Things you've hit in your car.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Amtron

Things you've hit in your car.

Post by Amtron »

The title is fairly self explanatory, let's here about the biggest or worst thing you have hit in your Vibe or other car!I'll start it off:My girlfriend, my buddy and I were driving home after a party, following some roads out in a wooded area. I was doing probably about 90-100 km/h an hour and a very large cub, or small female black bear jumped out in front of the car. It all happened really fast, but I was able to swerve hard enough to only hit it with my front wheel well. We stopped farther down the road (on fear that if we stopped there Winnie the Pooh would maul us) and inspected the damage, which only turned out to be a slighty lifted side skirt, and lots of hair stuck in the wheel well. Plus, since my car was very dirty, a huge streak on the side of the Vibe from where the bear rolled off of. The bear must have run off because we couldn't find it.Now sometimes you can find comedy in these kinds of things. (This may be a Canadian thing, but for my fellow Canadians here it is) The best line of the night was my drunken friend who after we stopped said this:"Dude, I had no idea what was going on...all I saw was a giant Timbit, and then I thought we were dead for like 3 minutes..."
Merzbow

Re: Things you've hit in your car. (Amtron)

Post by Merzbow »

Never heard of someone hitting a bear lol congrats!I haven't hit too many things in my Vibe-A Rabbit-Fire hydrant (actually the fire hydrant hit me but no one believes me)-Friends brand new Stratus the day he bought it: He brought it over to show me 2 hours after he picked it up from the dealer. I wanted to take him for a ride to show him my new exhaust and I rolled backward into his Stratus. He parked behind my garage spot and no one ever does that so I didn't even think and wasn't paying attention. I was only idling backwards so there wasn't even a scratch on either car but it was still funny as hell.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
ajflan

Re: Things you've hit in your car. (Merzbow)

Post by ajflan »

Lets see...One possumOne raccoonOne duckA garbage canTwo curbs
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
altimar

Post by altimar »

The only thing I've ever hit was a raccoon, in my previous car, a Saturn SC2, with no damage. Though I have done my best to smear many a squirrel into the asphalt. Don't ask.
2007 Vibe: Wave monotone, Auto, sun & sound
808 Vibes

Re: Things you've hit in your car. (Merzbow)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Quote, originally posted by Merzbow »-Friends brand new Stratus funny as hell.Yep. Now that's funny. Nothing in this car. Got a bird in my Grand Am though. Felt something hit my windshield and saw it rain feathers...never did see a body though, so hopefully it still managed to fly off half nekkid...
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
shemp

Post by shemp »

Not much in my car, but I hit a deer with my motorcycle this summer. The deer faired much better than I did... he ran off in the woods, and I ended up with broken ribs, road rash, a jacked up ankle, and lots of mangled cycle bits. I'm still on the right side of the dirt though, so I'm not complaining.
2009 Vibe GT
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

I know of another person who hit a deer with their motorcycle near 28 Mile and Mound this Summer/Fall. The brand of motorcycle was a BMW.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
joholste

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by joholste »

my buddy and i were at an airport and for some reason decided we were going to put a bottle in the top of one of the cones as we drove past so i was driving and he was going to do the deed, and i thought that i was right next to the cone but apparently i was right on top of the cone and it managed to rip up my plastic undercoverings and broke my right fog light
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
DarkSpork

Post by DarkSpork »

I forget what the animal is actually called but here they call them "Dak Rats". They are rodents that live underground. When spring time comes around in North Dakota they all dart across the roads and some of them are eventually bound to get run over. Once there are dead ones more come out to feed on the corpse of the deceased ones. Where I am going with this is once the snow on the roads melts the roads are recovered in these rodent carcasses, I have hit a few, its nearly impossible to avoid and I don't feel any remorse.
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

well, as you all know, my dealer obtained my '09 from another local dealer, and while performing checkout, backed into a floor jack, puting a crease along the back wheel well. Then a few weeks ago, a small tree jumped out into the road and side swiped me! The town planted some new trees along the road and one of them got blown over in a fierce wind storm right at the moment I arrived. I was able to polish out most of the rub marks/scratches.
vibe-04

