New 2009 Vibe Owners Likes and Dislikes

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
shemp

New 2009 Vibe Owners Likes and Dislikes

Post by shemp »

Hi all. I picked up an '09 Vibe GT on August 1st, so I've had it long enough to come up with a list of pet peeves, and things I like about the car. I'd like to hear from other owners with their likes/dislikes as well. Some of my dislikes are nit-picky, I know, but I'm in the auto business, so I notice little things, and have some knowlege of how things can end up the way they do. Also, since I got the GT, I'm judging the car relative other $22K cars. I would judge certain shortcommings less harshly on a base 1.8 model selling for thousands less. Dislikes:- Hard surface of console armrest. This surface should have had some kind of soft cover on anything north of a stripped-out base model.- cupholders. Like that they are low and out of the way, and they are not horrible for one cup, but depending on size, the second cup is not held very well at all. Could easily be improved.- MP3 plug. IMHO should be in the center console where Mazda puts it. With this setup, I have to plug/unplug my ipod all the time, and look at a wonky wire on my dash.- Rear seatbelt buckles. I have two kids in booster seats, and when you put the tab into the buckle, the buckle pushes down into the seat. You have to use two hands to buckle it which is not easy with a kid in the seat.- Sunroof controls. Acceptable, but fiddly. I much prefer VW type dial control which lets you set what you want and it just does it. with this two-switch system, going from vent open to sunroof open takes more effort than it should (push-and-hold-until-the-auto-feature-kicks-in... wait.... push-and-hold...) - Visibility. Not good in the rear. clearly a case of form over function. IMHO, why bother with those useless little c-pillar windows. Make them useable or get rid of them.-Visors. Too small when used on the side. Other Toyotas have slide-out extentions etc that could improve function- Traction control defeat. This could be that I'm not using it properly, but it should be pretty intuative.... whenever i turn TC off, it comes back on after a few seconds. - Door locks. I live and work in Suburbia... don't need the driver-only unlock feature. I should be able to program all the doors to open on the first push, but so far I can't find anything on that.- Obnoxious seatbelt chime. I know it's obnoxious for a reason, and I usually wear the seatbelt, but when driving 3 blocks in my sub to drop the kid off I'll take my chances. I've had cars that allow you to turn off the chime (idiot lite still comes on). I haven't seen anything on how to turn it off on the 2009's yet.Likes:- Glovebox. Huge and deep with a place for the manual. well done.- drivers cubby. nice little place to store change, gum etc. good use of space.- rear cargo organizer. very nicely done. usefull when opened, out of the way when closed. love the extra storage in the back too.- roof mounted antenna. scraping windows here in Michigan is a pain when there is an antenna on the fender.Overall I'm happy with the car. I bought it because it's small, but big enough for me, gets good mileage, and should last a long time. It has been very easy to live with overall. So, feel free to weigh in on some of the things I mentioned, or add your own.
2009 Vibe GT
Vibe_dude

Post by Vibe_dude »

looks like alot more dislikes then likes....I dont really think that the new vibe will catch the eye of ppl ethe way the first gen did.(my opinion).But who knows.I personally like the first gen vibes much better.
LOVE THAT VIBE 2003 Satilite Silver auto.......188,000kms.2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer White 4.2 Inline 6 291hp auto.........156,000kms.
shemp

Re: (Vibe_dude)

Post by shemp »

Of course styling is subjective.... Although I don't think the old or new car is particularly good looking, overall I think the old model looks better than the new. I like the new car's features better (bigger engine, update content, GT package...) but I'm not a fan of the exterior styling. IMHO the lines are disorganized and odd, and the proportions are off. The old car's proportions were like a small, slightly SUV-ish wagon. The new cars proportions make it seem like an overinflated hatchback. I know very little about the older models, so I can't really compare them.There are more nit-picks in my list than positives, but I think the positives like relaibility, low cost, good milage, fun-ish to drive, etc go without saying.
2009 Vibe GT
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

