Fuel mileage question for 2.4L owners.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
ToolGuy

Fuel mileage question for 2.4L owners.

Post by ToolGuy »

I MAY be getting one. Not the Soul we planned on, but that may change again before Nov. Anyway, my question is, what is the actual fuel mileage people get with the 2.4L and the auto transmission. From the Pontiac website, it does not look good at 21 City! Ouch! My 2.4L, 4 cylinder, CVT Jeep gets 25-26 CITY, all week long. Just wondering, thanks!
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

My first two tankfuls with a stick shift were 25 mpg.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

the worst i've gotten was 21.7mpg city but now that i use the midrange gas i'm getting 22.5-23mpg city. but on highway the best i've gotten was 29.9mpg but that was when i first got the car, haven't driven all highway in a long time hah i do wish the city would be better for a 4cyl car but at least it's better than the 14-15 mpg i was getting from my previous car =/
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
jake75

Re: Fuel mileage question for 2.4L owners. (ToolGuy)

Post by jake75 »

Chrysler needs to look at your Jeep and find out what they did out of the ordinary to get 25-26 mpg in the city. I only get 25-26 mpg in the city with my 1.8L Vibe (both the former 2003, and my new 2009) and I am a conservative driver. Those are the reasons I just closed my eyes to the 2.4L - the mpg and the fact that as a conservative driver I don't need 2.4L of power. Since I do not drive that many miles the added cost would not be that much - I did it more to save some gas for the rest of the world. My wife even has got me into the recycling mindset. I'm guess I am just one step away from getting a ponytail!{I do have automatic - too old to shift gears.}
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Re: (lowincash)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by lowincash »the worst i've gotten was 21.7mpg city but now that i use the midrange gas i'm getting 22.5-23mpg city. but on highway the best i've gotten was 29.9mpg but that was when i first got the car, haven't driven all highway in a long time hah i do wish the city would be better for a 4cyl car but at least it's better than the 14-15 mpg i was getting from my previous car =/Interesting - I know this is probably as much an unknown as what coolant GM uses in the Vibe, but I have read that higher octane gasoline (1) doe snot give better mpg in a car that is not desinged to use it, and (2) higher octane gas can do damage to an engine that is not designed to use it.The Shell site indicates that their higher octane gasolines have more additives that not only keep your engines clean but can reverse pre-exisiting carbon etc. build-up. I have bought the hype that Shell and other name brands have better additive packages than the federal minimum added to generic gasolines. I think they call it TOP TIER gasoline. Therefore I pass up the gas discounts at supermarket stations.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
ToolGuy

Re: Fuel mileage question for 2.4L owners. (jake75)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »Chrysler needs to look at your Jeep and find out what they did out of the ordinary to get 25-26 mpg in the city. I only get 25-26 mpg in the city with my 1.8L Vibe (both the former 2003, and my new 2009) and I am a conservative driver. {I do have automatic - too old to shift gears.}Well, it is mostly my driving style, but the Jeep is also front wheel drive only. Add the 4x4 and the mileage goes down. My wife sees 30 city with our 2003 Vibe, which is 98% of its driving, drving it like grandma of course! I also have a K&N drop in filter in the Vibe too.
gwm

Post by gwm »

So far, after 800 mi., I have logged the following mpg's: 1st partial fill-up - 24mpg(90% city) 2nd part. f.u. - 27mpg(75% city) 3rd part. f.u. - 28mpg(75% city)All of these were done with conservative driving(only stomped it once!), but not using any hypermiling techniques.As a reference, my 2003 Vibe base(1.8l) w/AT returned a lifetime of 28.3mpg(75% city). Here's hoping the 2009's w/2.4l will come close! My 2003 never gave me any trouble and w/49k miles, it will be going to my daughter.Good Luck with your decision!
G.W. w/'09 Vibe GT (mfg.12/08) AT, in Red Hot Met., purch.06/19/09
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

