My not-so-new Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
nixternal

My not-so-new Vibe

Post by nixternal »

Love the GenVibe feel by the way. Anyways I just picked up a 2005 Vibe GT for a darn good price. It is Salsa color with all of the "stock" GT options. I haven't taken any pictures yet but as soon as I do I will post them here. It is a great driving car, love the room as it holds my bikes perfectly. Right now I am looking for after market accessories, especially Euro/LED tail lights, but that doesn't look possible, which is really annoying. I wanted to personalize my Vibe a little with some nicer lights than the stock tail lights, which I absolutely hate. If you all have any suggestions for upgrades (ie. head lights (bulbs), tail lights (ya right), fog lights, and more) let me know. I am glad there are a bunch of us out there and glad these forums are here!
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

welcome! how do you like the "lift" at 6200 rpm's ? The best option for tail lights is bluebat's red outs. I had them on my vibe and loved them.Here:http://s2.photobucket.com/albu...e2005/For head lights, get HID's. I got them on my new ms3 and I would NEVER go back to bulbs
nixternal

Re: (northvibe)

Post by nixternal »

Ya, I am thinking the redouts will be the best bet and they are inexpensive. I will stop by the shop tomorrow and see if I can get a set of HID bulbs as everyone told me to get those. I am loving the "lift" Very responsive I must say.
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

hey welcome to the family from another chicagoan!HIDs is going to be more than just bulbs. its a kit, also needs the balasts and stuff like that.there's a few of us vibe guys careening around here in and around chicago. are you on the north side? south side? post pics when you can.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
sk8r78

Post by sk8r78 »

Welcome For the fogs you can get Yellow overlays fromimportequipment,com as far as the taillights go how about color matching the black parts in addition to the redouts for the signals. The aftermarket is pretty weak for the Vibe, which is too bad.
nixternal

Re: (ramenboy...)

Post by nixternal »

NW Burbs, work in West Loop Gate (Fulton & Desplaines).
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Welcome to the family!
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

welcome to the fam. i was about to trade my vibe in for a salsa GT 6sp last year but i have to keep the auto bcuz of my wife. I was soo tempted to.
jmpnjoe86

Re: My not-so-new Vibe (nixternal)

Post by jmpnjoe86 »

Welcome! Don't forget to post pics…
jmpnjoe86
'05 Vibe AWD "Silver Bullet III"
Platinum 2-tone/Graphite, Power Package, 16" alloys
Blueridge9

Re: My not-so-new Vibe (jmpnjoe86)

Post by Blueridge9 »

Welcome, Salsa is a great color and you can see others in the GenVibe Garage forum for mod ideas. How many miles are on your Vibe?I'd suggest new seat covers or a spoiler...see my link below for a photo.
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Welcome to the fam! Hey, I have some seat covers too http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=31443Other ideas:• Black out tails entirely or blackout with custom design • Grafxwerks overlays• New hood • Tint• Wheels• Lowering• Body kit• Performance upgrades...etc, etc
nixternal

Post by nixternal »

OK, here are some answers and then the pics:It has 60k on it. The thing is darn near mint condition. Whoever owned it before me obviously read these forums as he/she did the fog light mod always on mod. They kept the car super clean as well.I am looking at doing the following now: * Seat covers (those Vibe ones are hot!) * Red outs * Intake * Maybe some rims in the futureAs for lowering, that really isn't my cup of tea since I have bikes in tow a majority of the time, and I feel more comfortable with them higher off the ground...then again, there are always air bags Now for the pics!!For the rest of the pics, check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/n...5248/.
nixternal

Re: My not-so-new Vibe

Post by nixternal »

Well, made it almost 10 years. Yesterday a car pulled out in front of me and I t-boned the vehicle at 40/45mph. Messed up my hand from the airbag explosion. I'm kind of sad actually. I loved this car. Carried my yaks, fishing equipment, bicycles, and had great gas mileage & enough get-up-and-go to make me happy. Plus the Monsoon system wasn't to shabby. It just had some sun fade, rock chips, & clear coat pealing that was about to get fixed in the next 2 weeks. Brand new clutch, I already miss it & it has only been 24 hours. I'm just glad nobody was really hurt. FYI, t-boning older Subaru Forester's is not a joke! RIP my poor little Vibe GT :(
IMG_20180814_124442.jpg
IMG_20180814_124442.jpg (431.2 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
IMG_20180814_124435.jpg
IMG_20180814_124435.jpg (395.73 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
IMG_20180814_124334.jpg
IMG_20180814_124334.jpg (314.65 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
IMG_20180814_124325.jpg
IMG_20180814_124325.jpg (294.11 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I'm very sorry to hear about your ordeal and your injury. I hope this doesn't become a financial burden on top of everything else you have gone through. I'm glad the Vibe protected you as designed. I parked my Vibe next to a new Forester today and fully understand the size and density disparity you mention, especially the current and upcoming Forester models.
nixternal

Post by nixternal »

