I have a creaking sound when turning ??

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Sull

I have a creaking sound when turning ??

Post by Sull »

I have noticed the last couple days when I am driving slow or say doing a 3 point turn or what ever, I get a creaking sound from the front end somewhere. Sounds like something needs greasing ?? Anyone know what that might be and if I could fix it myself ?
Tein S-Tech | Tokico HP Struts | Kyowa KR-210 18x7.5 | Kumho Ecsta Spt 225/40/18Magnaflow Cat-Back | K&N Intake | Camcon | Tint 50% Fronts 5% Rear | TWM Short Shifter
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

You need to determine what it is first.. get someone to turn the wheel while you stick your head here n there.. Could be any number of things.. I'm not 100% if you can service the ball joints or not, I would assume so.. same for tie rod ends.. look around for Zerk fittings (grease fitting)
Sull

Post by Sull »

I'll see what I can do tomorrow.I was wondering if there were any grease ports under the car ?
Tein S-Tech | Tokico HP Struts | Kyowa KR-210 18x7.5 | Kumho Ecsta Spt 225/40/18Magnaflow Cat-Back | K&N Intake | Camcon | Tint 50% Fronts 5% Rear | TWM Short Shifter
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Hmm, went through my repair manual and didn't find anything on chassis lubrication.. nothing.. You could try the turn test with the car on the ground and on a jack to see if there is a difference..
Mavrik

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by Mavrik »

Is your Vibe lowered? if so, check your front strut top hat nuts. and also make sure the struts themselves are tightly secured to the strut towers. My 04 Vibe developed a noise in the front end on turns which went away after I tighened all that down.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
Sull

Post by Sull »

Yes it is lowered! I will check that when I get off work.You mean the 3 nuts on the strut tower, the ones you see when you open the hood ? What should they be torqued to ?
Mavrik

Re: (Sull)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by Sull »Yes it is lowered! I will check that when I get off work.You mean the 3 nuts on the strut tower, the ones you see when you open the hood ? What should they be torqued to ? Not sure the torque specs but I tightened mine as much as I could by hand. Also remove the center rubber cap in the middle of the strut to expose the strut top nut and make sure thats tight.But yes, I ment the three nuts you see on each tower. it may not be your fix but I know it solved mine.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
Kamikaze

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by Kamikaze »

Vibe doesn't have any grease zerks, at least most of them don't... only reason I could think of one that would be if something was replaced with a aftermarket one that does...I can tell you with confidence mine does not (06 Vibe Base)
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

could also be your end link has gone bad.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Sull

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by Sull »

Oh really. What is that exactly ?? Hopefully it's just loose strut nuts ....................................................
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

they look like these but longer.They connect from the strut to the sway bar
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
JustinVGT

Re: I have a creaking sound when turning ?? (Sull)

Post by JustinVGT »

Also check your wheel lug nuts. I've had some loosen before and they created a creaking sound while driving, scary to think. That happened a few years ago. I just happened to notice the same sound again this past weekend. It then occurred to me it might be the lug nuts, so I pulled over to check them out. Turns out a stud is missing, broken off! This same thing happened a year ago. I'll be replacing another stud this week.
Justin 2003 Vibe GT - Mille Miglia Evo5 18x8 Wheels (now stock)- Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (now stock)- Tein S-Tech Springs (now stock)- Injen CAI - Red Painted Calipers - Hella Supertone Horns - Polk Speakers - Bazooka RS8A-HP Sub - Kenwood Headunit - Still love my Vibe, but I've just turned it back into a basic daily driver.
ToolGuy

Re: I have a creaking sound when turning ?? (Sull)

Post by ToolGuy »

Also have your CV Joints looked at besides what else has been mentioned. Check the boots and make sure they are not cut open. If so, the joint is already gone.
Sublimewind

Re: I have a creaking sound when turning ?? (JustinVGT)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by JustinVGT »Also check your wheel lug nuts. I've had some loosen before and they created a creaking sound while driving, scary to think. That happened a few years ago. I just happened to notice the same sound again this past weekend. It then occurred to me it might be the lug nuts, so I pulled over to check them out. Turns out a stud is missing, broken off! This same thing happened a year ago. I'll be replacing another stud this week.Ditto... That is if you haven't... Do you torque your lugs? If not you should as well...Any of the things mentioned could be the issue, there are a lot of highly stressed moving pivot points.. lol.. add to it things that could be moving that shouldn't and it gets messy.. lol.. How much can you do on your own? Do you have a jack and jack-stands? that's a good place to start... If you get through the on the ground inspection, it might point you to something... Then you might want to put it up in jack stands and pull both front wheels, once you are on jack stands, you can use the jack to "load" each corner to see if you can reproduce something... Start with the easy and work toward the difficult..
Sull

Post by Sull »

OK thanks for all the advice. My nets has been down so I have not replied back. I will try some more stuff tonight and see what I come up with..Be in touch guys...
Sull

Post by Sull »

Before I went away for the weekend I re checked the strut mounts and also checked the wheels were torqued! Yes they are!I guess at this point I can jack the car when I get home Monday later in the day, I do have a jack and jack stands. Still I am very limited to what I can do, but I guess figuring out what is wrong would be the first part.All in all the car will probably have to go in arggg...