5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
musicmanmu

5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for?

Post by musicmanmu »

Hey guys,Finally got my 09 Vibe GT yesterday (Navy blue...goregous...will post pics as soon as I can!).I had a question about the 'tap shift' function.Basically - what's it for? Is it just for the fun of driving a stick without having a manual tranny? Does it save gas when driving in town or something? My girlfriend told me I should leave it alone and just leave it in drive because I might "screw up the transmission." LOL.Just looking for some info. from you well-informed members!Thanks!
2009 Vibe GT - Navy Blue Metallic

Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

It's to put some "fun" in driving an automatic.. It will hold gears longer than in auto mode(might hold the gear till redline, not sure) you won't hurt anything, unless you get all crazy with it... and even then, it's prolly got safegards against doing dumb things..
musicmanmu

Post by musicmanmu »

Okay...so maybe this is a dumb question (I can't drive a standard for crap)...how do you know when to shift? Is it when you hit a certain RPM? Or do you just "feel" it? I'd like to experiement to see if using the tap shift improves my gas mileage.I'm still on my dealer tank, so I won't know my first MPG rating until a few days.

kowell

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by kowell »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »you won't hurt anything, unless you get all crazy with it... and even then, it's prolly got safegards against doing dumb things.. It shifts on it's own. I tryed it on the highway and when I reached 100-105km/h it shifted from 4th to 5th on it's own.
2009 Vibe 2.4L 1SC - Red Hot Metallic
2011 Sienna V6 CE - Sky Silver
trask

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (musicmanmu)

Post by trask »

I like using it sometimes coming down hills, I can use the engine to control my speed some what, like when entering curves instead of braking all the time. I put it in 3rd or 4th when in traffic depending on the speed of traffic, it keeps me from constantly hitting the brake.
2009 Vibe GT Sold
2012 Prius Four
2004 GMC HD2500
musicmanmu

Post by musicmanmu »

Cool...thanks everyone! The manual says to leave it in Drive for the best fuel economy, so I can through the fuel efficiency theory out the window.

nygiantzz1

Re: (musicmanmu)

Post by nygiantzz1 »

Quote, originally posted by musicmanmu »Okay...so maybe this is a dumb question (I can't drive a standard for crap)...how do you know when to shift? Is it when you hit a certain RPM? Or do you just "feel" it? It's a little of both, personally, I let the rpms hit about 4,000 before I shift. After you play around with it for a while, you will begin to "feel" it and shift without looking at the rpms. You can't hurt the tranny, go try it out and have some fun.
musicmanmu

Post by musicmanmu »

Thanks...I definitely will! Makes it hard to concentrate at work when I've got that kick-a$$ car sitting outside begging to be driven!

lowincash

Re: (musicmanmu)

Post by lowincash »

lol i picked up my black GT yesterday too and i'm going to have a hard time concentrating at work as well =/ i took a day off work yesterday so i can get the car hahabut yah i'm trying to figure out how to use the tap shift thing too. the sales guy didn't really know how to use it.
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by musicmanmu »Hey guys, My girlfriend told me I should leave it alone and just leave it in drive because I might "screw up the transmission." LOL.That sounds just like something a girlfriend would say.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
musicmanmu

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (K-NINE)

Post by musicmanmu »

Yessir, straight out of the girlfriend textbook, lol.Oh well - I'll mess with it when I have time. 90% of my driving is on the Interstate, so I don't think I'd use it then anyway.

shemp

Post by shemp »

IMHO it's nothing more than a gimmick. VW has a true tap-shift manual system (DSG), but this car still uses a torque converter...aka slush-box.As far as real-world uses for it, decending steep grades, and getting ready to make a tight pass are the only uses I can see.
2009 Vibe GT
rAERRK

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (K-NINE)

Post by rAERRK »

Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »That sounds just like something a girlfriend would say. i taught mine how to drive MT, as well as general understanding of cars. helped cut down on the silly comments/questions
wildangel5

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (rAERRK)

Post by wildangel5 »

I love the shifter - first because I always wanted a manual but couldn't do the clutch. And second I think it will be great in the winter as I always downshifted my Sunfire to stop and start.If makes driving a lot of fun - except when I accidentally bump it down
RIT

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (wildangel5)

Post by RIT »