Post by vibe-04 »

London Ontario.Backed into a gas main cracking the pipe in half. Visions of gas explosions filled my head so I called 911 immediately, evacuated the houses near by then looked at the gas main and saw a cut off valve just below the broken concrete (this should be a tip off, why was the cut off valve below the concrete?) Grabbed a wrench and viola, gas stopped. Fire police, the gas company, TV news sudden appear everywhere. I calm the fire guys telling the gas is shut off, they all slap my back and say "good job" and then I remind them I was the idiot who hit it in the first place.Gas company wanted to sue big. My insurance guy finds out the gas co put the main on the wrong side of the house and didn't put up any bumper stop (those yellow posts), and says, "no, we're suing you for damages to the car." They backed down.I 've since learned when backing, the car will go where your eyes go so don't glance sideways.Andrew
Raven

Re: (vibe-04)

Post by Raven »

Deer, raccoon, skunk, cat, grouse and unfortunately a mink.Just missed a medium sized black bear with my motocross bike and I mean inches. Also just missed a flying wild turkey.
musicmanmu

Post by musicmanmu »

Back when I had my Envoy, I was driving back from a show with my band at 2 in the morning on I-64 between Charleston and Huntington, WV.About halfway home, with the cruse set on 70, I see three deer in the MIDDLE of the INTERSTATE, grazing as if it were a wide open countryside. I'm on a collision course with them all, but two of them dash aside just in time. The third, which was probably a fawn, did not, and was mowed down like a weed. I pulled off immediately and to my surprise, there was no damage to my car whatsoever - just some fur in the grille and other spots on the bumper.I guess that was pretty lucky, since I traded the car in for my Vibe only months later!
2009 Vibe GT - Navy Blue Metallic

Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Recently, when we were going to get my GF's Aveo, we were traveling back on the highway and she ran over a 3'x3' chunk of plywood on the road, which proceeded to fly up and nail the Vibe,... scuffs and scraped.. Backed into the GF's friend in the driveway, skuffed paint again, nothing major, but it WAS the day after SHE backed into her brothers car... lol...
breezd

Post by breezd »

I haven't hit anything with the Vibe (that I know of...). But one day when I used to do delivery, I was driving down a highway and a hawk flew up from the grass median, hit right on the windshield and I could just hear it rolling across the top of the van and saw it drop onto the highway in my rear-view mirror... I felt bad
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

This was in my Camaro, but when I went to change the oil, I found bones and remnants of fur fried to the exhaust area. The only think I could think of were some cats that ran out in front of me the week earlier.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
bull77

Post by bull77 »

well for starters I've been hit more than i've hit things.1 -- guy plowed into me backing out of his parking spot at work --> $5000 worth of damage2 -- boss backed into the front corner backing out of her garage in her suv 3 -- while waiting to leave an Esso station, a guy backs into my bumper trying to leave -- left a nice scuff marki've backed into a snowbank and scraped a pole at a drive through bank machine ---
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

Lets see...1 turkey in my 99 Ford Explorer-minor damage1 snowbank in my 06 Vibe-no damage1 frog in my 09 Vibe... this was funny, I hit it late at night in the Adirondacks and thought he glanced off the bumper, the next morning I heard my daughter scream and ran outside, he was stuck in the front grill. I laughed my a** off. My daughter did not find it funny.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

In a '95 Camry, I was driving home on I-95 coming from work during a bad snowstorm. Traffic was doing 25 mph at best since the plows were just getting started and the roads were getting icy. Visibility was limited to just a few hundred feet. All of a sudden, I see a truck tire smack dab in the middle of the center (my) lane and I have three seconds to make a choice: swerve, and risk spinning out or hitting cars in the adjacent lanes, or straddle it.Well, a '95 Camry doesn't have the ground clearance of a Vibe... Even though I slowed down before the impact, I managed to catch the tire in the radiator support and drag it to the side of the road. I like to think that I took one for team that day as it could have been much worse.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
dragon64

