Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Robert G

Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe

Post by Robert G »

Sorry if this is a repost. "Spy photographers have snapped some photos of the 2008 Pontiac Vibe. While similar in size to the current Pontiac Vibe, the new model has a more slanted windshield and rear window. The beltline is higher, resulting in shorter side windows, and the overall stance looks lower. . . ." http://www.leftlanenews.com/20...vibe/
drunkenmaxx

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (Robert G)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

looks kind of like my maxx boinked a calibur.expect this thread to explode!
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

BOOM!It looks like the Vibe lives on!
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

The vibe has been available since Jan 2001? Interesting since I couldn't buy one until 2002.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
Kari

Post by Kari »

Looks interesting...I'm wondering if that "thing" on the back over the window is part of its "disguise" and not part of the car. I think that's what makes it look like a Caliber or Maxx. It almost looks like some sort of wing-ish sunshade. And reminiscent of the Aztek. I think the big question here is...is this still a Toyota? Or is it now a "real" GM vehicle?
GenVibe Global Moderator
Sputnik

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (Kari)

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »Looks interesting...I'm wondering if that "thing" on the back over the window is part of its "disguise" and not part of the car. I think that's what makes it look like a Caliber or Maxx. It almost looks like some sort of wing-ish sunshade. And reminiscent of the Aztek. Exactly what I was thinking. I decided its gotta be part of the disguise since who would buy a vehicle when they can't see out the back window?
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
Kari

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (Sputnik)

Post by Kari »

Yeah, it definitely obstructs the rear view. Plus the taillights and the back bumper look like they're covered by cardboard. I can only hope they aren't that boxy in real life. The front end looks good...but I'm not feelin' the back.
GenVibe Global Moderator
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

the whole car is covered in cardboard so it wont look like the caliber it does in those pics. i like the side skirts though!
drunkenmaxx

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (Kari)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

i'm saying use your imagination to pretend the thingy on the back isn't there, you can see how much the back windshield slopes, compare it to my sig.here is a quick and dirty photoshop of a tinted window instead of the disguise over the back window.

305798=10863-dirtychop.jpg
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Yeah it looks like less headroom. Back end looks like the Caliber or Malibu Maxx. Option for roof rack or not. Interested to see the rest of it.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
NascarXprt

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (BlueCrush)

Post by NascarXprt »

it looks like they went back to the recesed grill and i LOVE those alloys!!!! in the pic DM posted it looks Sharp i cant wait to see it with out all that carboard crap.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
SeattleJeremy

2008 Vibe/Matrix Test mule out and about.

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Edmunds thinks it's the new Vibe.http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/1623 Autoblog seems to think this is the next Matrix.http://www.autoblog.com/2006/1...atrix/Either way it's good to see some R and D going in to the Platform.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Mavrik

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (NascarXprt)

Post by Mavrik »

Looks good but I won't be buying one... most likely trading or selling the Vibe for an STi... if I can't afford both.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

The grill doesn't look recessed to me. That's just all the cardboard crap taped over the front end.It's hard to make much judgement with so much covered up. But on the overall shape, based on the guys sitting in it, it doesn't look like less head room. Don't like the slanted back - makes it harder to fit bulky stuff. Then again, it may make it look less "minivanish".
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
ajflan

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (GMJAP)

Post by ajflan »

Long live the Vibe!!
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
NascarXprt

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (GMJAP)

Post by NascarXprt »

if you look alittle closer it seems pushed back "recesed" from where it is presently. and i was looking under the cardboard.
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

hard to tell but so far i like it
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

i'll put my 2 cents in and say that there is little to barely any change from the current 2006 vibe. i agree the back hatch looks a little more like the max, the front may have that 'swept back' look like that new suzuki, but generally it's some more lipstick and a bit of blush. no silicon plastic surgery here folks.
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
Mavrik

Re: (Atomb)

Post by Mavrik »

Either the pic is mirrored or I am seeing a big change... the exhaust pipe is coming out the right side instead of the left.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
SeattleJeremy

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »Either the pic is mirrored or I am seeing a big change... the exhaust pipe is coming out the right side instead of the left.Haw, I just saw that too. It looks like its right, because of where the driver/sterring wheel is.
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »or I am seeing a big change...It is supposed to be a redesign, ya know.
NewNeptune