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that using the tap-shift can ONLY DECREASE your gas mileage and not improve it. It will not up-shift any faster than the normal drive position, and it can hold in a gear longer, which will decrease fuel mileage. However, I'm sure the fun-factor would out-weigh the increase in fuel cost.
Kamikaze

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (RIT)

Post by Kamikaze »

When I've driven cars with it.. my main reason was when I went into a corner I could hold it in the gear I wanted.. 2nd or 3rd w/o it shifting out of the gear if I want to hard corner... nothing pisses me off more than when I'm in a corner and want the RPM's up and it shifts on me...
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

I do not think you will increase your mileage with it but you could try. I had this in my PT Cruiser GT Turbo and for the hell of it I would start in 2nd to see what it would do and then of course shift it like a stick.You will not hurt the trans by using it at all like GF said.My PT's manual said in that mode if the trans gets too hot it will eventually shift on its own. And if you do not shift it the RPM's will get so high it also will shift on its own, likewise if it is in the top gear and you come to a stop it will go down to first on its own and not let you start in 4th or 5th.I did not want this feature but it came with the car, actually thought it was dumb and rarely used it in the three years I had the car. Downshifting in the snow or for a hill was nice but then again you can do that with any auto trans and I already do.Play around with it and read your Owners Manual about it. You should read the O. Manual in general!
Sublimewind

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (Kamikaze)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Kamikaze »When I've driven cars with it.. my main reason was when I went into a corner I could hold it in the gear I wanted.. 2nd or 3rd w/o it shifting out of the gear if I want to hard corner... nothing pisses me off more than when I'm in a corner and want the RPM's up and it shifts on me...Yep, it's mainly used to help emulate a manual.. As most know, you can easily redline+ in a manual... this allows you to stay up in the revs (small the motor, higher the revs needs to be to get power from it) I "shift" my Vibe all the time in the winter, with the regular auto... I just used OD on/off and low 1-2 for more shifting.. mostly to slow, without using the brakes.. But yeah, flying into a corner and having a shift happen right in the middle of it is just asking to go hiking... not good... so being able to hold that gear, enhances performance... Musicmanmu, the system should keep you off the RPM redline, that is really what you need to worry about... but, with testing, you should be able to find the "ideal" shift point as most cars tend to lose some power right at redline... many times, you get the most power, just before it...
maniac4gm3

Post by maniac4gm3 »

This is in response to your photo. The G8 and Torrent were the only two vehicles Pontiac had that doesn't have a Toyota counterpart. As far as I am concerned, the Vibe began Pontiac's downfall in 2002. But, they all have a Chevrolet counterpart. The list goes as follows. G3 = Aveo = YarisG5 = Cobalt = CorollaG6 = Malibu = CamryG8 = Impala and somewhat resembles the AvalonTorrent = EquinoxSolstice = MR2 (The Camaro competed with those two.)Vibe = Matrix (somewhat similar to Equinox)While looking at Nissan, honda, and toyota, I noticed that they seem to look the same to me. It is kind of strange how if you look hard enough, you will notice that GM has had ties with these brands at some point in time. I know for sure that I will never buy a new car again, until some company can prove to me that are American. GM was very American until 2002. That was when they started making connections with Toyota and Honda. Do your research and you will notice how similar the body lines and powertrains are on some of these cars. I think they are all egg shaped with bug eyed headlights. A car must be more than 80% American for me to buy it. I guess We will all see what is left of those cars after GM finishes the bankruptcy procedure. Read your original door sticker to see where your car qualifies. I doubt it is more than 50% American.
ColonelPanic

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (maniac4gm3)

Post by ColonelPanic »

And what does this have to do with the topic of the transmission? If you're wanting an "American" car you'll be waiting a while. It's a global economy now, they'll source parts wherever it's beneficial for the bottom line. As far as content goes, there are some imports that have a higher percentage of US parts content than some of the "domestics." I don't recall the exact percentages on the Vibe but it was a lot more than 50% US content. The biggest thing that isn't American is the transmission, they were sourced from Japan. So the Vibe was the downfall of Pontiac? I take it you must not like the car.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
maniac4gm3

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (ColonelPanic)

Post by maniac4gm3 »