IS THAT THE E'OTECH 2.4WIFE GETS ABOUT 20/21 IN THE G6
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
ToolGuy

Re: Fuel mileage question for 2.4L owners. (TONY TAT2)

Post by ToolGuy »

Nope, the Chrysler 2.4L, World Engine. Replaced the old 2.4L now only used in PT Cruiser.
musicmanmu

Post by musicmanmu »

My max MPG was 31.38...but that was probably 90% interstate, going 70.My average is 27.63...but again, I drive mainly highway miles. My worst tank was 22.If you're that concerned about city mileage, just get a 1.8 Vibe. Or, keep your freakish Jeep that seems to outperform every other Jeep on the planet.
2009 Vibe GT - Navy Blue Metallic

ToolGuy

Re: (musicmanmu) Sorry if I offended all 2.4L owners!

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by musicmanmu »If you're that concerned about city mileage, just get a 1.8 Vibe. Or, keep your freakish Jeep that seems to outperform every other Jeep on the planet.Yikes, what did I say! First, we want a sunroof with a new Vibe. And thanks to Toyota, you have to get the 2.4L when you pick that option.And once again, I explained above how I get 25-26 MPG in my freakish Jeep. It is leased, due in Nov and there is no reason why a Vibe, which weighs less and has less HP then my Jeep, is not getting 25+ city. Relax, take it easy buddy! Sorry if I offended you and your 2.4L!
jake75

Re: (musicmanmu) Sorry if I offended all 2.4L owners! (ToolGuy)

Post by jake75 »

In re sunroof, I've never understood the logic of paying extra for someone to put a hole in a perfectly good roof but I know it is a must for some people. I have my own unique preferences and spending quirks so I am not throwing stones! As for Nummi not making the sunroof an option in the 1.8L, I wonder how many very profitable sunroof sales they have lost. Makes absolutely no sense to me.A very successful restaurant operator here once said, "we dont' have milkshakes on the menu but we have milk and we have ice cream so if someone wants a milkshake we'll make it for them."
michaelgt

Re: (musicmanmu) Sorry if I offended all 2.4L owners! (ToolGuy)

Post by michaelgt »

Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »Yikes, what did I say! First, we want a sunroof with a new Vibe. And thanks to Toyota, you have to get the 2.4L when you pick that option.And once again, I explained above how I get 25-26 MPG in my freakish Jeep. It is leased, due in Nov and there is no reason why a Vibe, which weighs less and has less HP then my Jeep, is not getting 25+ city. Relax, take it easy buddy! Sorry if I offended you and your 2.4L! Technically, there is a reason that a Vibe, weighing less and having less HP, could get worse. It depends on the transmission ratio's and the axle ratio. If the Vibe axle is geared numerically higher and the transmission ratio's does not compensate, it could not be "as efficient" at lower speeds. Does your company make tool's for Hyundai and Kia? The new Equinox is really sweet. I encourage you to stop by your local dealer and check one out.
ToolGuy

Re: (michaelgt)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by michaelgt »Technically, there is a reason that a Vibe, weighing less and having less HP, could get worse. It depends on the transmission ratio's and the axle ratio. If the Vibe axle is geared numerically higher and the transmission ratio's does not compensate, it could not be "as efficient" at lower speeds. Does your company make tool's for Hyundai and Kia? The new Equinox is really sweet. I encourage you to stop by your local dealer and check one out. Jeep has a CVT, other then it, I have no other experience or education on them and fuel mileage. Not sure on the tools, I do not work at that job anymore. My guess is no, since the tools probably come from China though. We may look the the Nox and Vue too, although more money. And I agree with you Jake75, except when the car was designed with a hole in the roof, structually, then it is OK with me!
jake75

Re: (ToolGuy)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »And I agree with you Jake75, except when the car was designed with a hole in the roof, structurally, then it is OK with me! But sometimes they leak, and I am absolutely unreasonably paranoid when it comes to water leaks - in my, house, in my basement, in my car etc.
jake75