well i've had my GT since monday and here's my take...dislikes:- rear visibility like you said...but i plan on getting rear parking sensors later on. i've gotten use to changing lanes and stuff so it's not as bad as when i first sat in it lol- i don't like the center armrest too. when parked outside that thing gets HOT lol but i'm tinting this weekend so that should help a bit. black car is like an oven inside =/- can't seem to accelerate smoothly. always jumps forward when i touch the gas.- when you have the sunroof all the way opened (after auto stopped you press to fully open it) there's a very nasty vibration sound that kind of hurts the ear when driving around maybe 15-25 mph or so...slightly open the window and it goes away.so far these are only few things that bug me. i'll update if there's more lolLikes:- very quiet ride especially on the hwy. barely any wind noise and road noise is acceptable. will be changing to different quieter tires when these go bad.- i like the sunroof especially they have those rubber things on the side to cover the rails and stuff. i think that rubber thing helps keep wind noise down when you have it on tilt.- seats are pretty comfortable. and love the high driving position.- i love how the GT looks...i chose black as it looks very aggressive =D rims look nice too...i've gotten a couple compliments on this car and people seem to like the rims.- car feels pretty stable. on the fwy i'm surprised how well the car stays put. i was worried the car will be blown around when big cars drive by since it's pretty light and small.so far this is about it. again, i'll update once i get more driving around
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
rAERRK

Re: (lowincash)

Post by rAERRK »

Quote, originally posted by lowincash »- when you have the sunroof all the way opened (after auto stopped you press to fully open it) there's a very nasty vibration sound that kind of hurts the ear when driving around maybe 15-25 mph or so...slightly open the window and it goes away.i dont think that has much to do with the car or sunroof. the same will happen if you have only one window open, am i wrong?
PopeyeFAFL

Re: New 2009 Vibe Owners Likes and Dislikes (shemp)

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

I didn't study that in detail, but one thing I dislike on the Vibe 2009 is the fact that the rear window cannot be open separately anymore.I found my Vibe 2005 handy for that, come back from the grocery store, just open the hatch, slip the bags in, without having to lift to whole tailgate.
lowincash

Re: (rAERRK)

Post by lowincash »

Quote, originally posted by rAERRK »i dont think that has much to do with the car or sunroof. the same will happen if you have only one window open, am i wrong? trust me the vibrating sound is very bad...when i open the sunroof on my maxima all the way the buffeting vibrating sound is nowhere as bad as on the vibe. i guess it's the shape i don't know but it's bad lol
shemp

Post by shemp »

Quote, originally posted by lowincash »- when you have the sunroof all the way opened (after auto stopped you press to fully open it) there's a very nasty vibration sound that kind of hurts the ear when driving around maybe 15-25 mph or so...slightly open the window and it goes away.I think the buffetting you are talking about happens with most cars with sunroofs when you open them all the way with the windows up. That's the reason for the auto-stop. You should be able to open it to the auto-stop with all the windows up and not get any buffetting. If you have a window open, you can open the roof all the way and be fine.
2009 Vibe GT
lowincash

Re: (shemp)

Post by lowincash »

Quote, originally posted by shemp »I think the buffetting you are talking about happens with most cars with sunroofs when you open them all the way with the windows up. That's the reason for the auto-stop. You should be able to open it to the auto-stop with all the windows up and not get any buffetting. If you have a window open, you can open the roof all the way and be fine. yah i know what you mean...it's fine when it stops at the auto stop position. i just like to open it all the way back sometimes =D but it's only driving around the city i'll get that annoying sound...on hwy it's fine. all my previous cars had a sunroof and only the vibe will i get that sound =/
shemp

Post by shemp »

Quote, originally posted by lowincash » - seats are pretty comfortable. I'll second that. I find the seats firm, comfortable and supportive. I like the leather triming, nice fabric, and the GT logo looks cool. Lumbar adjustment would be nice, but I understand this is a low-cost car.
2009 Vibe GT
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Welcome and congrats!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
trask