So the 1.6L, 1.8L, and 1.9L engines were made in this country? I know about the imported cars with domestic badges. That was Chrysler that mostly did that. Ford followed later on. You are right, I do not like the Vibe. I used to be a porter and I didn't like how the rear window leaked on the ones with the rear window that opened. I don't like the way they look either. Especially the ones with the flat gray plastic cladding. It's really bad when that stuff scuffs. Also removing tar and bugs is no fun either. I think the Vibe started the downfall. What I think finished them off was killing the Grand Am and Grand Prix. They were both hot sellers. The owners of those cars loved them. Another thing was taking a car from Australia that was meant to be a V6 sedan and turning into a V8 Coupe. Then naming that car a GTO without doing any suspension mods or putting good tires on it, and trying to sell it for $32,000. I think all of the traditional Pontiac enthusiasts left after that one. I just don't like the way GM treated Pontiac from 2003 on. Their cars when from being sleek looking to Japanese looking. The Tapshift is just a gimmick. The computer can override anything that you do. Now my 1989 Chevy K1500 doesn't have Tapshift, but you can select what gear you want it to drive with. I love automatics with manual valve bodies. What you said about the global economy, I think that will never change. I hope I am wrong, but it seems like everyone is out sourcing with no turn around in sight. I guess we will all see what GM does in the next month or so.
KrazyB

Post by KrazyB »

The Mitsubishi have the tap shift also, it is kinda cool to mess with the honda prelude also used to have them.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

If you don't own the Vibe and you hate the Vibe what brings you here? And why post in an entirely unrelated thread? Please stop hijacking the threads.

Image Image
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by maniac4gm3 »G3 = Aveo = YarisG5 = Cobalt = CorollaG6 = Malibu = CamryG8 = Impala and somewhat resembles the AvalonTorrent = EquinoxSolstice = MR2 (The Camaro competed with those two.)Vibe = Matrix (somewhat similar to Equinox)Are you completely nuts? This is a forum for Pontiac Vibe enthusiasts not for random people who want to bash the Vibe.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

i don't get the point of your pointless post maniac4gm3 your first post has absolutely nothing to do with what this thread's about and you're just looking for something to bash on? well i for one am glad pontiac has joint ventures with toyota. that's my main reason getting the vibe, knowing it has the reliability of a japanese car and a less dull interior that i've seen from other "american" cars.btw i have yet to play with the tap shift thing yet lol
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
808 Vibes

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (lowincash)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Chevy Luv = Isuzu KB/P'upproduction run? 1972-1982
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
vibolista

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by vibolista »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »Chevy Luv = Isuzu KB/P'upproduction run? 1972-1982Now I'm confused. Did the Chevy Luv and = Isuzu K/P'up have the "tap shift" feature?maniac4gm3 is a maniac. Leaking rear windows? Clean the damn rubber gasket and glass contact area! Did a leaking Vibe rear window really start the collapse of the giant GM corporation? For sure, dude. And it had nothing to do with air headed management, unimaginative products from the 60s through the 90s, (with only a few brilliant exceptions) along with management/ production worker relations that resembled the dark ages in Europe (Nobles vs Serfs) just to mention a few. I've left out most of the list, for brevity. Our little roving maniac thought there were GM production counterparts to Toyota? How about the redundant counterpart GM selections throught the repetitive model lines from Chevy, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick and Cadillac? Clones with different wrinkles. Never mind Chevy trucks and GMC trucks. Badge engineering, anyone? But then again, most car manufacturers all over the world do the same thing...So the devolution of GM was precipitated by a leaking Vibe rear window. Very Rich! And watch out for those corporate destroying rear window leaks. You could be next!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
808 Vibes

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (vibolista)

Post by 808 Vibes »

No, just some facts to correct the fiction. Mine coming up 3 years and doesn't leak. Let's hear testimonials from the 2003 owners now...
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
lovemyraffe

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (vibolista)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by vibolista »Did a leaking Vibe rear window really start the collapse of the giant GM corporation? Yes, the rear window on the Vibe is to blame for the downfall of GM just like Buddha is to blame for the downfall of Christianity. This idiot might just bring out an angry mob.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
vibolista

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (lovemyraffe)

Post by vibolista »

I just went outside and found a long broken branch and wrapped some burlap cloth around it, so I'm ready to join the mob, as soon as I find my pitchfork.Earlier this afternoon we had a torrential downpour that lasted over an hour. Before I left for some 4th of July festivites, I checked to see if the rear window had leaked. Dry back there.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

My rear window leaked when it was new... I brought it into the dealer and they FIXED IT. Funny how he never stated what TRULY began the downfall of Pontiac - hey buddy, the Aztek came before the Vibe.

