Could you buy a large car/SUV after owning a Vibe?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
cs1992

Could you buy a large car/SUV after owning a Vibe?

Post by cs1992 »

Before buying a Vibe I was very concerned with it's smaller size. However, after owning this vehicle for more than a year, I am now convinced that smaller cars are the way to go (at least for me). Driving this car on a daily basis compared to my previous rides (trucks and larger sedans) is almost effortless. The maneuverability and gas mileage keep me from ever thinking about buying a larger car. I laugh at the SUV owners trying to manage their ways through parking lots as I zip in and out of spaces with this car. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I can do without the hassle of driving a super sized vehicle that spends half it's life at the gas pump. I realize that this car is not designed for a family of 5, but it suits my needs quite well. So well, that I can not ever imagine owning anything too much larger.
Raven

Re: Could you buy a large car/SUV after owning a Vibe? (cs1992)

Post by Raven »

I would definately buy a big SUV again if money was not a problem. A Cadillac EXT would actually be a lot more useful to me.
GrayFox

Re: Could you buy a large car/SUV after owning a Vibe? (Sunny)

Post by GrayFox »

I love small cars... I doubt I'll ever buy any kind of vehicle bigger than a midsize sedan. of course... I don't have that much stuff to haul either haha
Renthorin

Post by Renthorin »

Really apples to oranges. I am getting a vibe because of the economy and ability to carry "some" stuff...but it won't carry 8 people plus gear and tow my car trailer ;-)Suburbans rock!
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Never, ever, ever!
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
slvrvibes

Re: Could you buy a large car/SUV after owning a Vibe? (GMJAP)

Post by slvrvibes »

I've had an SUV in the past, although, sometimes I miss being up higher, I don't think I would go back. I have plenty of room in the vibe, I like how quickly I can get around in parking lots and I like not having to pay $$$ for gas.
genvibe garage
ZubenElGenubi

Re: Could you buy a large car/SUV after owning a Vibe? (slvrvibes)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

There are a handful of vehicles larger than the Vibe that I'd consider (Dodge Magnum, Acura RDX, 2008 Suburu Tribeca, Toyota RAV4), but I've been so pleased with my experience with the Vibe that I'll likely stick with a sports wagon or sedan for my next vehicle.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Never! The biggest I would get would be a midsized SUV like a Vue or Escape with a hybrid type engine that gets good gas mileage and get-up-and-go.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

i agree. if i did get another suv, it would be a mid-size...rdx, vue, etc. but wouldn't go to a full size. ever. i've had a subaru, fiat, vw gti...then jumped on the suv craze and had a rodeo for a few years.getting the vibe gave me pretty much the same space as the rodeo, and at least doubled my mpg and brought back the fun driving a good handling car. i think its the best of both worlds.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

If i could find a decent 60-72' Surburban, i'd be alllllllllllllll over it...
Tubaryan12

Post by Tubaryan12 »

yes, the day minivans get 35 mpg.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
kevera

Re: (Tubaryan12)

Post by kevera »

I wish I could get a larger vehicle.But my driveway is to narrow between my house and my neighbors,I only have a half a inch on either side,so a bigger vehicle is out of the question.Before I bought the Vibe,I took a test drive and told the sales dude that it had to fit down my driveway before I would buy it.You should have seen his face when I drove down my driveway,priceless.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
02csnow

Post by 02csnow »

I got rid of a pick up for the vibe. I dont think i go back to something bigger, one reason is the bad gas mileage.
Bye Bye Vibe.............
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

i wouldnt..im not a big suv/truck guy..i love vibe cause it's versitile and sporty
kevera

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by kevera »

Oooooh,Versatile.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

i've always loved the size and versatility of the Vibe. however, i don't like its lack of power, especially the AWD. i miss having a hatch style car, however, if i were to get an SUV type vehicle, it'd have to be a Trailblazer SS without a doubt! (no, not the Tribeca)
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
mcgusto82

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by mcgusto82 »

drive a bigger car for a while and then go back to the vibe. You'll feel cramped. Big time!
high revin

Post by high revin »

I traded a new Tahoe for my vibe and yes i miss the SUV not the fuel i was putting in it over $420 a month in fuel and now my family has grown really considering trading the wifes new mazda 5 for another bigger suv beause she drives less than a mile to work and mines about paid off so yeah they are great just that 60 gallon fuel cells suck big time
jwalcik

Post by jwalcik »

A few months back when I trashed my left ankle a few months back (soccer accident) and they told me I might not be able to drive my car comfortably anymore, I took a long hard look at both the Vue and the new Rav4. The only other vehicles I was looking at were small trucks. The Vibe has some fairly unique proportions that make it fit my needs more than most other vehicles in the same class. With the proportion of the miles that I put in every year shifting more heavily towards my motorcycle, I could offset the 20mpg or so that something a little bigger would get in the city with the 55+mpg I get on the bike.
2005 vibe gt
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

I've recently switched from a Vibe to a 93 Lexus LS400 (son driving Vibe).Good news - smooth, quiet, no rattles, better AC. Bad news - turning radius, parking and gas mileage (16 mpg around town, 21 highway).Next car will probably be smaller than the Lexus. I still like the overall Vibe package for style, versatility, handling and economy. And I don't really feel like I have much more interior room in the Lexus. I like the Vibe's high roof line and higher seats.
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
21Rouge

Re: (jimincalif)

Post by 21Rouge »

If I had to buy now...to replace my minivan...I would get the Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia. Great looking and great reviewed vehicles. I think GM got it right this time.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

I had two and no more! I can see them for towing/hauling things or a tribe of people but for commuting to work or running errands, no way. Since I do not tow or haul, not my kind of vehicle. My Jeep Compass or Jeep Patriot will be as close as I come to another SUV Truck.
808 Vibes

Re: Could you buy a large car/SUV after owning a Vibe? (MiVibe-ToolGuy)

Post by 808 Vibes »

+1 on the "NO WAY's!!" Tonight I made it home with LESS THAN 1/4 tank of gas. (about 21 miles or so from work to home) when I made it to the gas station, whew!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~