Re: Fuel mileage question for 2.4L owners. (gwm)

Post by jake75 »

Check out "2009 Sprung a leak". It was a kinked sunroof drain hose!
ToolGuy

Re: (jake75)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »But sometimes they leak, and I am absolutely unreasonably paranoid when it comes to water leaks - in my, house, in my basement, in my car etc.No, I hear you, but I have had three so far and no leaks. The one had a rattle and was fixed. The issue in the thread you mentioned I have also heard of. The drain hoses can come off or get clogged. I guess it is just luck of the draw I suppose, but I don't question your thinking one bit. One thing for sure, water always wins!
ned23

Post by ned23 »

At 8000 mi. I'm getting about 24-26 in average driving. On road trips I get 28-31. For about the first 3000 mi I was only getting 21-26 in mixed driving and 26-28 on the road for the most part but it was also in the winter. That's with the 2.4L w/ 5-spd Auto. Quote »Yikes, what did I say! You said your Jeep was getting 24-26 in city/mixed driving. That's amazing. I know a couple of people with Jeeps and they report that they get about 18-22 for communting.
ToolGuy

Re: (ned23)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by ned23 »At 8000 mi. I'm getting about 24-26 in average driving. On road trips I get 28-31. For about the first 3000 mi I was only getting 21-26 in mixed driving and 26-28 on the road for the most part but it was also in the winter. That's with the 2.4L w/ 5-spd Auto. You said your Jeep was getting 24-26 in city/mixed driving. That's amazing. I know a couple of people with Jeeps and they report that they get about 18-22 for communting. Well that is good to hear! On my Jeep, it has a 4 cylinder engine as well... Same engine (or one of) in the Caliber and Patroit. So, not amazing really...I am not lying, I have calculated it time and time again. That mileage is city only... Not mixed. No reason to lie here. The Jeep's oil is changed when it has to be, always runs a clean air filter and tires are always aired up. All things that aid MPG, besides driving style. I have never put tires on a leased car, not about to on this Jeep either, another reason to keep them aired up. I am guessing the 18-22 you hear about if for a V6 engine and mixed, city and hwy? A friend here at work with a 4X4 Patroit, again same 4-cyl engine, get 2 points less then me. It is 4X4 and weighs more, so that again makes sense...
musicmanmu

Post by musicmanmu »

Sorry if I came across brash or rude...that's the Internet for you! I was just making a joke about your Jeep because as others have eluded to, it seems to get a much better city MPG than any Jeep I've driven or know of from friends. I would hang onto it if it got that good of mileage!

michaelgt

Re: (jake75)

Post by michaelgt »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »...As for Nummi not making the sunroof an option in the 1.8L, I wonder how many very profitable sunroof sales they have lost. Makes absolutely no sense to me.A very successful restaurant operator here once said, "we dont' have milkshakes on the menu but we have milk and we have ice cream so if someone wants a milkshake we'll make it for them."Another nugget of knowledge from the plants:It takes longer to assemble vehicles with sunroofs. Most assembly lines will not run more than 2 in a row. Of course, they could modify this process and produce less total vehicles but with more sunroofs.
jake75

Re: (michaelgt)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by michaelgt »Another nugget of knowledge from the plants:It takes longer to assemble vehicles with sunroofs. Most assembly lines will not run more than 2 in a row. Of course, they could modify this process and produce less total vehicles but with more sunroofs. I suspect it takes longer to produce cars with air conditioning, and with the power package too. This added time is no doubt reflected in the cost of those options. I would think that the price charged for a sunroof would also reflect that added cost plus hopefully some extra profit. I have always heard that the option heavy cars were more profitable for the manufacturer than the base configurations. I am sure if the dealer orders on 2.4L model were all with sunroofs NUMMI would make them that way and not refuse the orders because that slows down the line.
musicmanmu

Post by musicmanmu »