Post by trask »

I opened both my rear side windows once, ouch! the buffeting and wind vibration were something else. I am still liking this car way more than my 07 vibe.
2009 Vibe GT Sold
2012 Prius Four
2004 GMC HD2500
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

lol ok here's something interesting i found out last night...since i just got the car i haven't tinted it yet and driving at night was very blinding from all the cars behind me. i was thinking of getting an autodim mirror since both my previous cars had one. but you know the rear view mirror...on the bottom has a little tab thing. you twist it and the mirror sort of changes angles and when it does the glare from behind is gone! it just looks like how an autodim mirror would look like if there's bright lights from behind lol now i know what that little tab is for.
bull77

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by lowincash »..on the bottom has a little tab thing. you twist it and the mirror sort of changes angles and when it does the glare from behind is gone! it just looks like how an autodim mirror would look like if there's bright lights from behind lol now i know what that little tab is for.i thought that was standard on all non autodimming mirrors. the older vibes had this and every other car I've driven...
RIT

Re: (bull77)

Post by RIT »

Duh - that was probably on Model T mirrors !
rAERRK

Post by rAERRK »

Quote, originally posted by lowincash »trust me the vibrating sound is very bad...when i open the sunroof on my maxima all the way the buffeting vibrating sound is nowhere as bad as on the vibe. i guess it's the shape i don't know but it's bad lolive never noticed it in my 05. ill have to check it out.
DownTheShore

Post by DownTheShore »

Just got my '09 this past week, previously had an '05. It's got the Sun/Sound package and the Preferred package. I'm still learning the car, so just some things I've noticed so far:'09 is missing the coin holder that was on the driver's left side.Two-level compartment between the front seats seems awkward, though CD's do fit in it.Driver's side window doesn't rattle when it's lowered half-way.Rear-view mirrors now flip in toward the window - good for going through car washes.Sound system now plays MP-3 CD's in addition to regular CD's - good for audiobook listening.Even when the engine is off, pushing the clock button will turn on the time indicator for a few seconds.About a minute of residual power to the windows and sunroof after the car is turned off - in the '05, if I pulled up to gas station and turned off the engine before dropping my window (all full-service in NJ) I couldn't lower it without turning the car back on.Aux plug and AC outlet are now down near the floor. I have a feeling that when I plug in my two plug adapter, it's going to block a portion of the storage compartment that's below it.Tie down tracks that were in the '05 are missing from the '09.The tailgate window no longer opens in the '09, but I never used it in the '05, and the elimiation of the pneumatic lifts gives more visibility.Third side window is now basically useless for viewing.I like the radio controls on the steering wheel - very convenient.When I put the car into park, all the doors unlock - don't like that, and there are no instructions in the handbook about reprogramming that. I do still have my '05 instructions for changing that, so I will be giving that a try.One year of OnStar comes with the car. When I tried it out, it was odd to hear a stranger greet me by name. Having it on the car, though did give me a reduction in my car insurance - insurance company treats it like Lo-Jack.Rear lights seem bigger, so better visibility.Handling of the car is similar to the '05, so very little learning curve to getting accustomed to the "feel" and "positioning" of the car.2.4L is peppier than my previous 1.8L.'09 has that zig-zag 5 speed auto trans, which I find annoying to shift (no race car driver fantasies).The gear the car is in is now shown on the instrument panel in the '09 - by the odometer/outside temp gauge. That's an improvement.Double overhead lights in the control area where the sunroof switches are located. There's also a drop-down sunglass compartment there.Passenger and cargo overhead lights have their own on-off-door switches - the '05 didn't have that.Tailgate opens higher in the '09 than in the '05.Can see the brake mechanism through the hubcaps in the '09 - that was covered in the '05.When the sunroof is tilted open in the '09, there is a covering over the side mechanism, which wasn't present in the '05.Power window buttons on the driver's side are slightly more forward than they were in the '05.
Life is simply one damned thing after another
lowincash