Thanks Caretaker! I too am hoping it won't become a burden more than it needs to be. Unless I was to find that same exact Vibe, I'm seriously considering an older Subaru now :) Don't want to go the new car route, as I am one that likes to use my vehicles, so they are gonna get scratched & take a ding here or there, so that's why I think I will be OK in the end. On another note, anyone need an O2 sensor for their 2005 Vibe? Hehe. I was just about to replace mine, but didn't get the chance.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Let us know if we can be of (opinionated) help regarding your car search. I have the 2019 Forester in my sights should my Vibe commit suicide by oil overdose. I would be very careful about buying an older Subaru; their long term reliability has been a bit sketchy. Again, if you need help, let us know. There are some older bulletproof cars out there (Fit; Highlander) but it all depends on what your specific needs are in a car. Again, sorry for your loss.
nixternal

Post by nixternal »

Thanks again! Yeah, I just found a few Highlander's on CL here in Chicago. Priced nicely. Vibe or slightly bigger is my interest. I need to pull/roof top a fishing kayak & bicycles, and whatever else I need for my outdoor excursions. Saw a few Subies 2005 and newer that looked nice. Found an 08 Highlander with less than 100k for a good price prior to finagling of course. If the other driver's insurance company, state farm, does right by me I may step it up a little, but I'm not looking for a payout to go buy something I wouldn't buy normally. Though I have joked only because everyone came out OK, that I want a boat & a truck to pull it :D That darn Chris Jansen song always pops into my head!
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Sorry to see that, nixternal! And I am glad no one got seriously injured. That sure won't buff out. It's really amazing what crumble zones and air bags can do. I take it your airbag recall was done in time?
Wishing you the best of success in finding the right replacement.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Glad to hear that there were no major injuries.

That's an ugly hit on what once was a nice looking car. Sorry to see another one heading to the boneyard.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
nixternal

Post by nixternal »

Oh yeah, airbag replacement done last year, though it was the passenger air bag. Only thing airbag may have hit was my arm. I don't think it touched my body at all. Seat belt definitely worked & I think my fat acted as my airbag :D Thinking I'll probably stick with Toyota, because every Vibe that has been treated well & Matrix that I have been around, have been awesome. Last year, spent $800 & had the clutch done after 100k. Only put about 5k on the new clutch though :) Going through Autotrader & CL just to see what is out there. I definitely don't want to take on a new debt but probably will have to because I'm sure the other driver's insurance will offer crap.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

That's an unfortunate accident. She was a beauty even after all these years. Glad you're [mostly] okay. Airbags can do a number on you. I wrecked my old Volvo, which is what put me in a Vibe, and that airbag definitely could have hurt if the seatbelt and my fat gut didn't take the burnt of the impact. The seatbelt bruises are the worst. Good luck in your search and recovery!
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Years ago, I had a nasty wreck in my old '95 Dodge Neon. The airbags deployed and pushed my hand out the drivers side window. I was picking glass pieces out of my hand for months after that.

Airbags are serious business, but I walked away from that accident with only the cuts on my hand. I firmly believe it would have been a different story if the car hadn't had airbags.
Image (2).jpg
Image (2).jpg (428.09 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
When the time comes to replace my Vibe, I'm pretty sure I'll be staying in the family. I like the look of the new '19 Corolla Hatch. We'll see. That's hopefully a few years off.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Ouch :(! Sorry to hear about the Vibe, but glad there were no serious injuries. Definitely keep us posted on your search for a replacement.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
nixternal

Post by nixternal »

I walked in to a bit of a deal & was scared at first. 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE (R50 w/ AWD/4WD). Very little rust. Oh wait, 61,000 miles! Single owner! Older lady had it the entire time & drove it mostly to church over the years & kept it very well maintained. The leather interior looks damn near new & the carpets are stupid clean. Of course I WeatherTech'd the interior because winter is coming & I am good at messing up carpet :D I picked this vehicle up with the check the insurance handed out for just the Vibe plus a little cash. Crazy thing is I was looking at Pathfinders & 4Runners for about the past month since the accident, plus a Subaru here & there. I just wasn't sold on the Subaru reliability & it seems all the hipsters here around Chicago don't really maintain them well & expect you to over pay for their mistakes. I hate buying new cars because I tend to attract scratches & dents from "soft overlanding" & finding hidden fishing spots when I am to lazy to walk. Thing drives like a dream. Only plans are to change out the roof rack cross bars with a Yakima setup, trailer hitch, and some extra "off the beaten path" lighting. Doubt I will go any crazier than that, but if I can get 10 years out of this like the Vibe, I'll be more than happy.
2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE
2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE
IMG_20180908_160434.jpg (141.49 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Nice find! Looks like it should be almost as reliable as the Vibe. :lol:
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

Glad no one was seriously injured, but sad to see another GT go down forever...

I'll go ahead and be the first vulture to ask, but you wouldn't be willing to part out the car would you?
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
nixternal

Post by nixternal »

https://www.copart.com/lot/43775968 - there is the old Vibe GT. State Farm took it so I can't part it out. I wanted to do it, but they wouldn't allow it. Has a clutch with about 2k-3k miles on it, plus the Monsoon bits & pieces.