Got to drive an '09 Vibe today!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
IMakeVibes

Got to drive an '09 Vibe today!

Post by IMakeVibes »

Actually, its more like had to move the damn thing out of the way, it was blocking the road.I'm sure I'll get hated on for teasing here, but the only thing I can say about it is NICE!. No I can't give any details of it, provide pics, make a drawing, pm you any info. But I will say for those of you that like the current generation Vibe, you should like the next 'genVibe' even more. And what once was will soon be again.
djb383

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (IMakeVibes)

Post by djb383 »

Don't suppose there would be a V6 option for '09?
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
IMakeVibes

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (djb383)

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by djb383 »Don't suppose there would be a V6 option for '09? Quite honestly I don't know whats in store for engines. Not an area I work in. Although, even if I did, I obviously couldn't say.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

I know the newer 06 had the option to get the grills painted the color of the car, I just saw a red one with stock painted red grills in Virginia MN Wednesday. the 09..nice cant wai ttill the details are out.
NascarXprt

Re: (northvibe)

Post by NascarXprt »

do you have any clue as to when they will start releasing info or anydates for an unvailing? but yes i cant wait either
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »I know the newer 06 had the option to get the grills painted the color of the car, I just saw a red one with stock painted red grills in Virginia MN Wednesday. the 09..nice cant wai ttill the details are out.You sure about that? I never saw anything but black grills. Maybe someone painted their own grills - not that hard to do.
IMakeVibes

Re: (NascarXprt)

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by NascarXprt »do you have any clue as to when they will start releasing info or anydates for an unvailing? but yes i cant wait eitherI do not know for sure. That is something done by corporate marketing which is way above where I work. Just guessing by when we're shipping vehicles for that purpose, I would think September or October. But that is just an educated guess and nothing concrete.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by IMakeVibes ».....And what once was will soon be again. Could this be refering to the original front facia? or could it be the return of the cross bars on the roof rack? Or even better the return of the AWD & GT models?
Mavrik

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (zionzr2)

Post by Mavrik »

So you didn't even open the hood? lolIt should be more aggressive looking with an actual supercharged model IMO
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
IMakeVibes

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (Mavrik)

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »So you didn't even open the hood? lolIt should be more aggressive looking with an actual supercharged model IMODidn't want to touch it too much. Its one of the first complete ones we've built. Not sure what this ones for. It might just go outside and get torn down, or it may be slated to go to one of our parent companies for review or for marketing purposes. Actually shouldn't have driven it at all. But it was blocking the road and stopping me from getting where I had to go. Someone left it there running and I couldn't find them. If I could have, I would have had them move it. I went back the same way less than 5 minutes later and it was gone, so it wasn't there for long.Yes and no.
Raivis

Post by Raivis »

i hope they go back to the 03-04 look and not this bubble look
You got owned by a wagon..... Life is a sexually transmitted disease!!! check me out at http://www.myspace.com/raiviskysdad
IMakeVibes

Re: (Raivis)

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by Raivis »i hope they go back to the 03-04 look and not this bubble lookNo going back and no bubbles.
kostby

Post by kostby »

So there is no "2008 Vibe", then, they'll all be 2009's. Sort of like the "2003 Vibe" that came out in January 2002. If it worked for Hummer, it can work for Pontiac.

Attached files

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
IMakeVibes

Re: (kostby)

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by kostby »So there is no "2008 Vibe", then, they'll all be 2009's. Sort of like the "2003 Vibe" that came out in January 2002.We've been building '08s for the last four weeks or so. Not much change there, added tire pressure monitor as a standard feature I believe. Will be a short model run, only six months or so. '09 production for both Corolla and Vibe begins in January '08.I did just look at Pontiacs website. I see they don't yet have '08s in any model available yet. Maybe they're calling it an '07 1/2. Not sure what they're calling them or what they're doing with them, I just know we're making them and actually was involved in getting this minor model change set up. Just looked at Toyota's website and they are showing '08 Corollas. Wouldn't seem to make much sense that GM wouldn't want to call it an '08 Vibe. But now you've got me curious, I'll take a look on Monday. You'd figure I would know since I work there, but what the dealers or parent companies do with them or what they call them after they leave NUMMI is beyond anything we'd really know about.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: (IMakeVibes)

Post by NSimkins »

I've seen a bunch of 2008 stickered Vibes just recently at my area Pontiac dealers. They are definitely 2008.
Herb