Post by NewNeptune »

*drool*Looks nice! If you look at this pic:http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp...idi=4It doesn't look like they went back to the inset grille. I think the smooth look is much nicer. Also, look at this pic:http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp...idi=2The dashboard is definitely changed. There is something shiny up top in the center stack. And I don't see the huge circular vents that the current one has.
2006 Pontiac Vibe Base, Automatic, Power PackageSony CDX-GT300Upgraded Horns
GrayFox

Re: (NewNeptune)

Post by GrayFox »

Quote, originally posted by From The Article »...indicating that this is a high-performance sports modelGXP? Anyone else notice that one of them has roof-racks and the other doesn't. Maybe the racks will be optional? another slight difference I notice is that they've changed the headlights to have high/low beams in seperate bulbs. The front end (as far as I can tell) has alot of similarities to the current 05 design... sort of
jwalcik

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (drunkenmaxx)

Post by jwalcik »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »i'm saying use your imagination to pretend the thingy on the back isn't there, you can see how much the back windshield slopes, compare it to my sig.here is a quick and dirty photoshop of a tinted window instead of the disguise over the back window.ack. that rear end looks way too much like the aztek.
2005 vibe gt
Mavrik

Re: (ANO_Vibe)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by ANO_Vibe »It is supposed to be a redesign, ya know. Well they did something if you look at the pic... our exhaust runs down the right side, bends past the rear axle, turns to the left into the muffler and then bends to come out at the left side of the rear bumper. that pic shows all that but opposite.
ragingfish

Re: (NewNeptune)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by NewNeptune »The dashboard is definitely changed. There is something shiny up top in the center stack. And I don't see the huge circular vents that the current one has. I'm not sure about that.From my perspective I think all you see is the silver colored trim on the radio stack...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
GMJAP

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »I'm not sure about that.From my perspective I think all you see is the silver colored trim on the radio stack...I would tend to agree with raging.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
NewNeptune

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by NewNeptune »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »I'm not sure about that.From my perspective I think all you see is the silver colored trim on the radio stack...Take a look at this one:http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp...idi=5You're right, it is silver colored trim. And I do see the big vents, but looking to the right, I don't see the emergency flashers button.
2006 Pontiac Vibe Base, Automatic, Power PackageSony CDX-GT300Upgraded Horns
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »...that pic shows all that but opposite.Maybe they switched from the sideways muffler to one that runs parrallel to the car? or just turned everything around for some reason...This is probably irrelevant but the Vibe GT-R's exhaust exited on the right, alsoabout the gauges the only differences that I see is the hazard button is gone and it looks like they put a larger overhang above the gauges, probably b/c of all the complaints about not being able to see them well in direct light.
Mavrik

Re: (ANO_Vibe)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by ANO_Vibe »Maybe they switched from the sideways muffler to one that runs parrallel to the car? or just turned everything around for some reason...This is probably irrelevant but the Vibe GT-R's exhaust exited on the right, alsoabout the gauges the only differences that I see is the hazard button is gone and it looks like they put a larger overhang above the gauges, probably b/c of all the complaints about not being able to see them well in direct light.no you can see the muffler is the same as our current ones... only flipped around.
jake75

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (jwalcik)

Post by jake75 »

It seems like it is just change for the sake of change. I'd be happier if they would just keep the same body design, improve the technology/mechanicals, and pass the savings on to the buyers.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
BLAQJAQ

Post by BLAQJAQ »

hmm I think that what we are seeing is actually two different test mules the one with the roof rack...is a vibe..one without a Matrix... remeber the cars are built bya joint effort (NUNNI)..I would venture a guess that pontiac is going to try and and more of a Japanese look to the Vibe (front end..and keep a bit of North american flare...Maxx rear end).The Matrix is probably going to have a more Vibe aggressive front end....that joint effort thing could potentially ruin a great looking car for a basterdized AZtek Vibe thing...I hope not...
- VORTECH SUPERCHARGER- GREDDY E-MANAGE BLUE- MSD IGNITION MAP SENSOR- RSM RACING CUSTOM FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE - RSM RACING CUSTOM CAT BACK EXHAUST - RSM RACING CUSTOM BIG BRAKE KIT- B&G LOWERING SPRINGS - ENKEI 18" RSV GUN METAL ROLLERS MACHINED LIP - SIRIUS SATTELLITE RADIO- ALPINE IVA-W200 2-DIN DVD/CD/AV Head Unit - ALPINE REAR FLIP DOWN MONITOR
Mrizzle05

