New member introduction

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
beemerphile1

New member introduction

Post by beemerphile1 »

Wow, great forum here, I'm glad I found it. I have been reading for hours so far absorbing all the great information.I am not officially a Vibe owner yet but I have given a deposit and the dealer is looking for the model and options I want. It has been an exhausting search so far. I plan to soon own a Vibe base 1.8L with the preferred group, AC, and automatic transmission.In the last week I have taken test drives in the following vehicles;2009 Scion XB2009 Scion XD2009 Honda Fit2009 Honda Civic2009 Chevrolet HHR2009 Chevrolet Cobaltand the 2009 Vibe.I choose the Vibe! Here in Ohio, Pontiac is offering supplier pricing together with $2,500 in cash incentives. My rich Uncle Sam (in the White House) is also going to contribute $4,500 when I trade in my old Grand Marquis. It all works out to a pretty good deal.I will shortly be adding a trailer hitch receiver so that I can tow a utility trailer with my BMW motorcycle. The motorcycle is the reason for my user-name which I use in multiple forums.I look forward to getting to know you all and learning from you. As I become more educated about the Vibe, I will certainly be a contributor here. I'll post pictures once I get my new ride. It will probably be a couple of weeks. I have to wait till the "Cash for Clunkers" takes affect later this month.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Welcome! It was a good choice. Can't wait to see the pics when you pick it up.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
BlueCrush

Re: New member introduction (beemerphile1)

Post by BlueCrush »

Welcome to GenVibe! I would have made the same choice from that list. Post pics of the bike as well....
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
jake75

Post by jake75 »

That is what I call the essential configuration. No gears to shift, no sunroof to leak, no door locks to open with a key.I found this - "While the CARS Act makes transactions on and after July 1 potentially eligible for credits under the CARS program, interested dealers and consumers may want to wait until all of the detailed issues that must be addressed in the implementing regulations are resolved and the final rule is issued. Issuance will occur around July 24."
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Re: New member introduction (jake75)

Post by jake75 »

The inventory of '09's seems to be getting low here in the Columbus area. Haydocy has a few, as does Chesrown in Delaware. Obviously Cleveland is closer to you. The new 2003 Vibe I bought was a trade from a Cleveland area dealer so I guess it is not unusual for a Cleveland area dealer to get one from Columbus area. Pontiac.com has a locator function.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
808 Vibes

Re: New member introduction (jake75)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Welcome...how exciting you made a wise choice
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
bull77

Post by bull77 »

welcome to the site
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

Great choice, welcome to the site!
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

welcome to the forums, you're gonna love the vibe!
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Welome,Im new here also& still learnen the ropes.
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

cool. welcome to the family.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Thanks all for the welcome, I feel all warm and fuzy. LOL I should know this afternoon if they have found the Vibe I want. The 2009s seem to be disappearing fast, it is difficult to find specific ones with specific options. Lots of 2.4L but the 1.8L are getting rare.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
miketothesteve

Post by miketothesteve »

Welcome!I'm just as new as you are, and have made the same decision.. sort of. Not sure on the 1.8 or 2.4, and I will be getting manual... But since I've never bought a new car before, I don't know how easy it will be to find...
jake75

Re: (beemerphile1)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »Thanks all for the welcome, I feel all warm and fuzy. LOL I should know this afternoon if they have found the Vibe I want. The 2009s seem to be disappearing fast, it is difficult to find specific ones with specific options. Lots of 2.4L but the 1.8L are getting rare.Did you do your own inventory search at pontiac.com?
beemerphile1

Re: (jake75)

Post by beemerphile1 »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »Did you do your own inventory search at pontiac.com?Yes, to some extent. I found it difficult to use and the results are not very accurate. When finding some cars through Pontiac.com and then checking the dealers own websites, it seems that Pontiac.com is not up to date. I simply put $500 down with my local dealer and let them look.I just spoke to the salesman I have been dealing with and he is not able to find one for me. They have searched up to 250 mile radius. From reading between the lines talking to him, the cars are out there but the other dealers are not willing to work a trade. The 09s are in high demand due to the current incentives.I told him that I appreciated his help and all the time he has spent answering my questions and multiple test drives. But, I gave him until 1:00 p.m. to find me a car or the deal is off and I start looking myself.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I think the issue might be that dealers don't want to trade.chesrownpontiac.com shows three 1.8L at ac power pkg - red, while, silver.They are in Delaware, OH - probably 125 miles form you. I-71 S to exit at Rt36/37. I have not domne business with them - I mentioned them to someone on here from Minster (also about 125 miles from Delaware) who ended up buying there. Other local dealers include Tobin, Bob Daniels, Haydocy, Immke. I am sure there are others nearby as well.Or you could check the websites of Cleveland area dealers.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I also question a dealer who would ask for a deposit before spending the minimal effort it would take them to find you a car.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »I also question a dealer who would ask for a deposit before spending the minimal effort it would take them to find you a car. The salesman is not who does the searching. That is done by the sales manager. The salesman needs to have a deal to present to the manager. I gave them my credit card number and authorization to put $500 on it. I didn't have any problem with that, I understand they don't want me wasting their time. I spoke to him at 1:00 p.m. and he said "no luck". He said they never ran the CC number and have shredded the paper.You're right, the issue is that because they are selling well, no dealers will trade. The dealer holding the car knows they can sell it themselves. I found two properly equipped Vibes about 35 miles from me. Neither white or silver are my first choice but acceptable. My wife likes silver, I wanted the navy blue. I am going tonight after work and will probably pick one of them.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Welcome! I think the blue might be the more rare color - I've only seen one in a photo (other than here) - an AWD for sale locally.The other day when I was getting my spoiler installed, I walked the lot and the dealer had at least eight Vibes. I was surprised to see so many.When I bought I wanted blue or silver and had to travel an hour to the dealer that had a silver one with a stick.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »You're right, the issue is that because they are selling well, no dealers will trade. The dealer holding the car knows they can sell it themselves. I found two properly equipped Vibes about 35 miles from me. Neither white or silver are my first choice but acceptable. My wife likes silver, I wanted the navy blue. I am going tonight after work and will probably pick one of them.Saw a Navy Blue here 1.8L ac at pp but it is a 2010. No rebates as of yet.I think the usual practice is to trade, e.g. a Vibe for a Vibe - but the equipment might be different. The configuration you are looking for might be considered more popular - lots of basic features with none that unduly enhance the price. Also - I assume there is some expense in doing a transfer, especially if it is very far away. Sometimes dealers in the same locality will not transfer.
gwm

Post by gwm »

I hope that you're looking at some Vibes as I type this! Good Luck with finding what you want.As for dealers not wanting to trade vehicles, when my dealer found the Vibe that I wanted, 165mi. away, the other dlr. said,"No, I don't want a DX(dealer exchange), just come & take it off my lot 'cause I want to get rid of stock!" That sure sounded weird.
G.W. w/'09 Vibe GT (mfg.12/08) AT, in Red Hot Met., purch.06/19/09
bikeman1

Post by bikeman1 »

I kind of like the XD...but the xB is going to be a leader in the Ugly Car Revolution (stand aside, Aztec...)....I rented an HHR on the Big Island in HI in 2007, and ended up swapping that one and one other out because the tie rod bushings were shot and it shuddered like a braking freight train whenever going down hills with brakes applied....avoid!On that list the Vibe is a winner.... a great choice
Gamma Vibe ==> 2007 Base 5-speed, Neptune
Delta Vibe ==> 2009 Base 2.4L 5-speed, Red Hot Metallic
but still more bikes than Vibes....