What is with the paint?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
bassclef65

What is with the paint?

Post by bassclef65 »

Hi everyoneJust wondering how everybody's paint is holding up on their 2009's. I bought a 2009 Carbon Grey Vibe in Aug and I must say in the 20+ years I've been driving and owning cars I have never had paint chip this easily before. It seems everyday I am finding a new chip some where mostly on the hood. Has anyone had success getting a repaint under warranty?Thanks
Caretaker

Re: What is with the paint? (bassclef65)

Post by Caretaker »

my hood was repainted due to the acid rain damage. If you are correct, it would appear that the lasers at NUMMI are just as bad as the first generation Vibe (the worst paint in history of car making), and that I'm lucky I got my hood repainted because of acid rain. However, although the hand painted hood seems to have a much thicker coat of paint than the rest of the car, it comes with specks of dirt blasted in (which is normal with any non laser, non environmentally controlled aftermarked paint job). My 2003 Vibe's hood looks like it has been walked over by someone wearing golf spikes. I don't think the first generation Frosty White was clearcoat, so that might account for the less than stellar paint appearance over these 7 years.
shemp

Post by shemp »

the paint on my car seems fine so far. Dents keep materializing however, but I believe careless door openers are to blame for that.
2009 Vibe GT
Caretaker

Re: What is with the paint? (shemp)

Post by Caretaker »

yep, I got that too on my '09. It mystifies me where these small scratches and dings come from (stupid squirrels)
shemp

Re: What is with the paint? (Caretaker)

Post by shemp »

laser? used in the paint system? that's a new one for me... can you elaborate on that?
2009 Vibe GT
Silversn95

Post by Silversn95 »

Same colour Vibe here with no problems so far but we don't have many miles on it either (only about 4000kms or so).
2009 Pontiac Vibe - 1.8L 5-speed 1SB Carbon Gray Metallic with 20% tint
NibCrom

Re: (Silversn95)

Post by NibCrom »

The paint on my hood is fine, but the bottom of the sides is falling apart pretty fast. It is seriously a terrible paint job.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Sorry, I meant Phasers!!Anyway, there aren't little gnomes hand spraying your car as it comes down the assembly line, and its not dipped like an easter egg.I just sent you an IM explaining the process in short. Robots rule the day. It is all computer (laser) driven.
shemp

Post by shemp »

I got your IM.... I'm suprised to hear that they paint from canisters instead of using drums and hoses like I've seen in most plants. The amount of paint that gets wasted everytime the lines need to be flushed (everytime you have to change colors) is expensive and wasteful and certainly isn't doing the environment any favors. I don't know what compromises they had to make or how well it works, but it sounds like an innovative system.
2009 Vibe GT
shemp

Post by shemp »

I should qualify the above post by saying that sometimes an idea sounds like it would be more efficient than current methods, but in the end proves not to be so.In the case above, how often do the bottles need to be cleaned and flushed? What is the scrap-rate? What is the rework-rate compared to conventional systems? What was the additional tooling hit? How much maintenance is required by comparison? etc. ...When you work all that out, you might find that for certain production volumes a conventional drum & hose system is still the best choice.To Toyotas credit, you don't know unless you try it.Sorry to veer off topic.
2009 Vibe GT
ColonelPanic

Re: What is with the paint?

Post by ColonelPanic »

Glad to see the investment NUMMI made in the paint shop a few years back really paid off!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

he, he....rework rate??? they should definitely do a rework on my 2003 Vibe..... what a joke of a paint job. I want my money back NUMMI!!!
goochsmooch

Post by goochsmooch »

Wow, I didn't know that the first gen. Vibes had crappy paint jobs too. My '09 has quite a few chips in the hood and a couple scratches on the side. It is by far the most delicate paint job I've ever encountered and it's my biggest disappointment with the car. I envisioned owning this car for at least 10 years, but now I shudder to think about how it will look by then.Does anyone know if this is something that the warranty would cover if one were to lose a significant amount of paint in the first 1-2 years?
2009 1.8L Vibe - Manual
keithvibe

Re: What is with the paint? (goochsmooch)

Post by keithvibe »

thin paint='s less weight='s better mpg LOL
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Caretaker

Re: What is with the paint? (goochsmooch)

Post by Caretaker »

no kidding: I was SCRUBBING my 2003 with Ajax powder and a hard bristle brush just to get the grime off of the frosty white paint the other day. The car looks great now, but now reveals the hundreds of paint chips and scrapes due to the "robots not doing their job." Part of the reason I went with a 2nd Vibe is that I was told by a NUMMI supplier that the quality control had significantly improved. I had hoped that meant the paint improved too. From what you all are saying, perhaps the first generation robots were not fired like they should have been.
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

I just waxed my white 2009 for the first time today. Only problems found so far are a few small pieces of lint that found their way into the paint, and a moderate case of rail dust - mostly at the front of the car.Already have 2 or 3 chips on the front bumper, but our roads are still covered in crap from the winter here. I travel about 80% highway, so I wasn't too surprised - just a little bummed - only 2 weeks old.
Tailslide

Re: (j42.snyder)

Post by Tailslide »

My 12 year old ford pickup had fewer chips in the paint than my 09 vibe after 4 months. Worse paintjob ever.
Dog Hauler

Post by Dog Hauler »

250 miles on the new '09 and already a chip in the hood. I just ordered invisimask from 3M for the front bumper.
bodhi_tree777