Re: New 2009 Vibe Owners Likes and Dislikes (DownTheShore)

Post by lowincash »

regarding the door lock button location, coin holder, and power/auto door locks...mine don't unlock when i put to park...mine locks when i put to drive and unlocks when i turn off the car. not sure which one is better tho.actually there is a coin holder on the left side of the steering wheel near the traction control button thing. i think it's a coin holder but i don't put coins in there...makes too much rattling sound when driving loland as for the window button location, i find myself opening the back windows when i try to open the fronts w/o looking...it's a bit too forward or maybe my arms are too short lol
stunbmunb

Post by stunbmunb »

Hi Everyone.Bought an '09 Vibe GT (Liquid Platinum) at the end of July and I honestly love it! Most of my annoyances fall in line with the others listed and they're just annoyances.I have a couple of other griefs though:I don't like the auto headlights. When it's cloudy or foggy, it dims the dash backlighting during the day and makes them hard to read.The clutch engagement is a little murky when you're in traffic. It wants to explode from a launch in first. When first at the light, this isn't a big deal, otherwise it makes you look and feel like you can't drive a manual.The car could use geniune cupholders in the center console.The exposed metal on the inside of the doors when they're open looks cheap.Loves:I think this car is awesome fun to drive even normally! I can't believe 158 hp translates into enough performance to lose a drivers' license so quickly if you're not careful.It's an extremely attractive car in any trim, but the GT is just gorgeous. Looks fast standing still.Most of my driving is a commute so I get about 31-32 mpg out of it (only drive hard very, very rarely).Fantastic factory stereo.I like being seen in it, and I'm proud to own it.
Caretaker

Re: (stunbmunb)

Post by Caretaker »

Love:This car (1.8 liter auto "Corolla-Vibe") is FAR superior to our 03 vibe in nearly every way:Great fit and finishXM radioFront wipers2 level glove boxinterior fabricsafety featurescup holders on doorsmuch better looking on the outside (far superior than the Matrix once again)map lights on the rooftelescope steering wheelfolding side mirrorsMUCH more powerful and responsive Corolla engine (no need for the 2.4)Should have improved:adding leather wrapped steering wheelput ignition on the dash, not the steering wheelat least 1/2 inch smaller leg room for the driver. I notice it with my right leg on the gas pedal. no center armrest for rear passengersOn-Star: who cares! I'm still wondering if it will send a message that my car has been in an accident even after the one year trial period ends?no remote startno coin holderneed audio controls on steering wheel on base Vibeno carpet for hatch area (dumb) auxilary audio jack seems to require that you turn your MP3 to maximum just to hear the music from the playerpaper oil filter: come on, what's that about?All in all, a far superior car to the previous version; I just wish it was a few inches bigger, not smaller! Nonetheless, thanks for the significant improvement in build quality NUMMI. Your first effort was a bit sketchy, and the paint job was a joke. Looks like you got this one right.
Firescooby

Post by Firescooby »

My dislikes:DOOR LOCKS. I wish too that you could program them. I don't know how many times I've gotten out of the car with it running and had to go back and unlock all the doors.Cup holders (center): Not very well designed IMODoor trim: I drive with my arm resting on the door just below the window. The surface is very hard.MPG: I've got nearly 4k miles and not seen above 27mpg even with light throttle on ALL highway.LIKES:Styling: Love the looks of this carStereo: Pretty good for stockEverything else
2009 Vibe GT - Hot Red Metallic2006 Chevy 2500HD 4wd Duramax/ Allison2005 Toyota Sienna LE1998 Honda Civic DX - SOLD
emt

Post by emt »

As mentioned in how to overcome a long driving trip/fatigue, 1. The head restraint is pushing the head too far toward the front of the vibe causing the body to resemble a C shape. By reversing the head restraint 180 degrees this now seems to be a non-issue.2. The rear view mirror could have been glued higher for drivers over 6ft tall to have a better horizontal field of view thru the front windshield.
ou.grizzly