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by IMakeVibes »And what once was will soon be again. Are we talking about the double compartment armrest center console with 12v connector?
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by IMakeVibes »You sure about that? I never saw anything but black grills. Maybe someone painted their own grills - not that hard to do. Actually I was at the dealer last month looking for a AWD vibe and right on the option list was "grill painted to factory color" so it is an option. And the people driving the vibe were old...so I dont think modding their car was something they would do. But yup that is a factory option now, i was surprised...
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »Actually I was at the dealer last month looking for a AWD vibe and right on the option list was "grill painted to factory color" so it is an option. And the people driving the vibe were old...so I dont think modding their car was something they would do. But yup that is a factory option now, i was surprised...Yep, surprising alright. Just one of the many things I don't know about what/how we do with the vehicles we build.
Toasted7

Post by Toasted7 »

Looking forward to any new info!!!
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
Digger

Post by Digger »

2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
GrayFox

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (Digger)

Post by GrayFox »

sorry digger... those pics have been out for quite some time. We havent's seen anything new on this since they came out.Thanks for the info IMakeVibes Can you at least tell us what color it was? hahaWas the interior different? I know you can't say much but can we do "yes or no" qustions?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

You are an evil, evil man for teasing us like that. A Lucky S.O.B.but still evil.
05 Base Vibe, Abyss (also known as Black to un-Vibers)Auto, Power Pkg, 16" alu, 20% tint all around, Black powder coated roof rails (the anodizing didn't last in the sun)Member of S.A.V.E. (Secret Association of Vibe Enthusisasts)
Whelan

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (Atomic)

Post by Whelan »

1) Take pics and sell them to people who do spy photos. 2) notify someone who is a spy photographer of when and where the car will be or near, they can do the rest.3) 4) I'm all about secrecy, that's fine, but I feel like this would be like me saying I got to drive each one of those cars I showed in the exotice pics thread with a different Hooters girl in each car feeding me wings and rub downs while I did it. But whose to say it didn't happen.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
NascarXprt

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (Whelan)

Post by NascarXprt »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »1) Take pics and sell them to people who do spy photos. 2) notify someone who is a spy photographer of when and where the car will be or near, they can do the rest.3) 4) I'm all about secrecy, that's fine, but I feel like this would be like me saying I got to drive each one of those cars I showed in the exotice pics thread with a different Hooters girl in each car feeding me wings and rub downs while I did it. But whose to say it didn't happen. (removed)!!! thats a good one whelan.IMakeVibes thanks givin us this little teaser . and yea can you answer yes or no ?'s ?
GrayFox

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (NascarXprt)

Post by GrayFox »

Quote, originally posted by NascarXprt »IMakeVibes thanks givin us this little teaser . and yea can you answer yes or no ?'s ?haha somehow I think the anwswer to that will be "maybe"
drunkenmaxx

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today!

Post by drunkenmaxx »

so, someone just left this top secret vehicle sitting around, with the keys in it... running?
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Sublimewind

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (drunkenmaxx)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »so, someone just left this top secret vehicle sitting around, with the keys in it... running?He is obviously talking about On-Site at NUMMI. many things like that happen i'm sure.. I know where i work, everything is propritary (top secret) but at the same time everything is laying around... It happens
VforVIBE

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (ANO_Vibe)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by ANO_Vibe »Can you at least tell us what color it was? hahaJust what I was wondering.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Wow, I leave for a day and this thread blows up.Starting where we left off, those pics that were posted on edmonds.com a while ago look like they are pretty close. The design looks similar, but, of course its hard to tell with it covered up like that.Concept is the same as we have gotten to know over the last 5 years, but it will be very updated. Some colors stay the same and others will be added. The one driven was of the first choice, but that shouldn't matter, as that was just by coincidence. As far as it being top secret, yea it is, to the outside world. Due to where I work, I obviously have inside information which I obviously can't share. We have made several already for different purposes, as well as Corollas. So yes, we do have a few around. This one just happened to be being moved to an inspection area which I was passing by and was blocking my way. Whoever was moving it obviously wasn't planning for it to be there long as they left it running. Yes, things like that do happen a lot around there. We turn out close to 1800 vehicles per day. Not every one ends up on a train or truck right away. And not every one ends up ever leaving the plant. Space is tight in the plant, especially right now with a lot of construction going on in preparation for model change, so space is at a premium. On top of that, we have hundreds of different delivery vehicles (forklifts, flatbeds, tugs, etc.) and people movers and a lot of contractors in the building with their vehicles. Organized chaos, at best, is what it is right now. As far as selling spy pics or insider information goes, I'm not even going to touch that because thats just dumb. I didn't purposely mean for this post to be a tease, but obviously knew it would be because of what little can be said. Believe me, I'd love to tell you what it looks like, whats been changed, what options it comes with and even share a few pics. But, am I willing to risk my job and possible legal ramifications from GM to gratify any of you on here? NO! So you're just going to have to wait. But, I do believe most will think the wait was worth it. Sure, if I can share something on here, I will. If you want to ask questions, feel free. If I can answer I will, if I can't I wont. I've obviously answered some on here, dodged others and completely ignored others, all on purpose. Trust me, I think most of you will approve, but you're just going to have to wait!
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

haha that's cool thanks for the info none-the-less
Toasted7

Post by Toasted7 »

