New Leaked picture of the 09 Vibe GT!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
bull77

Post by bull77 »

I'm with Puckman27 - I'll have to wait till pics of the new Matrix to pass judgement. I miss the exterior 'look' and the roof bars. Front is okay - but I wish the grill was bigger...The wait continues.....
ColonelPanic

Re:

Post by ColonelPanic »

Looks too Toyota-like, not a good thing in my book. Visibility appears to be even worse than the current model which I have a hard time seeing out of as it is. Lose the clear tail lights too, I don't want to be confused for a ricer. Although everybody else here can finally get the lights they've been wanting for years. Although I still find it hard to believe that this is an "actual" picture of the actual car. Even though it allegedly comes from GM it still looks horribly hacked up in Photoshop. Many parts of it don't look like a real car to me... The roof especially looks jagged, and some of the hood does as well. Anybody else sense the fakedness of this? If it is a "real" picture, somebody's done a bit too much in Photoshop before releasing it.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
02csnow

Re:

Post by 02csnow »

So far, I dont like it. Like alot of people have said ( too much Matrix ), not that I have anything against them, but I chose the vibe for a reason. But need to see more pics. I am not feeling the Aztek headlights and the altezzas.
Bye Bye Vibe.............
eilros

Re: New Leaked picture of the 09 Vibe GT! (Jeremy96gase)

Post by eilros »

Very nice!!!
2004 Satellite Base
02csnow

Re:

Post by 02csnow »

Bye Bye Vibe.............
cooks128

Post by cooks128 »

Looks too much like the Matrix....
SeattleJeremy

Re: New Leaked picture of the 09 Vibe GT! (eilros)

Post by SeattleJeremy »

So this is how I see the engines and transmissions lining up. Base 1.8L 128 hp/125 lbs (from the xD)5 speed manual, and optional 4 speed automaticGT 2.4 161 hp/162lbs (from the tC) 5 speed manual, and optional 4 speed automatic (I don't think there will be a 6 speed manual )AWD??? Toyota does not currently have a AWD car they can pull the drive line from. I think they have three options here1. Use the transmission from the Rav4 with the tC engine (would require new bellhosing for an old transmission, so I think this is unlikely). 2. Revive the transmission from the old Vibe/Matrix with the xD engine. (Using old part designs is also not likely.)3. All new transmission, loosly based on the old Vibe/Matrix transmission with xD or tC engines.Looks like we might have to wait till Halloween for the Matrix/Corolla debut. http://www.toyota.com/vehicles...ATRIX
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
joatmon

Re: Re: (02csnow)

Post by joatmon »

funny how pontiac underground says they have "exclusive" photo, they even tagged it with their logo. Some body who signed up for that site ought to let them know that they don't have an exlusive on the story.hard to tell exactly how it compares to earlier models, but it seems like the windows are smaller, the hood is higher, the back is shorter. I like visibility and storage, did they really cut down on both?
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

Quote, originally posted by Jeremy96gase »So this is how I see the engines and transmissions lining up. Base 1.8L 128 hp/125 lbs (from the xD)5 speed manual, and optional 4 speed automaticGT 2.4 161 hp/162lbs (from the tC) 5 speed manual, and optional 4 speed automatic (I don't think there will be a 6 speed manual )AWD??? Toyota does not currently have a AWD car they can pull the drive line from. I think they have three options here1. Use the transmission from the Rav4 with the tC engine (would require new bellhosing for an old transmission, so I think this is unlikely). 2. Revive the transmission from the old Vibe/Matrix with the xD engine. (Using old part designs is also not likely.)3. All new transmission, loosly based on the old Vibe/Matrix transmission with xD or tC engines.1) The 2.4L 4cyl. engine that is currently used in both the tc and Rav4 has 160-166hp. The Rav 4 2.4L also has an available AWD system already, so why would you need a different transmission?As for the others, I'm not sure of those ideas either, but for Toyota to keep the 128hp 1.8L is just not worth it. Especiall since Scion is the smaller, cheaper brand of Toyota, so why would you give a Toyota less hp??? I think the new base/XR will be the 2.4L with 160ish hp, AWD availability. I think the XRS will either be a S/C'd 2.4L or the 3.3L V6 out of the Solara with 210hp. That would be more feasible than the 3.5L in the Rav 4.Also let's not forget the potential for a 2.4L hybrid with 147hp. The whole point here is that Toyota doesn't use the 1.8L engine in any of it's cars. Even the Yaris is a 1.5L. So why would they carry it over for one car when all their 4cyl. small cars (except the compacts) are using the 2.4L. It would make no sense to just throw in the 160hp 2.4L for the XRS, now you have a brand new performance model with less hp than the previous one??? It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that wouldn't work. A heavier car with the same hp as a Scion tc? I'm just putting my $.02 in but I really think the 2.4L is the new base with 160hp, they have to do it, the new Corolla is using the 2.4L when it debuts and the average hp numbers for the small cars nowadays is at least a minimum of 140hp.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Petrucci914

