picking up my second vibe monday

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
tahoejeff

picking up my second vibe monday

Post by tahoejeff »

i've been enjoying my first vibe for 3 years now, a 2003 black vibe with moons n toons. just signed the papers today for a loaded 2008 vibe with monotone salsa. my '03 only had 55k. the dealer would only give me $9100 trade.can't wait til monday. this will be my first brand new vehicle. it has 3 miles on it.says it has back seat heat vents...where are they?also, with the monotone, it has the gray plastic around the bottom of the vehicle painted the same salsa color. how does this option hold up? will the paint crack if someone dings this plastic?
NascarXprt

Re: picking up my second vibe monday (tahoejeff)

Post by NascarXprt »

Congrats on your second purchase! and wow, 55K on an 03 pretty good and for 9100
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by tahoejeff »says it has back seat heat vents...where are they?I thought all vibes had those. Mine has openings under the front seats, I think air comes out of them
tahoejeff

Re: picking up my second vibe monday (joatmon)

Post by tahoejeff »

they do?! i'll have to go read my owners manual when i clean out the glove compartment.
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »I thought all vibes had those. Mine has openings under the front seats, I think air comes out of themthose are for the heat for the floor.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
djb383

Post by djb383 »

Quote, originally posted by tahoejeff »...........my '03 only had 55k. the dealer would only give me $9100 trade.............Usually a dealer makes a ton of money off a good clean low mileage trade-in. That's why dealers are constantly buying late model used vehicles at auction. Much more margin for them than on the new vehicle.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
tahoejeff

Re: picking up my second vibe monday (djb383)

Post by tahoejeff »

he actually wanted to give me $8600 for it. after driving the new vibe and talking about it with my wife, we came back and said that was no good. we'd go home and sell it on our own. the manager tried to hide that he was worried. he said, 'what's it going to take to make this happen?' (i think i hear that EVERY time i buy a vehicle) when i told him $9600, he jokingly grabbed at his heart. we eventually agreed on $9100.i just removed my stereo and put the factory unit back in. glad i bought the right plug instead of cutting off the vibe plug. i also removed my trailer hitch.the new vibe is capable of playing my mp3 mix cd's so i guess i'll stick with the factory unit this time. will have to buy another remote car starter. i didn't wanna mess with trying to remove that.
binary

Post by binary »

Yeah, I think I've heard that from every dealer I bought from too... they must all go to some slimy sales school to learn the tricks. Now I just walk in and say "This is what its going to take to make this happen...x, y, and z."
binary

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by tahoejeff »i've been enjoying my first vibe for 3 years now, a 2003 black vibe with moons n toons. just signed the papers today for a loaded 2008 vibe with monotone salsa. my '03 only had 55k. the dealer would only give me $9100 trade.can't wait til monday. this will be my first brand new vehicle. it has 3 miles on it.says it has back seat heat vents...where are they?also, with the monotone, it has the gray plastic around the bottom of the vehicle painted the same salsa color. how does this option hold up? will the paint crack if someone dings this plastic?My wife and I both drive '05 monotones... her's is a Salsa and mine is abyss. The paint has held up very well on the cladding - I can't say the same for the roof or hood... The front seats have small plastic vents pointing towards the feet of the rear passengers. They work pretty well for keeping people in the back comfortably - especially A/COh, and congrats on your first new car! This was my first brand new one as well.
djb383

Re: (binary)

Post by djb383 »

