Front disc brakes "clunk"

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
richard_v

Front disc brakes "clunk"

Post by richard_v »

I have 4 Vibes in the family. Mine is a 2008. I am experiencing a pronounced "clunk" from the front brakes as follows:Whenever I back up and apply the brakes without any noises. When I put it in drive, the first time I hit the brakes going forward they "clunk". It's coming from both sides. This noise is not heard in any of my other Vibes. Are the front brakes loose in some way? Can the pads be sized incorrectly? The dealer says it's nothing to be concerned about. I have my doubts. It's still under warranty. Any ideas?
keithvibe

Re: Front disc brakes "clunk" (richard_v)

Post by keithvibe »

take it to an independent shop and tell them the concern. To have them simply look at the problem shouldn't cost you a dime.But from the sounds of it it could be various things. Anything from a shim that is missing, to the lack of grease on the shims, a pad that doesn't belong on the car. Has the brakes ever been worked on recently?
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

i have the same problem..ever since i lowered the car it does it the first time i brake..but after that it's fine..we have a few corolla's at work and they do the same thing..i was beginning to think it was a toyota thing..but i dont know
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

it's possible that the slide clips are worn out (not likely), the pads are likely shifting.. It really shouldn't be a concern, but some lube might be on order... Welcome to GV BTW!!We do have a suspension and brake section, for future reference..
bull77

Post by bull77 »

i hear the same thing here -- only happens once after i reverse and then put it in drive. I asked the dealer and they said it was normal as long as it doesn't clunk at every stop. :/
renate

Post by renate »

Same thing with mine.Only after I put it in reverse and then in drive.The first time I brake after that I hear the "clunck".
Renate and "Babycakes"2008 Stealth/graphite VibeAuto tranny. 16" aluminum wheels,steering wheel cover,front seat covers,Sony stereo w/mp3 jack and satellite ready,Alarm system,proud parent of U.S.Marine magnet
Tubaryan12

Re: (renate)

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Quote, originally posted by renate »Same thing with mine.Only after I put it in reverse and then in drive.The first time I brake after that I hear the "clunck".Same here. I think it's normal. I had the same brake pads on the car for over 80k miles.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
Kamikaze

Re: (Tubaryan12)

Post by Kamikaze »

Mines does the same thing. good to hear I'm not alone... There's nothing loose in th pads or clips, they are tight, must just be something within the car... I wonder if the Matrix's do it too, if the Corolla's do, I'd assume the same thing with the Matrix's.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
silvrhawk7

Re: (Kamikaze)

Post by silvrhawk7 »

this may not be relivent, however what are the outside temps when this happens?? I seem to get something similar to this the early am if it is cold or wet outside.....
In Memory, taken too early in a rear end collision
Sunrise: June 2006, Sunset: Jan 2015 :cry:
Miles 129,000
2006 Silver Mono, Base 4-Speed auto.
In Memory of Pontiac Motor Division 1926-2010
In Memory of the Pontiac Vibe 2002-2009
Kamikaze

Re: (silvrhawk7)

Post by Kamikaze »

Quote, originally posted by silvrhawk7 »this may not be relivent, however what are the outside temps when this happens?? I seem to get something similar to this the early am if it is cold or wet outside.....Doesn't matter... I've had it happen in the mornings when it's 30 degrees out and in the summer when it's been 90 degrees out.. but it seems to only really happen when I back up and then go fwd... also rain or shine... (so everytime I park my car in my garage because I back into my garage)
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
renate

Post by renate »

Agreed the outside temp doesn"t matter.The only time it does happen is everytime after I have used reverse and then go forward,the first time I hit the brakes.....clunk.But I don' tremember it happening when I first bought the car,so I am going to ask the dealer next time I go in for an oil change.
Renate and "Babycakes"2008 Stealth/graphite VibeAuto tranny. 16" aluminum wheels,steering wheel cover,front seat covers,Sony stereo w/mp3 jack and satellite ready,Alarm system,proud parent of U.S.Marine magnet
fiveoh

Post by fiveoh »

My 2007 does this...This is "normal." I had a 2001 Civic EX that did the same thing....When you replace the front brake pads, it might go away (hopefully).
Nelson2007 Vibe (Platinum - 1.8 - Auto)2007 Honda Odyssey LX1990 Mustang LX 5.0
richard_v

Re: (bull77)

Post by richard_v »

Thanks for the head's up on the right section to go to. It's my first time in one of these forums. So far I am quite please with what I see.Rick