Re: New 2009 Vibe Owners Likes and Dislikes (Firescooby)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by Firescooby »My dislikes:MPG: I've got nearly 4k miles and not seen above 27mpg even with light throttle on ALL highway.What speed are you going?I am thinking you are pushing around 70-75 mph...
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
THE VIBERATOR

Re: New 2009 Vibe Owners Likes and Dislikes (ou.grizzly)

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

Your cruising speed will be a factor. Best mileage comes from right around 60mph on the highway and 40mph city. From personal experience, I tend to push it a bit. I usually cruise around 65, sometimes 70 If I may, a note about the new engines....while the 1.8 from the older models remained the same, the 2.4 comes right from the Scion TC and the I4 camry. The reason for the high acceleration even when trying to accelerate normal is because the engine is very torquey. In a TC, it is supposed to do 0-60 in 7.8 seconds. 1st and 2nd gears are very very torquey. If anyone feels that the car accelerates too much in relation to how they thought it should, then now you know why.
2003 Vibe Base - Sold2005 Corolla LE 5 speedcustom short ram air box6k HID kitIn memoriam of the Vibe, may you rest in peace:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3168634
shadow_dog

Post by shadow_dog »

I can compare my 09 GT to my ex 06 base.After 2 recent trips to Michigan from Ohio, my wife and I both prefer our 09GT. Some of our opinions---The glove box is better on the 09.Cup holders are better.Ride and seats are better.The gas mileage was almost even on road trips between the 2, I prefer the 09 for more acceleration.I like the console storage better on the 06, as well as the port for DC chargers. The port is in a bad location on the 09, IMO.Have no regrets at all on trading the 06 base for the 09 GT.One bad thing about the last trip to Michigan. I was stuck behind a gravel truck and got a "good" hood dent from a loose stone. Cost me $95 to get it fixed this afternoon.
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

here's another hate...I REALLY HATE THE CAR HORN!my god today a car was pulling into my lane almost hitting me and when i pressed my horn it was so embarassing...that meep meep sounded like a toy car lol...i gotta get that changed =/
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Well I will add my two cents of my likes and dislikes of my 2009 Vibe:I like the front end design.....don't like the view of the back to side from when view from the rear. I wish it had a wider hatch opening to fit a 48 inch plywood board.I have a problem with my hand hitting the windshield arm switch making it turn on. And I can not remember how to turn on the windshield wipers. I can not remember even how to turn on/off the headlights or other lights (foglights) because it does it automatically.Then I do not know what light is on!! Why is the light switches on the turn signal arm????The power window switch makes the window go down to fastWish the car had built in body side rubber moulding. I do not like the sharp edge on the backside of the steering wheel's horn's covers...I can pick it with my fingers.. feels cheap. What do I like?...... Having Onstar car phone, and Xm Radio. Almost everything else.I just have alot of small dislikes that is common with any car.
nuggyboy

Re: New 2009 Vibe Owners Likes and Dislikes (Ivibe)

Post by nuggyboy »

Guess I'll chime in too! Most of these dislikes are more just annoyances than anything else. I used to own a 2004 Toyota Solora so I've seen what's included in it that I'd like to be included in my Vibe.Dislikes:- Sunglass holder is way too small! It's long but not deep enough to hold any of my sunglasses.- There should be some kind of light around the ignition area. My solora has it and it's great at night.- Wish the car would make some kind of noise when it's locked with the remote.- At night, after you've turn off the engine and lock the doors. The headlight should be on for about 10-20 seconds. Again, it's a bad habit that I get from owning the Solora!- Center rear view mirror should have the automatic glare reducer thingie...sorry dont know what it's called. - Cheap looking plastic around the gear shifts.Likes:- THE LOOKS! The GT looks awesome in ANY colors! I chose the Vibe GT over the Matrix XRS because of the way they look!- Beautiful rims.- XM and On Star.- Both leather and cloth seats! Best of both world! - Power of a 2.4L engine. VVTI does make a difference in I4 technology! - Toyota Engine.- Very smooth ride.- Huge glove box compartment.- Awesome Stereo System.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