Post by dragon64 »

The worse thing I hit or maybe I should say is reaped is one big a$$ skunk with a New Holland TR85 Combine harvesting wheat one year. Saw some movement in the wheat just ahead of the cutting table. Instead of running it decided to turn to spray. By the time I realized what it, needless to say, had already went through the cutting bar, up through the thresher and out the straw walkers. Was not a good scene or smell. The largest thing I ever hit with a car was an apartment building. A 1 Fd cap has enough juice to fire the engine and run long enough without the battery in the car to jump the curb and go about 5ftThe most unusual thing I came within inches of hitting was the tail boom of a Bell 205/ UH-1H painted flat black on the side of a country road in the middle of the night, near the US/ Canada border 26 years ago. No nav light or Tail numbers that I could see. When I stopped a couple large men wave me off and told me get that hell out of there. No reports of the chopper landing were made to the local RCMP, Transport Canada or the American agencies that I was able to determine that night. Although there were the impressions of the landing skids in the ground and several pairs of boot prints in the mud the following day.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Manual - DBW controller, Hydraulic engine damper, S/S brakeline retrokit,22mm solid Rear ARB, urethane rear coil dampers, Front strut bar with brake cylinder brace, PIAA 410 driving lights, PRM Intake Wilwood front brakes, Lexus hood lifts
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Things I've hit in my car:HornBrakesmy headsteering wheelcenter consoledashmy brother (yes, he was in the pass. seat.)hay
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Mavrik

Re: Things you've hit in your car. (BlueCrush)

Post by Mavrik »

First car I owned, I hit a racoon (big one) at 120KM. Didn't damage the bumper of the car but sure left a burning meat smell and my exhaust fell off the next day LOLWith the Vibe, I killed a couple birds, some kind of prairie dogs and a large rabbit while traveling across Canada back in 2005.Nothing so far in the STiMmmmmmm timbits...
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
NascarXprt

Re: Things you've hit in your car. (Mavrik)

Post by NascarXprt »

lets see.1 i hit a 97 camry in the rear.2 an egg hit my car by some stupid neighborhood punks3 an infinity QX45 slamed into me on my way to the movies4 after getting the car back rear ended another car this time it was a Mitsu diamante5 i hit water twice and the water hit back killing two engines.6 my mom had the car and was hit in the rear (only a little dent)7 a lot of curbs when i first got the car8 my very first time was when i was dog sitting for friends, i was in my moms 2000 Mazda MPV and backing out of the driveway backed into a parked mercedes benz. ( this was a cualdasach(sp?))surprising enough no animals were harmed in the making of my destruction.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
Mrizzle05

Re: Things you've hit in your car. (NascarXprt)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

ot: musicaman kinda looks like dane cook in his sig. Me:-the vibe ive only hit a tree branch about 18" long by 4" high that was clipped and spun into my lane. lucky ol me doin 70-ish couldnt avoid it. bent a rim.-got hit by wack-o exs sister, small dentSI:- got hit-n-run'd on driver door- kicked up a rock, sliced door molding- backed into friends car, small sratches in bumper- rear ended a lady (cuz some ugly se-r cut her off)Sooo bad luck in the SI which used to be a sexy car... go figure.
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
keithvibe

Re: Things you've hit in your car.

