Roof Top Boxes - Thule

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
brbo

Roof Top Boxes - Thule

Post by brbo »

My dad is looking to install a roof top box and after looking at some dimensions I've concluded his '06 AWD is small...Just wondering who may have used or has a box installed Thule or similar and the dimensions of the box itself and any pics would be great...Thanks for your info..PS the one he's looking at is the Atlantis 1600 XT Black (74"x17"x36")
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I don't have any pics of it, but you shouldn't have any issues with it. I haven't had that exact model on mine, but have had boxes on. Thule makes great stuff.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
ZubenElGenubi

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

We have a Yakima Space Cadet that we've used on my Vibe a couple of times:You might check out this thread some more info:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=28861
brbo

Re: (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by brbo »

Yeah I saw that pic in the search I did, I used your dimensions to justify the 1600 - it's pretty close overall but 16" longer,,, So it looks like you have it pushed all the way back - so did you have to remove the antenna ? and the hatch opens ok ?Cheers
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

If you have the stock antenna, it will probably have to be removed. I have a short stubby antenna and it worked fine with that.
Yeroc

Re: (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by Yeroc »

Hi...We just tried to get a Yakima SpaceCadet 15S that looks pretty much identical to yours onto our 2003 Vibe with factory roof rack and cross bars but there wasn't enough clearance between the crossbars and the roof of the car for the Yakima gripping mechanism. Are you using crossbars purchased elsewhere or how did you manage to get it on?Thanks,Corey
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

It probably won't fit with the factory crossbars. I have a great Yakima setup I'm trying to sell.
ChuckstrPT

Re: (Yeroc)

Post by ChuckstrPT »

Quote, originally posted by Yeroc »Hi...We just tried to get a Yakima SpaceCadet 15S that looks pretty much identical to yours onto our 2003 Vibe with factory roof rack and cross bars but there wasn't enough clearance between the crossbars and the roof of the car for the Yakima gripping mechanism. Are you using crossbars purchased elsewhere or how did you manage to get it on?Thanks,CoreyThe Thule cross bars I've got clamp to the side rails, and sit up higher. Would likely work with that setup. Andy
05 GT, Abyss Black, all tarted up...
Yeroc

Re: (ChuckstrPT)

Post by Yeroc »

Yes, no doubt that would work. I was hoping for a cheaper solution (using what I've got on the car already). From what I've seen, buying Thule or Yakima rack systems cost $200-300 here in Canada -- add on another $300-600 (depending on whether you buy new or used) for the box itself and you're looking at close to $1000 Canadian. From ZubenElGenubi's picture it looked like he managed to use the stock rack and crossbars which is why I was curious to hear how he did it.Corey
brbo

Re: (Yeroc)

Post by brbo »

Yeroc,Go to a local GM Dealer and check out their cross bars - much cheaper than Thule and they are made by Thule but with a GM Acc sticker on top of the badge..