I love driving my 09, 1.8l, base. It's a smooth quiet ride, GREAT on gas. I miss the monsoon. The base stereo is crap.I wished the front passenger seat folded down.Same as the 06, rear visibility still sucks.The centre console is awkward to use. One cup will fit great the other sloshes around. I have to clean Startbucks off the parking brake.Half the time I'll put a second cup in the rear holders.There's no good spot to put change. It sort of just gets piled in there and you have to fish around for the right amt.Something about the steering wheel is funny. When I'm doing my 1 handed palm steering technique (releasing the car from a tight turn back to straight alignment) I often activate the horn. I always get a dirty look from someone walking or driving by.The rest of the time I've got both hands on the wheel!
"Draco" 09 Steel Blue Base Vibe 1.8, auto, moonroofR.I.P. "FROST" 06 Frosty White Base Vibe, auto, Moonroof and Monsoontotalled when a bus t-boned us.
Vibe2009

Post by Vibe2009 »

Just got my 09 Vibe today, here are my pros and cons so far:pros:Price! Incentives and 0% financing! Chrome wheels!2.4L is smooth and powerful!Really quiet, in terms of engine noiseHeadroom!Is a hatchback that doesnt look like a stationwagon!Tons of features! (VSA, Traction controls, manual shift, etc)Is base on a Toyota!Great GM services!Awesome warranties!Really fun to drive!Better radio unit than Matrix Cons:Cheap plastic for interiorAutomatic headlight, really hate that~ No standard cargo cover~Torsion Beam rear suspensionCup holders~Average gas mileageRear viewing suck17in wheel with low profile tire can be bumpyHard to locate a car with feature you like~ Had to drive 170km to get this car~ Is worth it....
Red Hot Metallic 2.4L, 5sp Auto, 17" Chrome Clad wheels, XM
brbo

Re: New 2009 Vibe Owners Likes and Dislikes (Firescooby)

Post by brbo »

HTH for the power locks - looks as though a scan tool is the proper way to handle different settings ask the dealer next time you are there,, or try the 'Manual' at the bottom of the document - I believe each time attempted it goes to the next option...brbo

Attached files 2009VIBEPowerDoorLocksDescriptionandOperation-ServiceInformation.doc (55.5 KB) 
slikt17

Post by slikt17 »

I bought a 09 Gt (5 speed) about a month agoPros: -Looks good -Decent accel -Good price -Nice interior -Decent system Cons:-The horn is sad it pisses me off more then it would another driver -Way to Quiet i would perfer a more sportier exhaust note -Needs better quality floor mats i already started making a hole in the floor mat by my clutch -And sometimes the car doesn't really want to go into reverse it almost gets stuck when i try to put it in gear.I was wondering if anyone knows about a exhaust set up hopefully cat-back or something to that affect just need something to make it purr a lil then i'm good. Hopefully gm will make some parts(GMPP ) that will allow me to keep my warrenty
PROJECT
brbo

Re: (slikt17)

Post by brbo »

Slik, GMPP doesn't cover exhaust regardless of who makes it!!
slikt17

Re: (brbo)

Post by slikt17 »

Well i no that they got a cat back for the cobalts I was just thinking they would do the same for other cars I think that would be cool exhaust and a intake all with out voiding my warrenty Dont think i am asking for to much here just a little GM
PROJECT
DownTheShore

Re: (Nelson)

Post by DownTheShore »

Quote, originally posted by Nelson »There's no good spot to put change. It sort of just gets piled in there and you have to fish around for the right amt.I went to an auto store and bought one of those small, spring-loaded, rectangular coin holders, the kind that holds nickels-quarters-dimes in pop-up columns. I stuck it on the dash behind the windshield washer control stick, below the instrument gage section. It's out of the way, I can reach it without hitting the stick, and solves the problem for me.
Life is simply one damned thing after another
shemp

