anyone had their dealer ask to buy their Vibe BACK from them?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
MrDoopey

anyone had their dealer ask to buy their Vibe BACK from them?

Post by MrDoopey »

I got a weird call today. I now officially have 2 months worth of payments to go before my 2003 stock vibe is officially PAID FO' !!!!!But I digress...my dealer called me and told me they were "in the market" for vibes, and were wondering if I would be interested in them "buyin back" my vibe. Has anyone else out there had a similar call? Are Vibes that much in demand that I can get a better-than-market price for mine? Or is this a sales ploy.....to get me to trade my precious vibe for a new vehicle?It seems like the latter, since they were going to enter me in the new GM contest they got runnin.... Anyway, I will see what they offer me for my 70,000km driven, 2003 no-problem-o vibe and let ya'll knowBy the way, I don't plan to give up my favourite car.....they would have to give me some sort of AMAZING deal for me to give up my vibe! I am just curious as to what they will offer me for my car, and if this is legit....or a sales ploy to get me to look at "re-investing" in the mighty GM
MrDoopey 2003 base model, two-tone abyss, automatic, with power package, 6 speaker package
ColonelPanic

Re: anyone had their dealer ask to buy their Vibe BACK from them? (MrDoopey)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'm sure that the number of Vibes currently out there in the used market is sufficient for the demand. There's no shortage of Vibes, and apparently there isn't a shortage from sleazebag dealers too! Check out what joatmon was offered previously: http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...58832 "We'd LOVE to take your Pontiac off your hands, but don't expect another GM product to replace it! Here, have a VW!" I haven't bought many cars in my lifetime, but I do know one thing: They don't want my car or any car on trade. Doesn't matter what it is, they'd rather not deal with it. So I have to be a tiny bit skeptical of a dealer when they go through all that trouble to look up what I'm driving and create custom pieces of junk mail or take the time to call in an attempt to contact me to let me know they want my car.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
MrDoopey

Re: anyone had their dealer ask to buy their Vibe BACK from them? (ColonelPanic)

Post by MrDoopey »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »So I have to be a tiny bit skeptical of a dealer when they go through all that trouble to look up what I'm driving and create custom pieces of junk mail or take the time to call in an attempt to contact me to let me know they want my car. I know...That is my main concern too. But they knew exactly how many more payments I had to make, my options.....the whole story. They did their homework! heheheJoatmon's topic was very interesting, but the person who called me up didn't even mention any other cars for sale...VW or not.
MrDoopey 2003 base model, two-tone abyss, automatic, with power package, 6 speaker package
mcgusto82

Post by mcgusto82 »

hey, give them a try. maybe they can put you in a new solstice.
Sputnik

Re: anyone had their dealer ask to buy their Vibe BACK from them? (mcgusto82)

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by mcgusto82 »hey, give them a try. maybe they can put you in a new solstice.I'm sure they'd try to put him in whatever he wanted if it meant a sale for them.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
Houston

Post by Houston »

My dealer called out of the blue a couple weeks ago and offered me $9500 for my 2003 Base Vibe. I declined and he asked me what it would take to get me to sell it. I told him I love this car and it isn't for sale, but I did tell him I'd give it to him as an even trade for a new one. He laughed and that was that.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

It is a sales ploy to get you into the dealership. The dealer we bought my wife's camaro from tried that one on us about 2 yrs ago. We didn't bite.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

wish my old dealership would buy back my sunfire..lol..but..then i'd be in dream world..
djb383

Post by djb383 »

New car dealerships will get orgasmic over a late model, low mileage, clean used vehicle 'cause the profit margin, for the dealer, is substantially higher on a used vehicle than a new one. Its easier to re-sell the used car vs new 'cause it's more affordable to a buyer than a new car. Dealerships buy hundreds of thousands of late model used vehicles at auctions each year at very low prices. In general, the first ? a salesperson asks a prospective buyer is 'what do you have for a trade'? If your the least bit interested in a new(er) vehicle, go in with yours guns loaded and know what your trade is worth. Look at NADA, KBB or Edmonds and you will see several thousand dollars difference between trade-in value and retail. If the dealer is offering you closer to retail (which I doubt) than trade, it maybe worth looking into.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
808 Vibes

Re: anyone had their dealer ask to buy their Vibe BACK from them? (djb383)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Sounds like a ploy to me too. I doubt my dealer will want to talk to me again-I sent in the survey saying I LOVE this car, but I would NOT do business with the dealer again. Finance dep't was what made the buying experience traumatic. There's a reason why I don't buy cars very often!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
Mavrik

Re: anyone had their dealer ask to buy their Vibe BACK from them? (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by Mavrik »

GM is doing what Subaru has been doing for a while now I imagine. They have towards the end of the year a "guaranteed buy back program" were they will basicly buy your 3-4 year old car back at a great trade in rate basically and put you into a new Subaru. It has two purposes really... one to sell you a new car again and keep you as a repeating customer. And two because the market for used subarus anyway is pretty high (in certain states) Your dealer probably called you knowing your car was about paid for and wanted to put you into a new one and take your old one off your hands. They win both ways
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
MrDoopey

Post by MrDoopey »

thanks for your help everyone!I might try what you did Houston....hehehehe
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

Just say no. Keep your Vibe another 3-4 years, save what you've been making in car payments and put it in the bank every month. Instead of paying someone else interest, you earn interest. In 4 years you can buy a car for cash.Happiness is no car payments!
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
djb383

Re: (jimincalif)

Post by djb383 »

Quote, originally posted by jimincalif »Just say no. Keep your Vibe another 3-4 years, save what you've been making in car payments and put it in the bank every month. Instead of paying someone else interest, you earn interest. In 4 years you can buy a car for cash.Happiness is no car payments!Absolutely the best advice here.You will be surprised at how much cash talks. Here's what works for me. We all know the dealer has to make a fair profit, nothing wrong with that. Personally, I think $500, or less, is fair dealer profit. I do my homework and determine what my trade is worth and what the new(er) car is worth. Take the difference between the two, add 7% for TT&L (Texas), then add $500 to that. Once I have that figure that is my top dollar offer. To show the dealer that I am serious, I pull out a blank check and make the check payable to the dealership for that amount and date it. I DO NOT sign the check and hand it to the salesperson and say "this is my drive out offer and if you are willing to accept it, I'll sign the check". At that point the salesperson says I'll have to get my managers approval. I tell the salesperson that is "my final and only offer" and to pass that info along to the manager. They always come back and say they can't accept my offer 'cause if they did, they would lose money. I tell them that I understand and certainly wouldn't want them to lose any money. I get my check back, thank them for their time and say "you've got my name and number" and I head for the front door.Of the last 8 vehicles (new & used) I've bought, 4 of the deals were accepted before I got to the front door, 2 of the deals were accepted before I got to my car, 1 called me back the same day to accept and 1 called 2 days later to accept. It works........cash talks.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
808 Vibes

Re: (jimincalif)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Quote, originally posted by jimincalif »Just say no.Happiness is no car payments!Yeah!!!!!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Never recieved a call, but with both my Grand Am and Vibe (both bought at the same dealer) I got a few letters saying that people are looking for good, used vehicles. The Vibe is too good of a car to trade in, plus no payments is the best payments.
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
redlava

Re: anyone had their dealer ask to buy their Vibe BACK from them? (DopeVibeGT)

Post by redlava »

I usually receive a letter ever year stating "Our dealership is looking for quality used Vibes, come in and we will give you a good trade in deal if you buy a new car from us."