Yep, a friend with a 4 cyl. Jeep Patriot (2x4) reports around 27 highway and around 21-22 in the city. I know in good conditions and with the right driving you could easily hit the 28 or 29 MPG mark, but I just found it hard to believe that you could get 25-26 in that car with city driving. But if you are, keep doing what you're doing man!

genki

Post by genki »

For City driving I get around 26mpg. Though I get to drive to/from work during non-rush hour traffic Just went to the mountains this past weekend and I averaged about 32mpg for highway driving.
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Nope, the Chrysler 2.4L, World Engine. Replaced the old 2.4L now only used in PT Cruiser. Thanks I learn somethen new everyday
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
Ace

Post by Ace »

I've actually been getting pretty decent mileage out of my 2.4, so far with every tank i've averaged about 31mpgs, though this is with the manual transmission, which despite what Pontiac says, I personally believe that a manual, with a skilled driver will deliver better mpgs than an automatic.On top of that, I don't drive all that efficiently. Most of those miles were through mountain roads in Vermont, and well... I generally regard speed limits only as suggestions. On the last tank I spent quite a bit of time above 80 MPH, and still got 31mpg's.This is only about 2mpg's worse than my '03, with the 1.8 and a manual, so not a big difference at all really.
2003, Red, 1.8L, 5 speed Manual2009, Carbon Grey, 2.4L, 5 Speed Manual
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

ToolGuy,Shoot me a PM if you have any questions regarding the 2.4L for mileage and etc. If you are free one night next week, say Mon-Wed or Friday you could check out the 2009 2.4L Vibe we picked up. It replaced a 2003 with 160,000 +/- miles on it...
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
ToolGuy

Re: Fuel mileage question for 2.4L owners. (genki)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by genki »For City driving I get around 26mpg. Though I get to drive to/from work during non-rush hour traffic Just went to the mountains this past weekend and I averaged about 32mpg for highway driving.Excellent genki! Good to hear! Looks like you have a freaky 2.4L like my freaky amazing 2.4L and its fuel mileage!
ToolGuy

Re: Fuel mileage question for 2.4L owners. (ou.grizzly)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »ToolGuy,Shoot me a PM if you have any questions regarding the 2.4L for mileage and etc. If you are free one night next week, say Mon-Wed or Friday you could check out the 2009 2.4L Vibe we picked up. It replaced a 2003 with 160,000 +/- miles on it... Hey I was just going to IM you, as I saw you recently picked one up. Hope it is going necly for you and thanks for the offer! As we get closer to Nov, and if we are still going to get a Vibe 2.4L, I will contact you and piossiby we can hook up. You let me drive your Vibe and I will let you drive my Vette! V for V
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »Hey I was just going to IM you, as I saw you recently picked one up. Hope it is going necly for you and thanks for the offer! As we get closer to Nov, and if we are still going to get a Vibe 2.4L, I will contact you and piossiby we can hook up. You let me drive your Vibe and I will let you drive my Vette! V for V You are expecting to be able to find a new Vibe to your liking in November?
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »You are expecting to be able to find a new Vibe to your liking in November?Yes, or around there, when my Jeep lease is up. If we still go with another Vibe that is. We like the car and want the sunroof and a couple other things like our 2003 has, but just wondered on the 2.4L MPG. The MPG will dictate who drives it, since my wife drives further then me for work. Are you thinking that would not be possible?
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »Yes, or around there, when my Jeep lease is up. If we still go with another Vibe that is. We like the car and want the sunroof and a couple other things like our 2003 has, but just wondered on the 2.4L MPG. The MPG will dictate who drives it, since my wife drives further then me for work. Are you thinking that would not be possible? Assuming production ends in August, I would think inventories would be pretty well depleted by November.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »Assuming production ends in August, I would think inventories would be pretty well depleted by November. (removed), yes you are right! Dang it!
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »(removed), yes you are right! Dang it! Once in awhile I am right.I remember seeing ads showing special GM incentives ($1,000-$2,000) for people who had leases (any make) ending in the next few months. Seemed odd to me but maybe it was to compensate buyers for ending their lease early.
michaelgt