Re: New Leaked picture of the 09 Vibe GT! (Whelan)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Ya, I'm guessing there will be much more horsepower this time around. They want to go after their original market which is us. What turns us on? Power, of course! The economical ideals will be out the window. My guess is Base/AWD get tC engine with 4 speed auto/5 speed manual. And the GT has the supercharger added to it.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
isaaclud

Post by isaaclud »

well i like it....it looks HOT...and I find it interesting that you people who thinkit looks too much like a "Toyota" are content drivinga car with a "Toyota" motor under the hood...it even says VVT-i on the cover...it strikes me as slightly hypocraticthat car looksssss good
PEACEISAAC
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

a number of vibe owners specifically chose the vibe over the matrix because of the exterior styling. True that some decided to buy a Vibe/Matrix because of the Toyota powertrain/Corolla base, but this is not in conflict with the styling preference. If the Vibe and Matrix are identical, then the only reason to pick one over the other would be the badge.Throwing economy out the the window in favor of power may sell a few cars, but they won't sell one to me. The power/economy mix of the current base powertrain is a good compromise for many of us. It is wrong to assume that all of us here would sacrifice efficiency for power. I better stop before I start to rant about global warming, economic impacts of oil addiction, war, selfish indulgence, etc. Don't get me started
Petrucci914

Re: (joatmon)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Well, how old are you? You may not be in their intended market. I'm all about the environment whether global warming is true or not. We all know Toyota's track record. They can make decent power efficiently. The tC engine would be much more power and still has very good gas mileage. I'd enjoy a nice balance.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

The 2.4L is a fairly effecient engine, and since it can handle the weight better, especially in an AWD model, it would take less high revving and strain on the engine to get it to speed, thus better mileage. I suspect that the new AWD numbers will be in the 29-33range. Which is phenomenal for an AWD. I get 25 average now.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
slvrvibes

Post by slvrvibes »

I like it.
genvibe garage
joatmon

Re: (Petrucci914)

Post by joatmon »

you are right, I am obsolete, I shouldn't have bought a vibe, and it would be wise of GM to ruin the fuel efficiency of the most efficient vehicle in the entire product line. After all, it is all about power, and economy should rightly be thrown out the window.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

haha. Settle the hell down, man. I'm just saying that the market they want to appeal to usually cares about looks and power more than efficiency. But it's a Toyota platform, so any 4-cylinder is going to be very efficient. If they go with the tC engine highway will be 30-35, and city will be like 26-30, I think. Ya, it may go down a few mpgs but that'll happen. If they want this venture to be successful they need to make their focus be on the style and drivetrain.
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »you are right, I am obsolete, I shouldn't have bought a vibe, and it would be wise of GM to ruin the fuel efficiency of the most efficient vehicle in the entire product line. After all, it is all about power, and economy should rightly be thrown out the window. Who is that too? Obsolete, I am all for mpg as the next guy but a little extra zoom can make a healthy balance. I guess if I had to suffer 1-2mpg to get more power I would, but if the 2.4 is matched to the AWD I think again fuel efficiency would increase because the engine is not working as hard to pull the weight therefore a reduction in fuel consumption = better mpg.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Neouka

Post by Neouka »

my next car is going to be a current gen RAV4 unless they do something about those ugly headlights... Can't say I like the grille either.. then again I haven't liked it much since they made the vibe look like a minivan in 05..
03 Abyss Base, not 5 .. 6spd!2012 Focus soon...
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

i'm diggin it. not the front end so much, but the rest of it, i see a little mazda 3 in there.nice job, pontiac!
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
mkaresh

Re: (ramenboy...)