Image Image
Houston

Post by Houston »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »Let's hear testimonials from the 2003 owners now...Never had a problem with the rear window leaking on my 2003 Vibe.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
star_deceiver

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (ColonelPanic)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »hey buddy, the Aztek came before the Vibe. Let us not forget the X-bodies and the "Iron Duke"!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
ColonelPanic

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (star_deceiver)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Yeah, the X bodies were another great example of why the Vibe was the downfall of GM. Those cars were perfect -- record setting even. (for number of recalls on a first year of production, hah!) Dang leaky windows on the Vibes, that's some serious engineering defects.

Image Image
Underdog

Post by Underdog »

I use mine all the time but then, I just sold my C5 6 speed Corvette so I keep the throttle mashed on the Vibe! I drive the Ortega Highway in southern Orange/Riverside county in So Cal every day. It's a great twisty road through the mountains. I use the Tap Shift to keep it in the power band because the 2.4 has absolutely NO low end torque. I also use it on the freeways. I'll keep it in 5th most of the time but I'll slap it down to 4th and 3rd a lot of time when trying to merge or change lanes. LA traffic can be brutal and you need the be able to accelerate quickly to change lanes. If you leave it in drive and mash the gas it will actually slow down a second before it accelerates. This can actually be very dangerous on the freeways. You're not going to get better gas mileage with it though.
ned23

Post by ned23 »

I've been using the tap-shifter while towing a trailer. I also use it occasionally on "country roads" to that are winding with lots of slopes. Downshifting can reduce the amount of braking.
BahamaTodd

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (Underdog)

Post by BahamaTodd »