All you gotta do is educate yourself by going to the same "slimy sales school" and read the same text book(s) the salesman/dealer does. It appears to me that their trade-in offer, $9100, was +/- $1000 over KBB. Not bad. KBB shows retail at +/- $11700 and the dealer will probably take +/- $10700 for it. So, the dealer is going to make +/- $1600 on the trade-in and $500-$1000 on the new car. I understand it's a lot easier to trade a vehicle in vs selling it yourself but every body and their dog are looking for a clean, low mileage vehicle so that's why I try for a weekend or maybe even a week to sell it my self and put that $1600 in my pocket instead of the dealers. Virtually every car deal I've done has been in the parking lot, not at the salesmans/managers desk. When I tell them that "this is my final offer and I know it is a fair one" (they have to eat to) I get up, thank them for their time and walk out. Almost always, the salesman has caught up to me by the time I've reached my car, in the parking lot, and we finalize the deal.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Congrats! My 03 will be paid for in a few months glad it is still worth a lot if I were to get rid of it! A lot meaning in relation to what I owe, less then $2,000 on it.
jake75

Re: (djb383)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by djb383 »All you gotta do is educate yourself by going to the same "slimy sales school" and read the same text book(s) the salesman/dealer does. It appears to me that their trade-in offer, $9100, was +/- $1000 over KBB. Not bad. KBB shows retail at +/- $11700 and the dealer will probably take +/- $10700 for it. So, the dealer is going to make +/- $1600 on the trade-in and $500-$1000 on the new car. I understand it's a lot easier to trade a vehicle in vs selling it yourself but every body and their dog are looking for a clean, low mileage vehicle so that's why I try for a weekend or maybe even a week to sell it my self and put that $1600 in my pocket instead of the dealers. I'm not sure I consider 55,000 "low mileage" but I have seen ads touting that for far more miles - e.g. only 97,000 miles!". One issue, at least in Ohio, is that you get a sales tax break if you trade in your car rather than selling it yourself. Buy a $20,000 car you get taxed on $20,000. Buy a $20,000 car and have a $10,000 trade-in you get taxed on $10,000. At 6.75% that is $675. However, you can often overcome that burden - just sold a 2004 T&C for $11,500 that the dealer offered $7,000 in trade. [CarMax used car lot offered me $9,000 cash so obviously the dealer did not want my trade.]
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
tahoejeff

Post by tahoejeff »

not sure if my link will work, but here is our new toy in a picasa web album. http://picasaweb.google.com/ta...ZTK3M3/10ths of a mile from the dealership some kids were having fun on the wet roads, did a high speed U-turn, that turned into a 270º turn. i could have easily been putting in an early insurance claim.things i don't like:i really dislike the front grille on the newer vibes. i loved the front end of my '03. they took away the two part center console storage, now just one deep compartment.they took away the mesh storage bag on the back of the drivers seat.i frequently get to work when it's dark, and sit in my car to listen to some tunes. when i shut off the engine on my '03 the dome lights would come on, but i could use the dial to the left of the steering wheel to shut this off.i don't see this option on my '08. but i haven't read the manual yet.
slvrvibes

Re: (tahoejeff)

Post by slvrvibes »

Congrats on your 2nd vibe!$9,100 for an 03 sounds like a good trade-in.
genvibe garage
Baltovibe

Post by Baltovibe »

I am kind of curious why you traded in your 2003 Vibe that you had enjoyed with low mileage? Was there something you didn't like about your '03 Vibe? Maybe it wasn't loaded with features, that the '08 has?
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
tahoejeff

Re: picking up my second vibe monday (Baltovibe)

Post by tahoejeff »

to be honest, i don't really have an answer. we loved our '03, and it still worked fine.i guess we just wanted something new. as a vehicle ages, the mileage can quickly reduce it's value. if we had run it until 70-90,000 miles, we would not have gotten much for the trade.heading down to the car dealer, we brought our title, but didn't really plan on buying. we just wanted to know what the value of our '03 would be, and how much our payments would increase on a new one.once we viewed the new vibes, well...the rest is history.
djb383

Post by djb383 »

There's a very interesting article in the Oct. '07 issue of Consumers Report titled "Make your car last 200,000 miles - it's easy and can save you thousands in the long run". They also gave an example of keeping a vehicle for 15 years, rather than buying 3 in that time frame, and still have a decent vehicle plus almost $31 grand cash in the bank. Sweet!