Post by mkaresh »

Looks good to me. I see some of the same surfacing as in the new Cadillac CTS, so I suspect GM had a big hand in the styling. My understanding is that they took a lead role in the styling last time around.It does look somewhat like a Mazda3, but then there have always been similarities.
http://www.truedelta.comMore useful vehicle reliability researchVehicle price comparisons, quick and thorough
Whelan

Re: (mkaresh)

Post by Whelan »

Typically Toyota and Pontiac on this model shared the Toyota Engine and a joined effort in the interior styling, but body paneling has always been done in house, either way I think I'm going to be please with the Trix as well.+1 for keeping the name Vibe
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I give it two paws up. Woof!
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
bull77

Re: (isaaclud)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by isaaclud »and I find it interesting that you people who thinkit looks too much like a "Toyota" are content drivinga car with a "Toyota" motor under the hood...it even says VVT-i on the cover...it strikes me as slightly hypocraticI'm perfectly content driving a car with a Toyota engine - that was one of the selling points for me.But the biggest reason why I chose the Vibe over the Matrix was for the exterior styling - now that they 'may' look the same, it would depend on $$$ if I choose another Vibe
Mavrik

Re: New Leaked picture of the 09 Vibe GT! (MRCN RCE)

Post by Mavrik »

That looks pretty good. Wonder if they will back up those good looks with some performance too.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

they might put the scion tc engine in there, that would be pretty quick with all that torque...this vibe would look amazing with some side pipes coming out in those slots in front of the wheels...oh and at least they got rid of the old wheel style, i truly hate my stock 17's i would trade them for the 'trix ones any day...
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
Zorren

Re: (wyatt89)

Post by Zorren »

slick, If they offer a automatic GT I just may have to trade.
Mrs. White: Yes, I did it. I killed Yvette. I hated her so... much... it... it... the... it... the... fee... flames... flames... on the side of my face... heaving... breathless... heaving breaths...
Dans_03Vibe

Post by Dans_03Vibe »

Nah its all about the 03 models dropd, no roof rack,rims
Current Mods:AEM CAI,Hotchkis Lowering Springs,RK Sport CF Roof Caps(STILL NOT ON CAR),SR Racing SR7 17'Wheels,S2000 Antenna,Goerlich XLERATOR Exhaust,Audiobahn amp(non working) 2 10"subs(siting in garage)Wish List:Ground Effects BodyKit,DC Headers,New Exhaust System,New Amp,Tein Lowering Springs,Fix The Dents,New Paint
Herb

Re: New Leaked picture of the 09 Vibe GT! (CountryVibe)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by CountryVibe »I like the new lookIt seems like they either shorten the back or just made the window behind the rear door really smallLooks shorter to me as well.Doesn't matter to me anyways. I'm not planning on buying or trading my car anytime soon. Especially since it's paid off. Such a relief knowing that it's all mine.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
mistertwo

Re: (Whelan)

Post by mistertwo »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »haha. Settle the hell down, man. I'm just saying that the market they want to appeal to usually cares about looks and power more than efficiency. But it's a Toyota platform, so any 4-cylinder is going to be very efficient. If they go with the tC engine highway will be 30-35, and city will be like 26-30, I think. Ya, it may go down a few mpgs but that'll happen. If they want this venture to be successful they need to make their focus be on the style and drivetrain.if you want performance buy a G8. This is not a performance oriented vehicle. This is a peppy, roomy, economical car. If they were building this for performance it would have stuck with pontiacs new RWD revolution. But it will be FWD and AWD. It would be awesome to see them bump the ponies for the base, but I dont know where you did your research, but majority of the people who buy a vibe don't buy it to go fast.. they buy them because they get good mileage and have tons of room inside. PLUS this is all speculation that they will use a toyota drivetrain, who knows, we may see a 2.x ecotec... Now that the matrix is done with or undergoing a name change and face lift, how are we sure that the vibe and the "blade?" are still brothers? anyone have any links to factual information, or is this all more speculation?
vibebuilder

Post by vibebuilder »

There she is! Hey, I've seen you before! lolFinally some official pictures.
808 Vibes

Re: New Leaked picture of the 09 Vibe GT! (vibebuilder)

Post by 808 Vibes »

It's nice, but I'm not parting with my baby! She may be a no- mods, no-frills base, but she's paid for, LOL
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
NascarXprt

Re: New Leaked picture of the 09 Vibe GT! (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by NascarXprt »

man oh man that thing is freakin sweet! id love to get my hands on one... in the near future >_
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

wasnt there a spec relase awhile ago about the dual vvt-i 1.8l engine from yota? Pretty sure thats the new base engine and the 2.4 will be the GT...but we shall see.
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

You know what? The more I look at it the more it looks kinda frumpy. I guess I'll have to see it in person.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
ragingfish

