Vibe KUDOs rolling in a little late????

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
bikeman1

Vibe KUDOs rolling in a little late????

Post by bikeman1 »

Hi gang. Here are some recent google tidbits...http://www.ridelust.com/top-10-used-car ... ...htmland for the first time I can remember a number of reviewers (not all) prefer the Vibe to the Matrix, on various bases, even with the Vibes newfound baby fat.So the question arises: in closing NUMMI and dumping the Vibe, is GM simply a trapped yet resourceful wolf chewing off one of its more useful paws that got caught in the trap (or, as Maxwell Smart once offered, "would you believe, a ferocious Jack Russell terrier??") -- or is this all about dumping excess baggage and union costs from the NUMMI plant, and consummating a long-awaited divorce?? I have to be honest. I really love our vibes. One of them will bring a smile to my face most days . And I didn't come on line to gripe and be negative. But the common sense behind dumping this particular model (and a few other Pontiacs and Saturns) eludes me. The salt in the wound that as a taxpayer, I am implicitly an accomplice to this "new GM" venture (and to dumping the "old GM...). Ouch! Maybe I'm just being too sensitive....
Gamma Vibe ==> 2007 Base 5-speed, Neptune
Delta Vibe ==> 2009 Base 2.4L 5-speed, Red Hot Metallic
but still more bikes than Vibes....
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

this has been debated many a thread here...But gm just had to many cross platforms and made them a like..imo lost focus on what brand was suppose to do what. I also think they miss managed and didnt invest properly but whatever....
bikeman1

yep

Post by bikeman1 »

its for more powerful minds than mine to figure out...my wife says its simple. Whenever she and I decide we like something a lot, it soon is taken off the market! Sure enough, the NUMMI announcement came 2 days after we bought our third Vibe....I guess the good news is that well maintained Vibes are going to be around for a long time! So I'm going to chill and take a drive over Chestnut Ridge in the 2.4 L....what a gorgeous day (as it has been most of the summer...)
Gamma Vibe ==> 2007 Base 5-speed, Neptune
Delta Vibe ==> 2009 Base 2.4L 5-speed, Red Hot Metallic
but still more bikes than Vibes....
GMJAP

Re: Vibe KUDOs rolling in a little late???? (bikeman1)

Post by GMJAP »

ridelust.com doesn't appear to have too much of a clue, though. they cite the 2006 Vibe as a great used buy, but show a picture of the 2009 model. they also put one set of MPG numbers in the specs and another set in the paragraph below.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
silvrhawk7

Re: Vibe KUDOs rolling in a little late???? (bikeman1)

Post by silvrhawk7 »

Quote, originally posted by bikeman1 »So the question arises: in closing NUMMI and dumping the Vibe, is GM simply a trapped yet resourceful wolf chewing off one of its more useful paws that got caught in the trap (or, as Maxwell Smart once offered, "would you believe, a ferocious Jack Russell terrier??") -- or is this all about dumping excess baggage and union costs from the NUMMI plant, and consummating a long-awaited divorce?? I have to be honest. I really love our vibes. One of them will bring a smile to my face most days . And I didn't come on line to gripe and be negative. But the common sense behind dumping this particular model (and a few other Pontiacs and Saturns) eludes me. The salt in the wound that as a taxpayer, I am implicitly an accomplice to this "new GM" venture (and to dumping the "old GM...). Ouch! Maybe I'm just being too sensitive....Bikeman1 I agree with you on this and not speaking for anyone else, alot of people probably agree with you on this as well. I personally think GM shot themselves in the foot by getting rid of NUMMI, had they not done that, i would have considered their next car coming out of there. it is already bad enough they killed Pontiac and now the Vibe is the first to go.I have always liked the vibes, and had i been able to wait on a new car purchase years ago, i could have scored a 2003 or 04, but i am happy with my 06, and like i said i will drive it until it rots. Had i had to purchase mine again, i would have went with a 5-speed, power locks and windows, Keyless entry.Personally i dont think we will truly understand why GM did what they did to recover, because they had plenty of other options they could have done, and the first one should have been over the years was listen to their customers instead of assume what people should have, most of the true GM cars from 1982 - 2002 used the same technology and always stayed steps behind the competition. My 2000 Chevy S-10 was a perfect example of that. that truck only lasted 6 years with proper maintenance, it was bad engineering and design that killed it.Sorry, i didnt maen to fall off track here, even when my vibe is gone i will still always say it was a great car, where else could you buy a toyota at the GM price and finance options???
In Memory, taken too early in a rear end collision
Sunrise: June 2006, Sunset: Jan 2015 :cry:
Miles 129,000
2006 Silver Mono, Base 4-Speed auto.
In Memory of Pontiac Motor Division 1926-2010
In Memory of the Pontiac Vibe 2002-2009
ned23

Post by ned23 »

I'm actually thinking of buying a spare 2010 vibe and keeping it in "storage" for the future (storage meaning driving it <2000 mi /yr)
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...as Bob Barker used to say: "...the PRICE is RIGHT...!"
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A