Post by keithvibe »

Things I have hit, not all with the vibe thoughLarge branchSquirelturtledeerbearboysnakeskunkbirdI think thats it Makes me look like a bad driver
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
808 Vibes

Re: Things you've hit in your car. (DarkSpork)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Quote, originally posted by DarkSpork »I forget what the animal is actually called but here they call them "Dak Rats". They are rodents that live underground. When spring time comes around in North Dakota they all dart across the roads and some of them are eventually bound to get run over. Once there are dead ones more come out to feed on the corpse of the deceased ones. Where I am going with this is once the snow on the roads melts the roads are recovered in these rodent carcasses, I have hit a few, its nearly impossible to avoid and I don't feel any remorse.Is it Mongoose? That's what we have. I have seen mongoose run up in the middle of the road to check out another's corpse. Our roadkill consists of: mongoose, cats and the occasional slow-mo bird
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
renate

Post by renate »

I hit a rabbit the other morning.
Renate and "Babycakes"2008 Stealth/graphite VibeAuto tranny. 16" aluminum wheels,steering wheel cover,front seat covers,Sony stereo w/mp3 jack and satellite ready,Alarm system,proud parent of U.S.Marine magnet
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

These are some of my critter impacts. Not necessarly in the Vibe. In Fact the only creatures that I hit with the vibe are countless numbers of insects.I hit a turtle once. I didnt even see it. My dad said didnt you see that turtle you just ran over.I hit a dear once. Mentioned that story once or twice in these forums.I have hit small birds in a few cases.I've had several close calls with squirels, cats, dogs, etc. but never hit one yet.When I was young and the whole family was in the car My dad hit a pigeon on the German Autobahn doing about 80-85 mph. It hit the windshield dead center on the passenger side where my mom was sitting and it spooked her pretty good. Thankfully no damage was done.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

1 bird in flight. Made quite a mess on my hood.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
altimar

Re: Things you've hit in your car. (NascarXprt)

Post by altimar »

Quote, originally posted by NascarXprt »this was a cualdasach(sp?)The spelling nazi in me compels me to let you know it's "cul-de-sac".Main Entry: cul–de–sacFunction: noun Etymology: French, literally, bottom of the bagDate: 17381 : a blind diverticulum or pouch 2 : a street or passage closed at one end 3 : blind alley
2007 Vibe: Wave monotone, Auto, sun & sound
NascarXprt

Re: Things you've hit in your car. (altimar)

Post by NascarXprt »

Thank you!
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
musicmanmu

Re: Things you've hit in your car. (Mrizzle05)

Post by musicmanmu »

[QUOTE=Mrizzle05]ot: musicaman kinda looks like dane cook in his sig. QUOTE]That's a new one. Through time I've gotten: Dean Cain, Matt Damon, Bo from that one soap opera, and Clay Walker.But, I am from Boston, so there you go.
2009 Vibe GT - Navy Blue Metallic

808 Vibes

Re: Things you've hit in your car. (musicmanmu)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Quote, originally posted by musicmanmu »Dean CainDean Cain...oh yummy LOL
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
Digger

Re: Things you've hit in your car. (musicmanmu)

Post by Digger »

Many small critters. in the vibe. other cars; Deer, Garbage truck hit me,
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
high revin

Post by high revin »

Plowed over a large dog that jumped out in front of me on a nice curvey back road i was hauling a$$ and it jumped out didnt even have time to swurve knocked out right front fog light in doing so pushed it into my washer bottle and cracked it now i can only fill my washer bottle half way thought it was my radiator when i got out but just my washer bottle now i just tell eveyone thats where my ram air is lol, but really the real ram air i built is ducted from the lower grille, never a dull moment in the vibe!
DarkSpork

Re: Things you've hit in your car. (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by DarkSpork »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »Is it Mongoose? That's what we have. I have seen mongoose run up in the middle of the road to check out another's corpse. Our roadkill consists of: mongoose, cats and the occasional slow-mo birdNo, its not a mongoose, they are small rodents, I think they might be something similar to prairie dogs.
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
pick41

Re: (high revin)

Post by pick41 »

So far nothing in the Vibe but...... with a truck, Deer, dog, mailbox, and guard rail. Freightliner with a Motorcycle. Actually he hit me, but regardless. 65 MPH on the interstate. got hit by his front steps on the way to work. No more bike, but I'm still alive. Not bad for a tumble down the interstate at 5 am.
Pick2004 AT, AWD, Moon & Tune2006 - Mazda5 Touring1998 CBR 900RR RIP 10/97-8/08