We appreciate any and all "extra" info... and I understand you completely. I wouldn't put my job on the line for stuff like that either. Whatever you can tell us is great, if you can't... that is great too. It is kind of a tease though... haha!
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

i too appreciate what your doing and taking careful tought on what you chosse say and share with us. i agree with you 100% .
vibebuilder

Re: (NSimkins)

Post by vibebuilder »

Quote, originally posted by NSimkins »I've seen a bunch of 2008 stickered Vibes just recently at my area Pontiac dealers. They are definitely 2008. LOLI'm working on the new model vibe project and the whole time I thought the major model change was for the 2008. I have to come to this forum to figure out whats going on at work.Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »I know where i work, everything is propritary (top secret) but at the same time everything is laying around...We've left whole bumpers laying outside. Some people just don't realize that there are people that will hike through the bushes with a long lens just to snap a picture of stuff like that.
Herb

Re: (vibebuilder)

Post by Herb »

Wow, bumper paparazzi! Who'd have thought? Quote, originally posted by vibebuilder »We've left whole bumpers laying outside. Some people just don't realize that there are people that will hike through the bushes with a long lens just to snap a picture of stuff like that.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

So, do you like the new Vibe better than the current one?
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
RIT

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (K-NINE)

Post by RIT »

I'm guessing a return to the AWD option. That would, sort of, justify still having a Vibe in the Pontiac Family assuming that their charter is to switch the Pontiac line over to RWD. Can you comment on whether or not the vehicle will be larger in length that the current Vibe. I'm still looking for another 6" in length, and if I'll either do it through a vehicle or alternative means. Of course, i'm talking about belt-size as the alternative, you dirty minds!My other vehicle choice is the "new" Honda CRV. However, that wouldn't allow me to use up my GM credit card earnings !
mkaresh

Post by mkaresh »

I'd say three things are certain:1. Larger2. Heavier3. More powerfulMy best guess is that the intro will be at the LA show, which is late December or early January.
http://www.truedelta.comMore useful vehicle reliability researchVehicle price comparisons, quick and thorough
Brad

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (RIT)

Post by Brad »

Quote, originally posted by RIT »My other vehicle choice is the "new" Honda CRV. However, that wouldn't allow me to use up my GM credit card earnings !My wife and I had the CRV on our list and had test driven several of them. They are very nice, however quite expensive and the dealers are quite proud of them. The MOST we could get off sticker was $300 and that was on a $29,000 vehicle! By the time tax and tags were figured in, we were way over $30,000 (almost $31,000!!) for one "loaded out". Beyond my budget at this time. And like you said...they won't accept my GM credit card dollars.
Brad. '08 Vibe on order as of 7-9-07. Finally delivered 10-9-07. Frosty, 5 speed. 35% tint, Pontiac exhaust tip, Pontiac all weather mats, Scan Gauge, clear bra.
4X4CHICHI

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (Brad)

Post by 4X4CHICHI »

can't wait , man.
2004 FUSION ORANGE VIBE GT200 Watt CD & XM radio, Tinted windows17" Black Casino'sSilverstars Head and Fog, Injen C.A.I.http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/453424
Whelan

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (4X4CHICHI)

Post by Whelan »

No disrespect meant Imakevibes, purely adding a little comedy to the thread. I'm glad that you are giving us the bits and pieces as they come. It just builds excitement to see the redesign for this and the Trix.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
IMakeVibes

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (K-NINE)

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »So, do you like the new Vibe better than the current one?The 15 or so seconds I was in it purely wasn't enough time to like or dislike it. As far as all our vehicles go, they are all nice, but they wouldn't be my first choice in a vehicle to own. If I had a specific purpose, like a new 4wd vehicle thats great on gas or an economical sedan or a pickup, then yea, I would consider them, along with others. So, since I am fairly neutral on the subject, I wouldn't be the right person to judge. But like I said in the first post, the new ones are definitely nice with an updated fresh look.
IMakeVibes

