Recall Coming

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
scooter

Recall Coming

Post by scooter »

I just posted this in another thread, but thought I would put it here as well - I think more people read this thread...http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/200..._dc_3Toyota Motor Corp and General Motors Corp are recalling more than 662,000 vehicles sold in the United States due to defects in power windows, the two companies said on Wednesday.Toyota will recall 539,500 Corolla and Matrix vehicles for the 2003 and 2004 model years, it said in a statement.GM said it would recall 122,598 Pontiac Vibe hatchbacks, which share the same platform with Toyota's Matrix and are built by GM in a joint venture with the Japanese automaker.On vehicles equipped with power windows, the driver and front passenger glass bolts may loosen and cause the door glass to separate from the window regulator, Toyota said. Vehicles equipped with manual windows are not subject to the recall.Toyota will notify vehicle owners by mail, beginning in late April. It advised owners to contact their local Toyota dealer for inspection and repairs.Replacement of the driver and front passenger door glass bolts will be done at no charge, Toyota said.
03 AWD Neptune, Auto, Moon and TunesTraded 6/30/2008 for09 GT Red Hot Metallic, 5spd auto, sunroof
Raven

Re: Recall Coming (scooter)

Post by Raven »

It's about time. With all those breaking windows somebody could get broken glass in their beer.
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Always AFTER my **** breaks and I fix it myself!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
ColonelPanic

Re: Recall Coming

Post by ColonelPanic »

Hmm, so now I have to wonder if they're just going to tighten the bolts under this recall? That wasn't much of a permanent fix, was it?Or are they also going to replace the door checks, those were part of the problem too?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Digger

Re: Recall Coming (ColonelPanic)

Post by Digger »

They should pay you back if you fixed this on your own.
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

HMMMMM. what if they cant get to the bolts easily? Ive added a heavy dose of sound dampning in my doors, I guess I'm SOL?Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
RePo

Post by RePo »

I wonder if mine with a salvage title will be included in the recall, or if I'll be ignored. The passenger side window is clicking on the way down.
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

after i sell it!!! jeeeezzz bout time though
Kamikaze

Re: Recall Coming (Raven)

Post by Kamikaze »

Quote, originally posted by Raven »It's about time. With all those breaking windows somebody could get broken glass in their beer.Speaking of beer... where's Drunkenmaxx been?
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
mixer

Re: (northvibe)

Post by mixer »

Salvaged title or not, if a recall is issued on your vehicle they have too honor it. Obviously you have had your vehicle repaired and inspected so there is no reason for them to even try to weasel out of the recal
04 Vibe "SS" (Pontiac Dealer/Owner project),"SS"/TRD GraphicsTRD Tuned by Toyota (Dealership)Vibrant Strutbar,Polished Stainless Muffler Spectre Modular CAI- Body ColorBody Color Engine Cover w/Grafxwerks reflective overlayStellar Alarm System, Sony Xplod "GIGA PANEL" Blacked Out Z-24 15" rims w/ Goodyear Triple Tread Assurance
damronjr

Re: (audiovibe)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by audiovibe »HMMMMM. what if they cant get to the bolts easily? Ive added a heavy dose of sound dampning in my doors, I guess I'm SOL?AronSame here, had to rip off the passenger side door to fix the window when my car was broken into, and had to do the same to the drivers side door when the window fell off the track. That is why I never took it in to get it fixed, b/c I knew they probably wouldn't even deal with it b/c of the matting.The only thing I can think of is if they just go and put threadlocker on the bolts, but if they're just going to tighten them, that's not much of a fix now is it! lol I didn't know about the stops, how were they a problem?
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
coldmm803

Re: Recall Coming (Kamikaze)

Post by coldmm803 »

so is this just for the 03 - 04? I have an 05 and it makes some wierd noises now and then when i put the window down and rattles a lil. causes me to put it back up and turn on the ACQuote, originally posted by Kamikaze »Speaking of beer... where's Drunkenmaxx been?good question, his last post was 2-27-08. but back to the beer, i'm drinkin one now, sierra nevada
hskater26

