Sucks when you realize your 36 month loan is a 48 month loan...

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
psiu

Sucks when you realize your 36 month loan is a 48 month loan...

Post by psiu »

Me and the wife both thought our loan on the Vibe (an 03 we got in Nov 06 under some stressful circumstances) was done in November this year. She asked me if I thought we should get another car when it was paid off to replace our 95 Neon which we also picked up in a bit of a rush when we needed a 2nd vehicle. I said yes, I had thought it was a good idea for awhile, but she then thought about our loan amount remaining and when we got home we checked the paperwork--48 months! Doh! We think we originally looked into a 36 monther, or maybe applied for one and got approved for a 48, but all the original paperwork is 48. Boo.So now the rustbucket gets some money dumped on it. Had a wheel bearing replaced today at the shop, need 4 new cheapy tires, and going to replace the oil pan and gasket and flush coolant myself now. I drive the Vibe when I am working (low voltage electrical construction) and she is in nursing school and starting clinicals in the fall so we both need reliable transport.Have to push back my AWD Vibe dream a bit further back now. So keep those 07's in good shape! I want one in a year!
djb383

Re: Sucks when you realize your 36 month loan is a 48 month loan... (psiu)

Post by djb383 »

From my experience, the Vibe cooling system can be somewhat tricky to completely 'burp' after a flush. For several days after the flush, check the coolant level at the radiator (ENGINE COLD, remove rad cap) making sure the coolant level in the rad is all the way up into the neck. Add as necessary and also check the coolant level in the overflow bottle.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
psiu

Re: Sucks when you realize your 36 month loan is a 48 month loan... (djb383)

Post by psiu »

Oh no no not messing with the Vibe--I trust my mechanical expertise on the Neon only The Neon is the rustbucket, the Vibe is our baby. We plan on running that into the ground, or at least 200K miles at least.The bitter cold may have done a number on the Neon--I think we might've blown the head gasket but going to drain it all out and see what happens after fresh fluids all around.Have to balance any fixes with the fact it's an old car that we won't be keeping forever...but we can't pony up the dough for a replacement car right now anyway (well, not one that costs enough to not be in the same state of disrepair).
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

that stinkbut to add to your problem's they stopped making awd's in 06... they didn't bring back the option till 09
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
zionzr2

Re: Sucks when you realize your 36 month loan is a 48 month loan... (keithvibe)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »that stinkbut to add to your problem's they stopped making awd's in 06... they didn't bring back the option till 09Yeah what he said!!If some one is selling an '07 AWD run away fast and don't look back.Or tell them you are trading in a 1983 Corvette and that you might have a bridge to sell.
djb383

Re: Sucks when you realize your 36 month loan is a 48 month loan... (zionzr2)

Post by djb383 »

I believe there were 47 more '83 'vetts than '07 AWD Vibes.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

I bought my '06 AWD from a lot full of '07's. GT and AWD weren't offered on '07s.
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
ned23

Post by ned23 »

putting a little extra toward the principal can turn the 48 month into a 36-month loan. I get paid bi-weekly, and two months per year I get an "extra" check in a billing cycle. I would make an extra payment on the principal of the car then and got it paid off much more quickly, particularly if you start early.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

If she is in nursing school, she will need a safe and reliable vehicle. Not sure what school she is attending, but like any student in the medical field (med student or nursing student), she will be driving. Do not be surprised if she does drive 100+ miles round trip in a day to a clinical rotation.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I just briefly read this article, but it may be something that you can look into.http://autos.aol.com/article/cash-for-clunkers-101
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
psiu

Post by psiu »

I thought it was the 08s they only had the base model... Maybe I'll be looking at an 09 by then.Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »If she is in nursing school, she will need a safe and reliable vehicle. Not sure what school she is attending, but like any student in the medical field (med student or nursing student), she will be driving. Do not be surprised if she does drive 100+ miles round trip in a day to a clinical rotation. Good friggin gravy man, are you serious? She's going to Schoolcraft--hopefully being a community college with lots of medical facilities in the area that should help.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by psiu »I thought it was the 08s they only had the base model... Maybe I'll be looking at an 09 by then.Good friggin gravy man, are you serious? She's going to Schoolcraft--hopefully being a community college with lots of medical facilities in the area that should help.It depends on the institution; I am unaware of how Schoolcraft coordinates their clinical sites. I would advise your wife to call some of the faculty even before she starts and find would where the clinical locations are at to get a general idea.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
psiu

Re: Sucks when you realize your 36 month loan is a 48 month loan... (ou.grizzly)

Post by psiu »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »It depends on the institution; I am unaware of how Schoolcraft coordinates their clinical sites. I would advise your wife to call some of the faculty even before she starts and find would where the clinical locations are at to get a general idea. Seems to be like pulling teeth to get information out of them about how things will actually go.She's gotten all the non-nursing classes done now, been getting them done for the last couple years while working full-time. Depending on how class schedule plus clinicals goes, she *may* keep working full-time. Which would be impossible if she didn't at least have all the other classes done, but depending on the hours these things end up being, it might be impossible anyway. She works at Costco so we have good benefits through them plus good money, part-time would be okay but definitely hurt.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Any update on what your wife's schedule looks like?
psiu

Post by psiu »

A little bit. They had a listing of the major clinical locations they use, all relatively close, furthest being Ann Arbor. Mostly in the Schoolcraft residency area (Farmington, Plymouth, Livonia, Northville, Garden City, Westland etc).Schedule wise I guess they don't find out until about 2 weeks before at best.She also volunteers at the new Providence hospital in Novi. Which is kind of cool, I got to work there during construction (did some data/phone and then the nurse call and paging systems).
ou.grizzly

Re: (psiu)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by psiu »A little bit. They had a listing of the major clinical locations they use, all relatively close, furthest being Ann Arbor. Mostly in the Schoolcraft residency area (Farmington, Plymouth, Livonia, Northville, Garden City, Westland etc).Schedule wise I guess they don't find out until about 2 weeks before at best.She also volunteers at the new Providence hospital in Novi. Which is kind of cool, I got to work there during construction (did some data/phone and then the nurse call and paging systems).New Park is nice from what I hear; have not been out there for myself...