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (RIT)

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by RIT »I'm guessing a return to the AWD option. That would, sort of, justify still having a Vibe in the Pontiac Family assuming that their charter is to switch the Pontiac line over to RWD. Can you comment on whether or not the vehicle will be larger in length that the current Vibe. I'm still looking for another 6" in length, and if I'll either do it through a vehicle or alternative means. Of course, i'm talking about belt-size as the alternative, you dirty minds!My other vehicle choice is the "new" Honda CRV. However, that wouldn't allow me to use up my GM credit card earnings !Far as I know, the story with AWD was that it would be gone for a couple of years and return for the next major model change. So, I would say that is a good guess. I don't know size specs. Its close to current, but don't know exactly.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Minor thread hijack:The company I work for as a machine designer just got a purchase order from NUMMI for four pieces of equipment for door assemblies (prior to the skin) that will need to be installed and setup on site, delivery is apparently due mid-September.Since I'm the newest guy, I won't get any major part of the design work, or even the chance to go there."But I drive a VIBE! I have a current passport! I'm ready to go!"Does that seem too whiny?
05 Base Vibe, Abyss (also known as Black to un-Vibers)Auto, Power Pkg, 16" alu, 20% tint all around, Black powder coated roof rails (the anodizing didn't last in the sun)Member of S.A.V.E. (Secret Association of Vibe Enthusisasts)
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

I can't wait to see the '09 Vibe - hopefully sooner rather than later as I'm thinking I will trade in either end of this year or sometime next year and an '09 Vibe I might consider. Right now I'm leaning towards a Torrent...
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by Atomic »Minor thread hijack:The company I work for as a machine designer just got a purchase order from NUMMI for four pieces of equipment for door assemblies (prior to the skin) that will need to be installed and setup on site, delivery is apparently due mid-September.Since I'm the newest guy, I won't get any major part of the design work, or even the chance to go there."But I drive a VIBE! I have a current passport! I'm ready to go!"Does that seem too whiny? Door assembly prior being married to the skin? Like something for a door inner assembly?And I assume four represent one for each door. Are they common or are they model specific?
vibebuilder

Post by vibebuilder »

Quote, originally posted by IMakeVibes »Door assembly prior being married to the skin? Like something for a door inner assembly?And I assume four represent one for each door. Are they common or are they model specific? Is it some kind of spot welding equipment? There are a bunch of brakets that get welded on proir to the inners getting hemmed to the outers. Safety bar, reinforcment plates,etc. There are also robots that apply the glue prior to hemming.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

OK, just snooped and found out.Four Manipulators with End Effectors for lifting and assisting the placing of the doors (Corolla and Vibe) onto the outer door skins.They are all manually operated, (no robots) you must have a bunch of these kinds of things in there already, for lifting and placing the wheels, seats, IPs etc.We supply stuff like this already to TMMC in Ontario, and a bunch of others.This isn't going to cause any grief in there is it?
ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Quote, originally posted by IMakeVibes »Sure, if I can share something on here, I will. If you want to ask questions, feel free. If I can answer I will, if I can't I wont. I've obviously answered some on here, dodged others and completely ignored others, all on purpose. Trust me, I think most of you will approve, but you're just going to have to wait! Okay, simple question that shouldn't get anyone in trouble:Do you think it is larger than the current model?
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by Atomic »OK, just snooped and found out.Four Manipulators with End Effectors for lifting and assisting the placing of the doors (Corolla and Vibe) onto the outer door skins.They are all manually operated, (no robots) you must have a bunch of these kinds of things in there already, for lifting and placing the wheels, seats, IPs etc.We supply stuff like this already to TMMC in Ontario, and a bunch of others.This isn't going to cause any grief in there is it?Hmm, sounds like something for body shop. Maybe one of the engineers wanted that as most of the other equipment coming from Japan is on-site and being istalled. If anything, should eliminate some defects from when the inner is loaded into the outer.Why would it cause grief? Not too many people in there know or even care where equipment comes from. As long as it works and if this works, it sounds like it may make our jobs easier. Heck, I'm all for that. This their first order for NUMMI? We usually contract stuff like that out locally. And then the big stuff comes from Kentucky.
IMakeVibes

Re: Got to drive an '09 Vibe today! (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by ZubenElGenubi »Okay, simple question that shouldn't get anyone in trouble:Do you think it is larger than the current model?I really don't know. Its close in size. I'm sure its not exact, but any change in size is minimal either way.