New to genvibe, but need opinions please...

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
ehoff121

New to genvibe, but need opinions please...

Post by ehoff121 »

Hi, all.I just purchased a used '05 AWD Vibe from a non-GM dealer 600 miles away. I had an inspection service check the car out and, other than two years and 24,000 miles worth of wear and tear, it was in decent shape with a clean carfax report. The main reason I bought the car (from a listing on Autotrader.com) is that it was supposed to have AWD, OnStar, and side airbags. I asked the dealer and the inspection service to verify those options, especially the side airbags. Both came back and said the Vibe had them (in writing). The Vibe was delivered last weekend, but I didn't see the SRS emblem on the seat. I called Pontiac customer service and, based on the VIN, they confirmed that this Vibe doesn't have side airbags.I called the salesman at the dealership and he seemed genuinely upset, but I haven't heard back from him since he wanted to ask his manager what they could do and it was the weekend.This car would be my daily commuter (the '96 Camry died two weeks ago) and, other than my wife's car which she needs for the kids, I would have to find another option to get around while I look for another car if I send the Vibe back.What would you do with this Vibe? Would you send it back to the dealer on their dime? Would you keep it? If you would keep it, would you try to get compensation from the dealer?Thanks in advance for your opinions!
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

personally i'd keep it..it's just side impact bags in my opinion..i'd just ask for a bit of money back for something you've payed for and it never had
GrayFox

Re: (RedFire2K)

Post by GrayFox »

welcome! I'd go with compensation from the dealer unless not having the air-bags makes you uneasy
BlueCrush

Re: New to genvibe, but need opinions please... (ehoff121)

Post by BlueCrush »

I would either have them take it back and find you a new one with those options they said it would have with similar mileage and color or just keep it and have them compensate you for those missing items that they promised in writing were there. Choose which ever option works best for you.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I'd talk to a local Pontiac dealer and find out how much it would be to have that option installed (IE change out the seats, install sensors, reprogram computer). Then have the dealer you purchased it from give you that much money (including taxes).
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
n2ho

Post by n2ho »

I would keep the car if you like it and it doesn't have other hidden problems you discovered. Of course they should compensate you for the option they didn't deliver but you've paid for. Having in writing their statement that car has side airbags is a big plus IMO.
AKLGT

Re: (Jeremy96gase)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Jeremy96gase »I'd talk to a local Pontiac dealer and find out how much it would be to have that option installed (IE change out the seats, install sensors, reprogram computer). Then have the dealer you purchased it from give you that much money (including taxes). what he said. or return it back to the dealer for false representation.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
mcgusto82

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by mcgusto82 »

apparently you really want side airbags. Take it back man. One of the reason why i traded my vibe. Now a days you want all the safety you can have. Also do a littl research, as the first offered side airbags for the vibe were only seat mounted airbags. You really want head curtain airbags to make things worth the trouble. The 07 are curtain bags for sure.
ehoff121

Re: New to genvibe, but need opinions please...

Post by ehoff121 »

The inspection company, CarChex agreed to refund my $99 inspection fee. Hope to see it soon...Dealership has still not made an offer, although the salesman offered to get me a new key and transmitter set out of his own pocket.
mastamatt16

Post by mastamatt16 »

i agree with redfire on this one
mods so far:GM spoilerGM exaust tipRed Neon on insideType S Shift Knob(red neon) my garage: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=26807
ehoff121

Re: New to genvibe, but need opinions please... new twist!

Post by ehoff121 »

So I finally had a chance to really go over the Vibe, under the hood, etc.It looks like it was in a minor fender bender a while back. There's a crease in the upper portion of the radiator support (it's rusted) and a scuff on the headlight cover the size of a quarter. The bumper cover looks like it was repainted underneath the headlight. The bumper cover doesn't line up with the quarter panel like the other side.Pics here: http://homepage.mac.com/ehoff121/PhotoAlbum15.htmlI don't expect a used car to be perfect, but I'm getting a bad feeling about this deal...
kevera

Re: New to genvibe, but need opinions please... new twist! (ehoff121)

Post by kevera »

I would run far away from this one.Can you get out of the deal now.I would keep looking,just my 2 cents.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
ajflan

Re: New to genvibe, but need opinions please... new twist! (kevera)

Post by ajflan »

I agree with Kevera on this one. It sounds like you are getting ripped off.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
ehoff121

Re: New to genvibe, but need opinions please... update

Post by ehoff121 »

Brought the Vibe to a local Pontiac dealer this morning. A good experience, overall. The mechanic who looked over the car told me his wife had a Vibe and he had visited genvibe.com (!) so I knew I was in good hands...Everything else on the car checked out. The tech confirmed that no frame damage was evident and that the car seemed in great shape other than the front bumper paint chips and the crease in the radiator support. He also gave me two copies of the RPO code descriptions for the items installed on my Vibe. (Thanks, Walt!)I spoke to the sales manager a little while ago and he said he'd get back to me with the value of the side airbags.
melders

Re: New to genvibe, but need opinions please... new twist! (kevera)

Post by melders »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »I would run far away from this one.Can you get out of the deal now.I would keep looking,just my 2 cents.im with kevera...that is false advertisement, saying that it has something, but it dont
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT - Jet Black Metallic
new05vibeowner

Post by new05vibeowner »

With the missing side airbags and the apparent damage to the front, I'd return this car ASAP to the selling dealer.If you do decide to keep it, you'll be the one explaining to the next owner why there's damage under the hood.
Mods: 04 center armrest, 04 Matrix AM/FM/CD/Cassette, Electrochromatic rear view mirror w/compass, GM hood protector, Ventvisors on doors and moonroof, one-touch close moonroof. added 12v outlet in console, Goodyear TripleTred tires, Sirius satellite radio.
ZubenElGenubi

Re: New to genvibe, but need opinions please... (new05vibeowner)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Wow...lots of screw ups on this one.CarChex doesn't sound like they have their act together. Get that $99 back as fast as you can.Side airbags are a $745 option on new Vibes. Edmunds shows a value of $184 for side airbags. Kelly Blue Book shows no price difference for the side airbags (wierd).If you really want the side airbags, I'd return the vehicle entirely, and ask them to find another AWD Vibe with the features you're looking for. I wouldn't ask for SRS seats to be installed. You may need to give them some time to do this.
feelin'thevibe

Re: New to genvibe, but need opinions please... (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by feelin'thevibe »

The vehicle report places only show what has been reported. I have found it at least one other time were the report was fine but damage from a previous wreck was found.
03 Neptune Vibe, base 5speed. ModsSLP ram air hoodTrd shift knobVoltz conversion