Re: Recall Coming (coldmm803)

Post by hskater26 »

i had to fix mine right when i bought it in 05 haha
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
Vibe_dude

Post by Vibe_dude »

Once again it says cars sold in the US.....so i guess Canadians dont count!
LOVE THAT VIBE 2003 Satilite Silver auto.......188,000kms.2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer White 4.2 Inline 6 291hp auto.........156,000kms.
msmyer

Post by msmyer »

Quote, originally posted by scooter »Toyota will notify vehicle owners by mail, beginning in late April. It advised owners to contact their local Toyota dealer for inspection and repairs.Will GM contact Vibe owners? I would like to get mine fixed also. It's too making a clicking noise....
‘03 Vibe with 317k and still going.............................

Other Mods: Sony X-Plod Headunit & Reflective White GVC decalMy Car at Cardomain.com... http://www.cardomain.com/id/msmyer
ColonelPanic

Re: (Vibe_dude)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Since it's obviously a legitimate safety concern, I would hope GM Canada would step in and issue a recall!Or maybe not, since it was an US government agency that lit a fire under Toyota's (removed) to get them to do something about this... I dunno!They'd better issue a recall for you guys too, just because you're in Canada doesn't mean your windows won't fricken shatter! msmyer, they should notify you by mail, so keep an eye on the ol' mailbox!

Image Image
AZViking

Re: Recall Coming (msmyer)

Post by AZViking »

Quote, originally posted by msmyer »Will GM contact Vibe owners? I plan on calling the local dealer tomorrow (figure it'll take time for them to get the word out). The first article I read just said Toyota cars were affected (just before I came here to see if anyone else had heard). I was just about to call the Toyota dealer to plead my case ("Trust me, it's the same car, mechanically. Just fix it.") before I read the article shown here.
2015 Kia Sorento 32,000 miles, 2010 Kia Sportage LX, 68,000 miles
ColonelPanic

Re: Recall Coming (AZViking)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by AZViking » I was just about to call the Toyota dealer to plead my case ("Trust me, it's the same car, mechanically. Just fix it.") before I read the article shown here.Even though it is their defective hardware that is the cause of a recall, you can't get your Vibe repaired at a Toyota place for free due to this recall. GM is responsible for servicing it. Toyota *might* be interested in working on it if you paid them. But that's doubtful from what I've seen of Toyota, they're too arrogant to admit their engineering is in a lowly Pontiac, they just don't wanna work on 'em.

Image Image
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

But, I don't want glass in my beer...
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
AZViking

Re: Recall Coming (ColonelPanic)

Post by AZViking »

I know. I've gone to Toyota for the rear wiper blade insert rather than paying a Pontiac dealer for the same part at a higher price.When our alarm failed this christmas (alarm malfunctioned, so it shut off the starter), the dealership we had it towed to was a Pontiac (and Toyota) dealership. I thought "well, if their service guys are smart, they'll know what they're looking at."At least the windows aren't like the ones on my 89 Thunderbird (they used glue to hold the glass to the power window track) Almost every summer, I'd have to spend $40 to have the dealership glue the windows back on. My wife said her mother's 89 Taurus was the same way.Back on topic, I haven't noticed anything 'wrong' with our windows yet, so hopefully they'll hold up until the recall notices go out.
2015 Kia Sorento 32,000 miles, 2010 Kia Sportage LX, 68,000 miles
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

Nothing odd about my 05 windows. Although I do need to clean up the rubber stripping.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
jake75

Re: Recall Coming (Whelan)

Post by jake75 »

Question is - if my '03 has never had any sign of a window problem, do I respond to a recall and risk them screwing something up. When I think about it, I'll bet in 5 years I have not had the driver's side window down more than 100 times, and the passenger side much less than that. I could live without power windows - but remote keyless entry/power door locks are an absolute must have. Power mirrors are also more useful than power windows.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
michaelgt

Re: Recall Coming (jake75)

Post by michaelgt »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »Question is - if my '03 has never had any sign of a window problem, do I respond to a recall and risk them screwing something up. When I think about it, I'll bet in 5 years I have not had the driver's side window down more than 100 times, and the passenger side much less than that. I could live without power windows - but remote keyless entry/power door locks are an absolute must have. Power mirrors are also more useful than power windows.I would suggest that you have them do the fix. I started hearing the noise because I was using the window three times a day (to get into parking lot, to exit parking lot, and to get mail). Therefore, it may take 1000 times, but it was an issue.
Herb

Re: Recall Coming (jake75)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »Question is - if my '03 has never had any sign of a window problem, do I respond to a recall and risk them screwing something up. When I think about it, I'll bet in 5 years I have not had the driver's side window down more than 100 times, and the passenger side much less than that. I could live without power windows - but remote keyless entry/power door locks are an absolute must have. Power mirrors are also more useful than power windows.I'd say let them do it as well. I don't drive my Vibe that much so I haven't come across the problem yet either, but that doesn't mean I don't use the windows when I do drive.Parking garages require me to lower the window at least twice each visit, and then the occasional drive through so eventually it will probably fail.In the meantime, it doesn't seem like my dealership in Canada knows anything yet about the recall
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
bigbill25

Re: Recall Coming (Herb)

Post by bigbill25 »

Quote, originally posted by Herb »In the meantime, it doesn't seem like my dealership in Canada knows anything yet about the recallWell, it's not in the system down here yet. You can check for recalls here:http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/c...h.cfm--Bill
Herb

Re: Recall Coming

Post by Herb »

Another article regarding the recall:http://www.660news.com/news/lo..._5556Huge Toyota RecallApril 10, 2008 - 7:40 amDavid Tait & Bryce Kelley More than 700,000 Toyota Corolla, Matrix and Pontiac Vibe vehicles are being called back to the dealership because of a problem with a bolt in the power window system.Toyota is notifying some 50,000 Canadian and 540,000 U.S. owners of Corolla compact cars and Matrix crossover vehicles from the 2003-2004 model years about the need for free repairs.GM is recalling 123,000 Pontiac Vibe models assembled in a joint venture with Toyota in California.Toyota also said it is recalling almost 630,000 Noah and Voxy minivans from the 2001 to 2007 model years in Japan to fix a flaw that could lead to cracks in fuel tanks.Toyota Canada says the problem originated with defective bolts from a supplier, saying those bolts have now been redesigned.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

Great, because I'm starting to hear a loud pop once in a while on my driver side window. I was starting to wondering when it was going to shatter.
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, Pwr Pkg, Grafxwerks Badging, Coolblue Headlights, Silverstar Fogs, APC Silver Pedals Kit.
mixer

Post by mixer »

I called my local dealership and although they had heard about this through the internet, there has been no official notification sent to the dealerships. They did tell me to check back in 1 to 2 weeks and they would take care of it, providing GM sends them the official "go- ahead".
04 Vibe "SS" (Pontiac Dealer/Owner project),"SS"/TRD GraphicsTRD Tuned by Toyota (Dealership)Vibrant Strutbar,Polished Stainless Muffler Spectre Modular CAI- Body ColorBody Color Engine Cover w/Grafxwerks reflective overlayStellar Alarm System, Sony Xplod "GIGA PANEL" Blacked Out Z-24 15" rims w/ Goodyear Triple Tread Assurance
tribalman

Re: Recall Coming (mixer)

Post by tribalman »

Quote, originally posted by mixer »I called my local dealership and although they had heard about this through the internet, there has been no official notification sent to the dealerships. They did tell me to check back in 1 to 2 weeks and they would take care of it, providing GM sends them the official "go- ahead". i was gonna go in and ask the tech at the dealer that later today. i think i'm still going too. i need some tranny fluid, possibly flush it if it's not too much $$
None. Vibe is gone.
Vibe_dude

Post by Vibe_dude »

Just checked with my Pontiac dealer....he looked at me like I had 8 heads.lol....he had no idea what I was talking about....but did tell me to keep checking to see if the recall had come through.or to wait till I got my letter in the mail.
LOVE THAT VIBE 2003 Satilite Silver auto.......188,000kms.2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer White 4.2 Inline 6 291hp auto.........156,000kms.
Blueridge9

Post by Blueridge9 »

I also called my dealer today and they said the recall should come from GM in May and they will find us by our VIN # thru the DMV. She put me on hold and checked the GM website but the recall was not yet there.So GM should mail to me even though I bought my 04 Vibe used. She also said NOT ALL VIBES from 2003-04 are included ONLY certain production months were a problem (that's why the VIN will clarify whether you're affected). She talked to the Repair Manager and he said they do not yet have the new bolts,etc. that will be needed to correct the window.I think it's a good idea to call your dealer and bring this to their attention so they will be asking GM for more info.
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vibe_dude

Post by Vibe_dude »

Called GM Canada today to see if the recall covered Canadian Vibes......she told me that there was no recall in the system for Canadian vibes...but it may happen down the road if there was a recall on U.S. vibes.So once again Canadians are hung out to dry.GRRRRRRRRR!
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

does this apply to the 2007 models or just 2003&2004??
scooter

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by scooter »

Quote, originally posted by WaveAction »does this apply to the 2007 models or just 2003&2004??Everything I have read only says 03-04, and apparently not all of them, just certain VINs.
03 AWD Neptune, Auto, Moon and TunesTraded 6/30/2008 for09 GT Red Hot Metallic, 5spd auto, sunroof
Vibe_dude

Post by Vibe_dude »

Quote, originally posted by Vibe_dude »Called GM Canada today to see if the recall covered Canadian Vibes......she told me that there was no recall in the system for Canadian vibes...but it may happen down the road if there was a recall on U.S. vibes.So once again Canadians are hung out to dry.GRRRRRRRRR!Ok first I want to say I am sorry......because shortly after I talked to the very nice woman at GM Canada,she must have went out of her way and took the time out of her day to call me back and found out that the recall is in its prelimanary stage at GM Canada and that a recall is coming to us Canadian vibe owners.She told me that it will effect 03-04 vibes in Canada by certain vin#'s.And possibly to expect a notice by mail around the end of May.woot woot. So finally I am glad to say I was wrong and that I am so glad to see that Gm Canada hires wonderful ppl at thier call centres that take thier time to do thier jobs right and give REAL customer support. .
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Shouldn't you guys worry about getting all those square wheels and tires fixed up there in Canada first?!?
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
Psychobroker

Re: Recall Coming (Raven)

Post by Psychobroker »

Quote, originally posted by Raven »It's about time. With all those breaking windows somebody could get broken glass in their beer.Amen, I've had to get mine fixed twice..luckily, both were under warranty.
bigbill25

Re: Recall Coming (Psychobroker)

Post by bigbill25 »

It now shows up in the goverment computers (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/c...h.cfm):Make : PONTIAC Model : VIBE Year : 2003 Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC. Mfr's Report Date : APR 09, 2008 NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 08V162000NHTSA Action Number: EA08004 Component: VISIBILITY:GLASS, SIDE/REAR Potential Number Of Units Affected : 662178 Make / Models : Model/Build Years: PONTIAC / VIBE 2003-2004 TOYOTA / COROLLA 2003-2004 TOYOTA / COROLLA MATRIX 2003-2004 Recall Number: 08V162000 Summary: TOYOTA IS RECALLING 662,178 MY 2003-2004 COROLLA, COROLLA MATRIX AND PONTIAC VIBE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH POWER WINDOWS. THE DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER DOOR GLASS BOLTS MAY LOOSEN AND COME OFF, CAUSING THE DOOR GLASS TO SEPARATE FROM THE WINDOW REGULATOR. DUE TO THE COMPONENTS BECOMING LOOSE AND POSSIBLY RATTLING, AN ABNORMAL NOISE MAY BE HEARD FROM THE DRIVER AND /OR FRONT PASSENGER DOOR WHEN OPERATING THE POWER WINDOWS. Consequence: THE DOOR GLASS MAY SEPARATE FROM THE WINDOW REGULATOR, BIND AND SHATTER DURING OPERATION OF THE POWER WINDOWS, CAUSING DRIVER DISTRACTION AND/OR INJURY. Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER DOOR GLASS BOLTS WITH NEWLY DESIGNED BOLTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-888-270-9371. Notes: CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
Blueridge9