For the tap shift topic, I'd say one instance where it could save some fuel is when wanting to accelerate but not wanting to downshift. Otherwise, it is there to provide better control (holding a gear, engine braking), while you will run the risk of achieving worse fuel economy. You'll probably never match the efficiency of the manual because of the torque converter (the part that makes an auto trans "slushy") Even with being able to control the shifts, this tap shift thing is nothing like the real thing. Give me that 3rd pedal any day of the week. To have that better connection with the vehicle makes driving a much more enjoyable experience. We got this Vibe for my 16yo little sister and one of the stipulations was that its going to be a manual. She's only had it 2 days and she's out driving. (Proud big brother ) Sorry, but I had to comment:Quote, originally posted by maniac4gm3 »This is in response to your photo. The G8 and Torrent were the only two vehicles Pontiac had that doesn't have a Toyota counterpart. As far as I am concerned, the Vibe began Pontiac's downfall in 2002. But, they all have a Chevrolet counterpart. The list goes as follows. G3 = Aveo = YarisG5 = Cobalt = CorollaG6 = Malibu = CamryG8 = Impala and somewhat resembles the AvalonTorrent = EquinoxSolstice = MR2 (The Camaro competed with those two.)Vibe = Matrix (somewhat similar to Equinox)While looking at Nissan, honda, and toyota, I noticed that they seem to look the same to me. It is kind of strange how if you look hard enough, you will notice that GM has had ties with these brands at some point in time. I know for sure that I will never buy a new car again, until some company can prove to me that are American. GM was very American until 2002. That was when they started making connections with Toyota and Honda. Do your research and you will notice how similar the body lines and powertrains are on some of these cars. I think they are all egg shaped with bug eyed headlights. A car must be more than 80% American for me to buy it. I guess We will all see what is left of those cars after GM finishes the bankruptcy procedure. Read your original door sticker to see where your car qualifies. I doubt it is more than 50% American.I assume your list was to point out to the OP vehicles available from Chevy. Ok....GM has had ties with foreign competitors for decades. As mentioned with Isuzu and the Luv. There was also a a tie with Toyota and the Cavalier. Several vehicles with Suzuki. Many partnerships with powertrain development (most recently with hybrid technology). etcQuote, originally posted by maniac4gm3 »So the 1.6L, 1.8L, and 1.9L engines were made in this country? I know about the imported cars with domestic badges. That was Chrysler that mostly did that. Ford followed later on. You are right, I do not like the Vibe. I used to be a porter and I didn't like how the rear window leaked on the ones with the rear window that opened. I don't like the way they look either. Especially the ones with the flat gray plastic cladding. It's really bad when that stuff scuffs. Also removing tar and bugs is no fun either. I think the Vibe started the downfall. What I think finished them off was killing the Grand Am and Grand Prix. They were both hot sellers. The owners of those cars loved them. Another thing was taking a car from Australia that was meant to be a V6 sedan and turning into a V8 Coupe. Then naming that car a GTO without doing any suspension mods or putting good tires on it, and trying to sell it for $32,000. I think all of the traditional Pontiac enthusiasts left after that one. I just don't like the way GM treated Pontiac from 2003 on. Their cars when from being sleek looking to Japanese looking. The Tapshift is just a gimmick. The computer can override anything that you do. Now my 1989 Chevy K1500 doesn't have Tapshift, but you can select what gear you want it to drive with. I love automatics with manual valve bodies. What you said about the global economy, I think that will never change. I hope I am wrong, but it seems like everyone is out sourcing with no turn around in sight. I guess we will all see what GM does in the next month or so.The GTO was a purpose made coupe built in Australia and known as the Holden Commodore. It sold in predicted numbers in the US and was therefore a success. Pontiac lost its direction from the 80/90s when all they had was boring FWD sedans like the Grand AM/Prix with shoddy quality. You may call the direction of styling Japanese looking, but that's what people want. Crash safety and aerodynamic requirements also force many vehicles to have similar looks. Look at the Volt, Prius, and Insight for example. Luckily with shedding these extra brands, GM can now focus their resources to build better cars with higher quality and more style. Cars like the Camaro, Malibu, Equinox, LaCrosse, CTS, SRX, etc show that GM still has what it takes. Things should really be looking up for them.You're right - it is a global economy. If you want to survive in the industry you have to realize this and take full advantage.BTW, if you want the most American car, buy a Camry. http://www.cars.com/go/advice/...e0709
2009 Vibe GT M5 Jet Black
star_deceiver

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (BahamaTodd)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by BahamaTodd »Even with being able to control the shifts, this tap shift thing is nothing like the real thing. Give me that 3rd pedal any day of the week. To have that better connection with the vehicle makes driving a much more enjoyable experience. THANK YOU!!!!! If you want performance and control, unless you have a Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK), lose the slushbox!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
L5K

Post by L5K »

I don't understand why anyone would bash the American and Japanese companies having ties together. While Ford, GM, and Chrysler have been busy shipping labor outside the US, the Japanese have been rushing to fill their shoes and offer jobs building their vehicles here.I had a Dodge Daytona Shelby Z for a while, and it was made in what is now a Mitsubishi factory in Missouri and is also where the Dodge Avengers were built. My Vibe was built in a Toyota plant in California. The Toyota trucks are built in Indiana and Texas. So, when I want an American made vehicle, where should I look?As far as transmissions go, I LOVE my sticks. For normal driving I keep my RPM between 2k and 3k. Makes the ride nice and smooth. It's painful to me driving an automatic when you stomp on it and the RPM goes up and the car lurches forward.... then you feel the car losing torque while the RPM still goes up before it finally shifts.
03 GT, Abyss with tupperwareTo Do List: (will take a long time)Front/Rear swaybarsStrut tower barTint windowsReplace rear bumper cover (previous owner rear-ended)Replace upper front bumper cover (cracked)Replace VVTL-i engine cover (previous owner was Hercules)
ned23

Re: 5 Speed "tap shift" - Do you use it? What's it for? (star_deceiver)

Post by ned23 »

Quote »Even with being able to control the shifts, this tap shift thing is nothing like the real thing. Give me that 3rd pedal any day of the week. To have that better connection with the vehicle makes driving a much more enjoyable experience. [QUOTE] THANK YOU!!!!! If you want performance and control, unless you have a Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK), lose the slushbox! [/QUOTE]The Tap-shift isn't supposed to be "better than a manual." It's supposed to be better than an automatic without tap-shift.