Post by shemp »

The traction control/stability control can only be defeated below 35mph. You can disable it, but once you hit 35 it automatically re-enables. That really chaps my kiester. I like the safety feature, but the driver should be able to defeat it if they want to for some wet/snowy parking lot fun. .... I guess one mom isn't enough.
2009 Vibe GT
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by shemp »The traction control/stability control can only be defeated below 35mph. You can disable it, but once you hit 35 it automatically re-enables. That really chaps my kiester. I like the safety feature, but the driver should be able to defeat it if they want to for some wet/snowy parking lot fun. .... I guess one mom isn't enough. Here in Michigan and in the Shelby Township/Utica area that would be regarded as "reckless driving" and results in a ticket, points, and a fine. It is different if you were talking about a closed track designated for such events, then yet it could pose an issue. Seems to me it was engineered that way to keep items from breaking or premature failure from misuse or abuse.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
shemp

Re: New 2009 Vibe Owners Likes and Dislikes (ou.grizzly)

Post by shemp »

It's a free country, bro. If I want to slide around an empty parking lot, I can take my chances of getting a ticket. If you follow your logic: why don't they govern the engine to cut out at 70mph? Anything more would be speeding which would result in tickets and fines, and could result in premature wear of some components, wouldn't it?...... I've owned many cars with traction control/stability control and this is the first one that can't be defeated. I'm not aware of any other car that is even remotely fun to drive that doesn't allow the driver to disable TC/SC. It's my car, I paid for it, and I should be able to drive it however I want to. Like I said, I like that the feature is on the car, and I like that it's default condition is ON when the car is started, but I do not appreciate not being able to disable it.
2009 Vibe GT
mikey123

Post by mikey123 »

This is my first post to the forum - just picked up my new AWD this morning. Can't remember the colour name, but it has the 1SF package and upgraded stereo (monsoon?) with sub-woofer.My likes:1) THE STEREO!!! Hooked up the iPod to it and it sounds awesome. Love watching the rear view mirror vibrate to the bass.2) Smooth, powerful 2.4 L engine.3) Very quiet and smooth ride.4) Rear cargo area has lots of space.5) Brakes work really well.6) Love the look - particularly from the back.7) So much car for so little price - I don't think there is any other AWD with so many features in that price range (could be wrong). I got the car for $2500 below retail, and 0% financing. It had 8000 kms on it.8) Great Dealer - the sales guy called me in the evening and asked me to bring it back to put in gas - he forgot in the morning. Worked out since I had done a day of driving, and got even more gas.Dislikes:1) Cheap plastic on interior components.2) No heated seats! (cry baby, I know).3) Can't really think of any others.This is my first Vibe - comparing it to a 2000 Subaru outback (that I would like to sell) and a 2002 Mazda Protege (an excellent car, but rough ride).
safooma

Post by safooma »

Likes:--Gas mileage averaging 33 so far over 6 tanks--Seats are comfy--Lots of room for kids and dog--Creature comforts--Safety features--Purdy--Drives smooth and quiet--Got a great deal--American made toyota, with pontiac personalityDislikes:--Clutch engages/disengages inconsistently--Shifter is a bit ambiguous/clunky--Some wicked blind spots--Stock stereo not very good--All the silver interior trim is pretty cheesy--Paint is thin(so has the paint on my last 3 news cars too)
Silver 2009 Base 1.8 5spdMPG info for my vibe: http://www.cleanmpg.com/index....=2758
GenuineVibe

Post by GenuineVibe »