Post by michaelgt »

The availability of the new 'Nox should be high by November. I think things are starting to line up nicely!
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Regarding fuel mileage with a CVT, my understanding is that it is optimized because the engine can always choose the most efficient ratio and the ratios get smaller and larger than most (or all) regular autos or manuals.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
ned23

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by ned23 »

Quote, originally posted by Kincaid »Regarding fuel mileage with a CVT, my understanding is that it is optimized because the engine can always choose the most efficient ratio and the ratios get smaller and larger than most (or all) regular autos or manuals.Their great, except my understanding is that the main problem with CVTs is that they're having trouble designing them to handle any significant amount of power. When they do beef them up to handle more power, then they start to lose efficiency. Someone else chime in if they know more.
donaldj

Post by donaldj »

I have a 2.4 L 2010 and for my last fill up I have been getting, 27.8,27.4,28.9,28.9 or 10.18, 10.18, 9.7, 9.7 l/100kmThis has been highway and cityIs this good or bad?Don
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

It's a bit lower than what I average - but I probably have a higher percentage of highway than you. On my last tank - it had a lot more city running (some in deep snow with extra idling time trying to clear fogged windows after my kids went tobogganing), and I think I got about 9.2L/100km. That's the worst I've done to date other than when towing. I typically average around 8.0 or slightly higher this time of year, and closer to 7 in the summer (with minimal A/C usage).If it's largely city driving, it doesn't sound too unusual unfortunately. I think the 1.8 has a big advantage there. I just wanted the extra torque and bigger brakes for towing purposes in the summer. The added performance is a nice side benefit - but performance requires fuel...One of these days I'll get around to installing a vacuum gauge to keep closer watch as to what I'm doing with the engine. Since it's DBW, I'll be curious to see what IT may decide to do sometimes compared to what I'm telling it to. The vacuum gauge will tell instantly. I had one in my Sunfire and I still miss it. If I could find an A-pillar pod to mount it I'd be very happy - but I doubt it's possible with the curtain airbags.
vibolista

Re: (j42.snyder)

Post by vibolista »

Bit of a gap there from last year, so what did tool guy end up doing? 2.4L is going to soak up a little more fuel than the tiny 1.8L... especially mated to the auto. So what happened?
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I think I responded to a similar post a while ago. My 2009 Vibe GT, 5-speed manual, is getting exceptional mileage. I just discovered a neat forum that logs and tracks your mileage. Visit http://www.mpgtune.com/fillupH...=4740 and check it out. Let me know what you think ...................
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

So, for the last tank of gas or maybe two, I've practiced this hypermiling technique of coasting out of gear. I'm getting more in the habit as time goes on. I expected some improvement in my mpg.Just checked today as I've almost always achieved 25 mpg or more. I was excited to see how much it would improve.Last two tanks were 24.7 and 24.4 mpg. I know I did have to ferry a daughter back and forth to play practice/performance so that was a bunch of extra stop and go go go. We'll see what the next tank does. The last prior fill up netted me 25.5 mpg.
Notchy

Post by Notchy »

I get 28-32 hwy with mine
2009 Silver Pontiac Vibe
vibenvy

Re: (Notchy)

Post by vibenvy »

My overall average (typically 50% highway/50% city) since last May (when I started keeping track on MPG Tune) is 27.584. The highest I've gotten since last May is 33.970 with 100% highway driving. The lowest I've gotten since last May is 23.077. I have had the K&N Typhoon CAI and AEM Dry Flow air filter installed since July of 2009. My mom's overall average (typically 50% highway/50% city) since last May (when I started keeping track on MPG Tune) is 26.612. The highest she's gotten since last May is 29.951 with 100% highway driving. The lowest she's gotten since last May is 22.929. She has had the K&N Typhoon CAI and AEM Dry Flow air filter installed since July of 2010.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage