Something to ponder....

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
damronjr

Something to ponder....

Post by damronjr »

So, let's say you owned (yep, used the Jan tax returns to pay it off, it's mine!) a 2004 Pontiac Vibe base S/C'ed with LOTS of other mods, some problems, ~38k mi, and your wife said, "Let's take our May tax refund, put it into the Vibe to fix any minor things that need done, sell it, and move to TX!" where you have been waiting the last 2yrs to get? What would you do? How much would you expect to get for said vehicle as is? Do you think trying to part it out then sell it stock would be a better idea, when all of your stock parts are either gone or in another state in storage? Is it worth it? Just looking for some input/insight!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
ajflan

Re: Something to ponder.... (damronjr)

Post by ajflan »

Thats a tough one. I guess it really depends on where you see your life going right now. It would be sad to see the Vibe go, especially now when it looks better than ever. On the other hand, it is just a car (I can't believe that I just said that), and cars come and go. Life happens once. If you see your future in TX, then maybe that is where you should go. As for price and junk, it sounds like it would be a huge pain to get it back to stock, so I would sell it as is. I'll tell you what, lets just swap cars. You can convert mine back to stock much easier.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
damronjr

Re: Something to ponder.... (ajflan)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by ajflan »Thats a tough one. I guess it really depends on where you see your life going right now. It would be sad to see the Vibe go, especially now when it looks better than ever. On the other hand, it is just a car (I can't believe that I just said that), and cars come and go. Life happens once. If you see your future in TX, then maybe that is where you should go. As for price and junk, it sounds like it would be a huge pain to get it back to stock, so I would sell it as is. I'll tell you what, lets just swap cars. You can convert mine back to stock much easier. I came here to SD in the Navy, I am from Dallas, and have been trying to get back there since I got out of the Navy, but finding work there was tougher than I thought, and with the wife and I both making pretty decent money here, it's hard to leave, especially with all of our bills, but that cushion could hold us for a little while while we find stuff out there.As for the trade, I'm sure you're right! lol I could sell yours much easier than mine as well, I'm sure! Less mods, less problems, cleaner more stock but still sexy modified look! The biggest thing is I hate San Diego and DO NOT want my son growing up here!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
Blueridge9

Post by Blueridge9 »

Damronjr,Those are big decisions you are pondering.I can't advise you about the Vibe nor the move.I was struck by your statement, that you've been waiting 2 years to get there.That's a long time to want to move to TX! You sound excited about it.and like you and the wife have considered the pros and cons of a move.Someone once said that as you reflect on your life - you may regret the experiences you never try more than any setbacks. On a practical note it's also easier to move before you have kids in school. Seems like if you don't like TX you can always move again. You might try to find someone who recently moved there and ask them how they managed it.Good Luck with your decision either way.
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

cant exactly give you advice about moving or to sell/not to sell, thats something you guys will have to decide but i can tell you selling a moded car, you are a lot less likely to get as much as you can stock because:1. many people wont like your taste in mods, and wont want to pay for something they dont like2. a lot of people see mods and automatically assume the car was driven hard/pushed a lot (even though that frequently isnt the case)3. the market for a vibe is USUALLY an older crowd (imo?) and most older people dont go for moded carsbut the choice is up to you if you do decide to sell, i would advise stock, but if you pull it off moded, props to ya!
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

While you ponder this, I'd be looking for jobs. Then, if the right one comes along, you can try to sell the Vibe and not worry about the cash from the sale trying to tide you over...worst case, you sell the Vibe in TX.Tough call, but it'd be worth setting that up in something like a CD so it's tough to get to immediately (keeping you from dipping in for whimsy) and then you will have it when you do move.I'm not all about saving money, but it wouldn't have to be a painful transition. I forget what you do, but if you are interested in moving to TX and not just Dallas, you may look at Zachry Construction Corporation - I believe they are hiring.
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

you got to to what you got to do, but why not keep the vibe if you need a car? Its paid off, thats awesome, and with only 38k miles that still low. if you sell...you will almost have to part it out, you will not make any were near the money you would with the parts. After market parts seem to hold their value off a car than on, unless you find that 1 person that loves your car.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

There is now way in hell I would go to Texas. I hate Texas. But for someone from there that wants to go back, it might be a good idea.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
satur9

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by satur9 »

cheaper to keep her.the vibe that is.
look my sniggies, i had a strizz-oke in my brizz-ain okay,you know what im saying. so i cant move all good. but thanks for mentioning that .thank you very much.athf4evr. click here! you know you want to!!!
nate06

Re: (satur9)

Post by nate06 »

That is a tough question. I would think you would get more for the parts and the stock car separate but if it cost more to put back together then there is no point. You will also likely end up buying another car within a year anyways and then you have a payment again.
06 Stealth Vibe5 SpdDrag Dr9 Wheels
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Demoding before selling is almost always a better option. I know it's a pain when everything is installed, but you'll get more money for the car (typically) and you can sell the mods.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
nate06

Re: (nate06)

Post by nate06 »

Yes, we are looking at the mods you have and drooling over our chance to get some of the parts.
06 Stealth Vibe5 SpdDrag Dr9 Wheels
keithvibe

Re: (nate06)

Post by keithvibe »

***the vultures are circling My 2cents for what it's worth.Keep the car.. you will be kicking yourself that you got rid of it just when you could use it the most with potental moving and home improvment projects.As far as moving.... don't wait look now... If I have learned anything from recent incidents in my life... enjoy yourself now you may not be around to enjoy it at "retirement age"I wouldn't sell and move with out a plan though... I would do this if your marriage is strong. One of you quit... move to TX. The other stays behind and continues to work bringing in the good pay check. When the other finds work and a place to live that can support the family then the rest move. This way here you are not cutting off your income totally.This idea would only work if both of you are willing to limit your time together to phone calls and plane rides for say 6 months. If nothing happens in six month time frame move back to SD
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
mjbsb69

Post by mjbsb69 »

I am from OKC, OK....3 hrs north of Dallas, TX and go down there to play on weekends. The cost of living is soooo much less in TX (and OK) vs. CA. You could sell the Vibe buy another and MOD it on the housing cost difference. The people/lifestyle in TX are more conservative....a pro for raising kids. It really might be worth the trade.We loose people all the time in OK to good new jobs in TX.
viciousSquirrel

Post by viciousSquirrel »

part out performance stuff. sell car stock. period end of story.
Blueridge9

Post by Blueridge9 »

Damronjr,I'm curious......Now that you have pondered, what did you decide to do? Will you go to TX or stay in CA? Will you decide later? Will you sell or keep the Vibe? If you sell will it be stock or with mods?
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
damronjr

Re: Something to ponder.... (Blueridge9)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by Blueridge9 »Damronjr,I'm curious......Now that you have pondered, what did you decide to do? Will you go to TX or stay in CA? Will you decide later? Will you sell or keep the Vibe? If you sell will it be stock or with mods?Don't know yet. Haven't put much thought into it since this! lol