Quote »Something about the steering wheel is funny. When I'm doing my 1 handed palm steering technique (releasing the car from a tight turn back to straight alignment) I often activate the horn. I always get a dirty look from someone walking or driving by.The rest of the time I've got both hands on the wheel!The reason your honking the horn is because in the base model the horn is also located where the steering wheel audio controls are on the GT. I found that out by accident. Seems weird to me but you can easily honk the horn without haveing the hit the center of the steering wheel, which is kinda nice, you can steer and honk at the same time. Dislikes for MeThe cup holders suck, but its a good place for my purse.The aux jack is in a stupid spot, it should be lower down.No Intermitent Window Wipers (its a base)Headlights dont stay on when you turn off your car.No honk when you lock your carThe horn is just plain wimpy lolThe arm rest should be abit biggerBig Blind SpotsCarpet in the hatch would be niceOther then that, no complaints.Whoever was talking about the dash getting dim when the headlights turn on during the day... you know you can re-adjust the dash lights to full strength with the nob thing next to the Spedometer.
Silversn95

Post by Silversn95 »

One dislike I have is the relatively small amount of foot space between the clutch pedal and the dead pedal. Maybe I have big feet but the pedals seem a little crowded compared to my other manual transmission cars. Something to get used to I guess.
2009 Pontiac Vibe - 1.8L 5-speed 1SB Carbon Gray Metallic with 20% tint
shemp

Post by shemp »

After spending more time in my vibe, I have a few more nit-picks:- The un-defeatable traction control is obnoxious on any "fun-ish" car, but unforgivable on a "GT" model. The traction/skid control works great when engaged, but had I known you can't turn it off, I might not have bought the car.- I don't like the 3-spoke steering wheel. I sometimes drive with my hand at 6:00, but there's a big spoke there. If I put my hand at 7:00 or 5:00 the car pulls right or left under the weight of my massive pythons I never realized until now that I prefer a 4-spoke wheel (in a daily driver anyway)- You can't turn off the traction control (did I say that one already?)
2009 Vibe GT
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

i'm starting to really hate the sunvisors. it's so small =/
GenuineVibe

Post by GenuineVibe »

The traction control is there to help keep you alive... get over it.
shemp

Re: (GenuineVibe)

Post by shemp »

I've managed so far on my own, thanks.I find it unbelievable that a) people don't understand the difference between having TC and being able to disable it when you want to, and b) that people accept a car that you paid for imposing it's will on you.It's Orwellian.
2009 Vibe GT
Silversn95

Post by Silversn95 »

That isn't even the worst of it. Your insurance company and/or the police can take data from your car and use it against you. For example, you want to go have some fun with your Vibe and disable the traction control. If you were to get into an accident, either multi or single vehicle, the data stored in your car can show throttle positions, wheel speed, vehicle speed, whether or not your traction control was active...etc. This can all be used against you if charges are laid. This isn't just a Vibe thing. Most, if not all new cars retain this data.
2009 Pontiac Vibe - 1.8L 5-speed 1SB Carbon Gray Metallic with 20% tint
shemp

Re: (Silversn95)

Post by shemp »

I don't really have an issue with that so much, in the case of an accident. If you are acting irresponsibly and hurt someone or damage someone's property, it's your fault, and you have to account for your actions. On the other hand it could vindicate you if you were not acting irresponsibly and it was a legitimate accident.
2009 Vibe GT
SinisterMind

Post by SinisterMind »

Anybody who paid attention to Toyota cars, you'd know that Toyota's ESC cannot be completely turned off. It's always been this way for years. That's why you're Vibe's ESC can't be defeated. Vibe = Matrix. So please stop whining about it.My wife has the AWD Matrix and the only complaint is the terrible fuel economy. My wife does very short trips and with cold weather the recent calculation yielded 16mpg in all city driving. The engine has less than 1000 miles though. Hopefully it improves, but I'm not worried.
shemp

Re: (SinisterMind)

Post by shemp »

Quote, originally posted by SinisterMind »Anybody who paid attention to Toyota cars, you'd know that Toyota's ESC cannot be completely turned off. It's always been this way for years. That's why you're Vibe's ESC can't be defeated. Vibe = Matrix. So please stop whining about it.I haven't paid that much attention to Toyota's over the years, so I was not aware of that... although I suspected it was a Toyota thing.
2009 Vibe GT