Re: Recall Coming (bigbill25)

Post by Blueridge9 »

Bigbill,Thanks for the update!! Since my dealer still has no new info. I called the toll-free Pontiac Customer # in the US at 1-800-762-2737 (in our owner's manual) for the first time. Canadian Pontiac customer service is 1-800-263-3777.I gave the operator the recall number 08V162000, my VIN# and asked if she could tell me whether my car has the defective bolts or not. She said there will be a recall coming later in late May for some cars built between Jan. 18, 2002-April, 26, 2004) but they don't yet have the VIN list so it's unclear if mine is included. My 2004 Vibe was built in July of 2003. If you bought your car used you might want to call the above number and create a Pontiac account with your profile, current address, VIN to make it easy for GM to notify you promptly.
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Herb

Re: (vibolista)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by vibolista »Shouldn't you guys worry about getting all those square wheels and tires fixed up there in Canada first?!? Didn't you know that the square tires are actually a feature? They're great on snow!
vibolista

Re: (Herb)

Post by vibolista »

Cool. Was wondering how those tires performed!! Saw that in a little comedy show called South Park.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
Toasted7

Re: (vibolista)

Post by Toasted7 »

So the 2005 owners are screwed I assume? I have already had the dealership fix the window once and it is doing the same thing again. I can't wait till my drivers window shatters in my face!?!
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
Herb

Re: (Toasted7)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by Toasted7 »So the 2005 owners are screwed I assume? I have already had the dealership fix the window once and it is doing the same thing again. I can't wait till my drivers window shatters in my face!?! Well I assume once dealers are stocked with the new bolts any future repairs should last. I'd report to GM about the problem in your model year.
vibolista

Re: (Herb)

Post by vibolista »

If I had a 2005, like my son has, I would make sure that the bolts are holding up. Suggested that to him, so, soon as he is out of school next month, we pull the door panels off and see how tight those bolts are. Anyone consider Threadlock?
canadianroadie

Post by canadianroadie »

In Canada,, called GM the other day and they DO NOT have any noitce of a recall to be issued out. If anyone gets any info please do forward on to this site.
Houston

Post by Houston »

I just got a postcard from my dealer about this recall. I called to set up an appointment. He said somebody screwed up by sending those out already - that they don't yet have the necessary parts, but they should be in this coming Monday and I will be then be notified about it.So, anyway, it's getting close.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
Vibe_dude

Re: (canadianroadie)

Post by Vibe_dude »

I called GM Canada about a month ago,and they told me it would be coming around the end of may..so I here holding my breathe.
Blueridge9

Post by Blueridge9 »

Still no postcard so I called my Pontiac dealer and he said they just got the official recall from GM on May 13th and don't have the parts yet. It sounded like this was all news to him and that he could not even figure out what part number to order! They checked the last 8 digits of my VIN and confirmed that my Vibe is in the affected group. He told me to call back next Tuesday and he will have an update for me.So if you have a 2003-2004 Vibe call either your local Pontiac dealer or the GM customer service and they can look up your VIN and tell you whether your car got the defective bolts.Does anybody know what part number dealers need to order-Geez?! Wouldn't you think GM would put that in the recall bulletin.
WD0AFQ

Post by WD0AFQ »

Does this have anything to do with a rattling driver window when it is not rolled all the way up?Dan
Dan GreggDexter, Mo.03 GThttp://www.danandteri.blogspot.com
scooter

Re: (WD0AFQ)

Post by scooter »

Quote, originally posted by WD0AFQ »Does this have anything to do with a rattling driver window when it is not rolled all the way up?DanI was wondering the same thing... mine does that too. My guess is that it does.