Re: (Dog Hauler)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

i have an 03, silver, and the paint was starting to go south in the past year. A few good size chips, and tons of minute little scratches and spots. I got lucky, though, had some storm damage and just got a free respray of my bumper, fenders, hood and roof courtesy of my insurance company . Hopefully this will hold out for another 5-6 years at least.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

they don't use waterbased paint like GM does. it is thinner based which is softer.GM electrocoats its vehicles resulting in a harder thicker paint coat.and clear coat? Toyota doesn't use it on the vibe at least not on the 03 thru 06 models
new vibe man

Post by new vibe man »

i have an 09 black gt. i bought it around september it has around 8500 miles now and the hood is COVERED in small chips. and i mean COVERED. i doubt it will happen, but i hope there is some kind of recall done or something. i'm just waiting for the rust to start.
bassclef65

Re: What is with the paint? (new vibe man)

Post by bassclef65 »

Ya it's kind of disheartening I was so proud of the car when I first got it now I hate to wash it and find another chip. I'am going to try this stuff called Langka chip and scratch repair. Anybody have any experience with this product?
shemp

Post by shemp »

Have any of you guys that have paint issues been back to the dealer? This should be covered under the warranty. If lots of people are having this issue, Pontiac may have to issue a service bulliten or something (if they haven't already). Whatever the case, you should definetly document the issue with the dealer. ...my $0.02
2009 Vibe GT
scherry2

Re: (shemp)

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by shemp »Have any of you guys that have paint issues been back to the dealer? LOL yea we have. since 2002. the greatest reply I got was to quit driving down gravel roads. its just another problem with the Toyota/GM relationship. GM refuses to warranty Toyota paint or Toyota refuses to honor warranty claims. you decide but its been going on for 7 years.
ColonelPanic

Re: (scherry2)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Heh, much griping has been done but they haven't done crap about it. I can't think of a single member that got a repaint.When I brought it up to the dealer he just told me "yup, m's rock chips!" Yeah, no *#$% sherlock! They shouldn't be there, nor should those bugs that got etched into the paint and won't come off. Do something about it! A guy I work with was telling me about the time he detailed his old bosses Corolla for him and how nasty the front end was, couldn't get the bugs off, etc.. "That one came from NUMMI," I replied. I don't think those Tacoma people that have little to no paint or even primer on the inside of the cab and were getting rust got much help either. They were complaining about chipping too but Toyota didn't do anything about it.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

I finally cleaned the car and found the hood and roof was completely covered in chips plus they are starting to rust. Gonna have the roof and hood painted next year before the whole thing goes south.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
zathrak

Post by zathrak »

I am looking at getting a Black '09 (or '10) Vibe GT and I do a considerable amount of highway driving in Michigan. As some of you know, Michigan was rated one of the top 5 worst roads in the nation lol. Anyhow, should I not get black? I was also planning on doing whatever I could to protect the paint job and prevent dings and scratches, perhaps by the 3m products. Do they work? Will I be disappointed? It makes me nervous seeing reports on such a poor paint job. I wonder if the '10 paint job is better lol.
Dog Hauler

Re: (zathrak)

Post by Dog Hauler »

I just put on 3M invisimask on the front end to protect it from chips.
zathrak

Re: (Dog Hauler)

Post by zathrak »

I've heard that there is a major performance difference between the 3m invisimask and an actual paint sealant. Does applying a paint sealant really do a good deal for vehicles...particularly like the black vibe I'm about to get?
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Ive had mine about a year and thinks the paints ok...I think the shade of grey has gotten a little lighter though...brand new seemed to be a bit darker shade of grey (still looks great though). My 09 carbon metallic black vibe's paint is fine other than a few stone hits on the hood which are unavoidable..and a mysterious bit of paint missing right next to the rear windshield that's not very big or noticeable.. ohhh the clear coat has gotten all scratched in a bunch of places from a harsh North east winter. It was outside in a bunch of ice storms and I could have been more careful scraping it off when I had to go drive....ummm gotta be more careful next winter I guess..Despite this the car still looks very new
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Hi,Before I purchased my 2007 Vibe I did basic online research on the car. The usual things, reliability, handling, fuel mileage, customer satisfaction, etc. Virtually every place I looked I found complaints about the quality of the paint.Knowing this I purchased my Vibe anyway based on the many other positive points.I am not surprised or unhappy that my paint chips easily, I expected it and knew about it before hand. Would I be happier if the paint was better, for sure I would be but anyone who did any pre-purchase inquiries should have known about the ongoing paint issues and expected them.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
BurnOnyx08

Re: The Paint??

Post by BurnOnyx08 »

Have had my 08 for about 16 months and there is a good sized paint chip on the A pillar and multiple flecks off the hood. My 88 Civic after 10 years had zero paint chips. Thinking a good wax will buff out the smaller ones but not too impressed with my abyssmal abyss. Lol.
lannvouivre

Re: What is with the paint? (scherry2)

Post by lannvouivre »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »and clear coat? Toyota doesn't use it on the vibe at least not on the 03 thru 06 modelsWait, what? That would certainly explain a few things...but I don't understand why they wouldn't have a clear coat?
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Some of my paint chips have started to rust. One on the door too.
Zimm

Re: (09vGT)

Post by Zimm »

Quote, originally posted by 09vGT »Some of my paint chips have started to rust. One on the door too. same here. zimm=not happy.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
star_deceiver

Re: (Zimm)

Post by star_deceiver »

I've got a couple at the top of the windshield and front of the hood that are starting....
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)