Re: (mistertwo)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by mistertwo »PLUS this is all speculation that they will use a toyota drivetrain, who knows, we may see a 2.x ecotec... Now that the matrix is done with or undergoing a name change and face lift, how are we sure that the vibe and the "blade?" are still brothers? anyone have any links to factual information, or is this all more speculation?The two are still joint programs. This will not have a GM powertrain.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

just saw this article on the 09 corolla, i expect that we'll get the same engine. i hope the article is wrong and we get somethin a lil larger http://www.thetorquereport.com...#more
NascarXprt

Re: (coldmm803)

Post by NascarXprt »

well it will be revieled at the LA Auto show this year.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
waveresponder

Re: (isaaclud)

Post by waveresponder »

Quote, originally posted by isaaclud »well i like it....it looks HOT...and I find it interesting that you people who thinkit looks too much like a "Toyota" are content drivinga car with a "Toyota" motor under the hood...it even says VVT-i on the cover...it strikes me as slightly hypocraticthat car looksssss goodthink it looks too much like a matrix...not too much like a toyota...theres a differance dude...lol
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »1) The 2.4L 4cyl. engine that is currently used in both the tc and Rav4 has 160-166hp. The Rav 4 2.4L also has an available AWD system already, so why would you need a different transmission?I forgot the Rav4 had the 2.4L. Well then it'll be a direct drop in. Quote, originally posted by coldmm803 »just saw this article on the 09 corolla, i expect that we'll get the same engine. i hope the article is wrong and we get somethin a lil larger http://www.thetorquereport.com...#moreSo I think I was right. Base 1.8L auto4/manual5 GT 2.4L auto4/manual5AWD 2.4L auto4
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

Quote, originally posted by Jeremy96gase »AWD 2.4L auto4if that's true... why do they insist on not pairing the 5-speed with the AWD?
NibCrom

Re: New Leaked picture of the 09 Vibe GT! (ANO_Vibe)

Post by NibCrom »

Quote, originally posted by ANO_Vibe »if that's true... why do they insist on not pairing the 5-speed with the AWD? Because it would be too awesome.
Whelan

Re: New Leaked picture of the 09 Vibe GT! (NibCrom)

Post by Whelan »

That article is weird, I understand that the very base model Rolla gets 128hp out of the 1.8L. But I really doubt they will offer that on the Trix. All's they did was squeeze 2 more hp from the thing, probably from the exhaust routing or something. I could possibly see the very base model of the Vibe/Trix to have this engine, then the XR and AWD models to get the 158hp, then something else for the GT/XRS.I just cannot see the point in offering an XRS/GT version with 158-160hp. The GT/XRS now has 164 (revised #'s from the 180), why go down. That would be such reverse engineering.Oh and the Matrix name is staying, cars will be shown at SEMA. I am really going crazy over the specs. But again I have my own opinions.1.8L 158hp in base/AWD2.4L tuned to more than 160hp in the GT/XRS and an AWD model all available in Auto or 6 speed.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

the 3.5 would be scary in a vibe. does toyota make a 3.5? if not, i doubt the vibe will get one.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Whelan

Re: New Leaked picture of the 09 Vibe GT! (drunkenmaxx)

Post by Whelan »

3.5L V6 Rav 4276hp3.3L V6 Solara210hp
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

ah, ok. i think the 3.3 would be the more likely of the 2.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
GMJAP

Re: (waveresponder)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by waveresponder »think it looks too much like a matrix...not too much like a toyota...theres a differance dude...lolFrankly, it looks like the current Vibe and Matrix did the chang-chang. It got Dad's (Vibe's) face and Mom's body.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
King Neptune

Post by King Neptune »

I like it. I like the nice smooth doors. Now I wonder what the price differances will be?
2004 Neptune BaseMoon & Tunes Pkg.Premium Monotone Pkg.17" WheelsGM Sport PackageViper Remote Start, 35% Tint, Debadged
mkaresh

Re: New Leaked picture of the 09 Vibe GT! (King Neptune)

Post by mkaresh »

I doubt the pre-incentive price will change much. They hardly ever do lately.And I wouldn't expect any V6. If there were one, it would be the 3.5. The 3.3 is being phased out.When prices are released I'll be sure to get them quickly up on my site.
http://www.truedelta.comMore useful vehicle reliability researchVehicle price comparisons, quick and thorough
King Neptune

Re: New Leaked picture of the 09 Vibe GT! (mkaresh)

Post by King Neptune »

Instead of the GT model they should make a GXP 2.4L with a turbo or SC.
2004 Neptune BaseMoon & Tunes Pkg.Premium Monotone Pkg.17" WheelsGM Sport PackageViper Remote Start, 35% Tint, Debadged