TWM Short Shifter question ?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Sull

TWM Short Shifter question ?

Post by Sull »

I installed my short shifter today and I recall reading in the instructions that the bend in the shifter should be pointing towards the front of the vehicle ... I think .. Anyhow to me it seems that when the shifter is in neutral, 2 and 4 it sits quite forward to the front of the vehicle , just wondering if I need to switch the shifter bar thingy the other way around ... what do you think
Tein S-Tech | Tokico HP Struts | Kyowa KR-210 18x7.5 | Kumho Ecsta Spt 225/40/18Magnaflow Cat-Back | K&N Intake | Camcon | Tint 50% Fronts 5% Rear | TWM Short Shifter
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

You are correct that the TWM installation instructions indicate that the bend in the shifter should be pointed towards the front of the car (see Step 15). This should be similar to the original shifter shaft installation.If you have problems or concerns, I'd give TWM a call. I don't have the short shifter (I wish), but have heard they have excellent customer service.
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
Herb

Re: TWM Short Shifter question ? (Sull)

Post by Herb »

Here's a shot from my install
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
Sull

Re: TWM Short Shifter question ?

Post by Sull »

I know what the instructions say... I read them, just to stupid to figure it out haha..Herb I cannot even tell which way it bends by that pic. Do you have any more or do you recall if you had to switch the shifter shaft the other way around ?? Just that when in the 2nd and 4th I feel that should be neutral ??Herb do you have stock shifter or TWM weighted one ?
Tein S-Tech | Tokico HP Struts | Kyowa KR-210 18x7.5 | Kumho Ecsta Spt 225/40/18Magnaflow Cat-Back | K&N Intake | Camcon | Tint 50% Fronts 5% Rear | TWM Short Shifter
Sull

Post by Sull »

Herb do me a quick favor if you will ?Quickly just unscrew you shift knob and pull off the boot. Is the shaft sticking directly up to the sky ?? Mine is. Probably right after looking at it with the shifter knob off
Herb

Re: (Sull)

Post by Herb »

Here's the shot you requested And here's a shot with the weighted Desert Eagle knob Although I did buy the weighted knob, I found that in Alberta climates it really isn't all that great to use. In the winter grabbing a stainless steel knob that's like -25 degrees C is not very comfortable.That and since I have a 6 speed I'm worried that any service guy would probably shove it into 6th thinking he's going into reverse so I've gone back to the stock knob for now.And as a reference, this is what the stock shifter looks like

Attached files
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
Sull

Post by Sull »

Great thanks!!! That's exactly how mine looks, just wanted to be sure...In all honesty do you think a "service guy" would actually look at the knob or just slam it in gear ?I have changed my sitting position a little and thinking about going back to the gym for some arm workouts hahaha jk, but seriously the shifter is much harder now and I think I will invest in getting a TWM knob. And your probably right in the winter I would have to take it off or wear gloves every time I drive because yes it will be cold, the knob never seems to warm up..PS. Have you or do you know of a Dyno in your area, I am trying to source one out in the Vancouver area or even where your at .. same distance either way...
Herb

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by Sull »In all honesty do you think a "service guy" would actually look at the knob or just slam it in gear ?Well it gives me a bit of piece of mind I think.Quote »I have changed my sitting position a little and thinking about going back to the gym for some arm workouts hahaha jk, but seriously the shifter is much harder now and I think I will invest in getting a TWM knob.It was tough initially with the stock knob, but it didn't take me too long to get used to it.Quote »And your probably right in the winter I would have to take it off or wear gloves every time I drive because yes it will be cold, the knob never seems to warm up..I threw my tuque over it for the first winter I had it. I guess I should have invested in some gloves.I chose the Desert Eagle knob because it was the heaviest that TWM had. If you are going to order from them you should also get the bronze shifter bushings to replace the stock rubber onesQuote »PS. Have you or do you know of a Dyno in your area, I am trying to source one out in the Vancouver area or even where your at .. same distance either way... I'd have to look it up, but I'm sure both Vancouver and Calgary should have at least one dyno
Sull

Post by Sull »

Cool. I was looking at the TWM Piston, it's a little lighter than yours. I will most definitely get the bronzoil bushings. Were they hard to install ?I am sure the shifter will feel normal again soon No worries on the dyno, I am just looking for someone who knows of one and what kind of costs.
Herb

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by Sull »Cool. I was looking at the TWM Piston, it's a little lighter than yours. I will most definitely get the bronzoil bushings. Were they hard to install?Not for me, mostly because everything that I would have had to remove to install it was already gone since I have a cold air intake. You'll have to remove your airbox to access the area, but after that it's pretty easy.Of course if you were to add a cold air intake or short ram intake this would be a good time to do it. I think you'll notice a nice increase in performance once you do, especially since you already have a Magnaflow. Take a look at Cosmo Racing, they have the best deal around. Quote »I am sure the shifter will feel normal again soon I think part of why it might feel unusual is because the whole system sits closer to the dash. The stock shifter unit sits about an inch further from the dash. Either way you'll get used to it in short order.
Sull

Post by Sull »

Hahaha I forgot to add my K&N short ram intake to my list of mods ( fixed now ) I took a look under the hood and saw what needs to be done, I will get those when I get the shifter knob, but I think I am gonna get a air/fuel wideband so I can play with A/F on my camcon ( it's is in the mail ).For some odd reason I really felt I wanted to redline my car yesterday, in first gear I hit the governor or w/e and the car totally shutdown for a split second hahah
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

Do you guys feel that the shifter helps? I've got an 04 gt and the shifter has to be one of the sloppiest ones I've ever felt, it's ridiculously imprecise feeling. The throw doesn't bother me but do you think brass bushings would help cure that "shifter slop"? Is the shifter with the price?
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
Herb

Re: (wyatt89)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by wyatt89 »Do you guys feel that the shifter helps? I've got an 04 gt and the shifter has to be one of the sloppiest ones I've ever felt, it's ridiculously imprecise feeling. The throw doesn't bother me but do you think brass bushings would help cure that "shifter slop"? Is the shifter with the price?Well as you can see above, the frame of the stock shifter is made of plastic which flexes, plus the stock rubber bushings all add to the sloppiness. This is one of my favorite mods for sure, and one of the easiest. No regrets, and definitely worth the cost for me.