Re: (BLAQJAQ)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

so... vibe + azteck + malibu maxx= VIBTECKABU???
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
Kari

Post by Kari »

The back end doesn't really look like a Maxx or a Caliber, I'm thinking. The weird sunshade thing is just cardboard and part of the "disguise" and the rear end is almost entirely covered by cardboard which further boxes it off. Those are the elements that are making it look like the Maxx. From the few body contours you can see, it doesn't seem to be much different from the current shape.
GenVibe Global Moderator
drunkenmaxx

Re: (Kari)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

keep in mind, the rear window is said to be slanted, which would make it definitely more maxx like.
ashleymc_38

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (jake75)

Post by ashleymc_38 »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »It seems like it is just change for the sake of change. I'd be happier if they would just keep the same body design, improve the technology/mechanicals, and pass the savings on to the buyers. I do agree with you here but to a certain extent. I read the post that someone made that possibly the Vibe will be phased out by the end of the decade so maybe they are trying to design it different to catch "the peoples eye" and hope to boost sales. If you have something that crosses the Aztek, the Matrix and the Malibu though, i dont think you are going to boost to many sales with that design. Heres a part of an article I just read on the Aztek "The Pontiac Aztek, a vehicle with extreme features aimed at a young audience, was ridiculed in the press. Since General Motors introduced the Aztek in the summer of 2000, its abysmal sales (half of projections) contributed to GM temporarily shutting down a production line. At a time when the U.S. appetite for sport-utility vehicles was enormous, the Aztek sold poorly because it did not offer value to its target audience. Shoddy construction, bizarre styling, and a price tag that put it out of reach of the very buyers it seemed to be courting all contributed to its failure. Clearly, the product as it was released did not tie to customer requirements." So if they are lookin for an Aztek style, it seems it needs to go.As a Vibe owner, I would love to see them stick with more of the orginal style and not make too many dramatic changes but I understand that yes they need to boost sales. But like you said, if they changed the technology and all aspects in regards to that, I think that the car would be more appealing to consumers who are especially looking for something to improve on gas miles.
drunkenmaxx

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (ashleymc_38)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

the biggest change they need to make IMO is the sissy (no offense 05+ owners) front end. they also need to change to an engine with more low end power and more torque throughout.
Mrizzle05

Post by Mrizzle05 »

+ 1 on that... i think the front end makes it look like a lil granny car.If the 05's came stock with the sports package front bumper.... THEN it would look a lot better
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
ajflan

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (Mrizzle05)

Post by ajflan »

The engine could definitly use some more grunt.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
ashleymc_38

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (ajflan)

Post by ashleymc_38 »

Quote, originally posted by ajflan »The engine could definitly use some more grunt.haha...i feel you on that one. I feel like the people behind me are going to run me over on the road sometimes..lol.
Mavrik

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (ajflan)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by ajflan »The engine could definitly use some more grunt.265HP should do the trick with a stock turbo under the hood.
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

i have to disagree cause both have the same looking front end and rear end the only diff. i see is the body extensions, wheels, and roof rack.
GrayFox

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (Mavrik)

Post by GrayFox »

Mav, lol! right. Maybe GM will do the right thing and put the turbo ecotec from the Solstice GXP in it
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

yeah, but then you'll have wheel hop/tq steer.
ashleymc_38

Post by ashleymc_38 »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »265HP should do the trick with a stock turbo under the hood. See, now why isn't anyone suggesting these ideas to GM? lol
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

I see it has a Mich plate. I have not seen one yet but will keep my eyes open.
GMJAP

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by GMJAP »

Tossing out $0.06Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »keep in mind, the rear window is said to be slanted, which would make it definitely more maxx like.Here's a comaprison of the rear window slant. Less than I originally thought - somewhere between the current Vibe and a Maxx(yes, that's D-Maxx)I think it looks so Aztec-ey from the disguise cardboard and tape. I think you'll find it loses that when we get to see the actual bodywork.Finally, I wouldn't want them to add more OOMPH unless it's an option (like the GT)! I like my mileage, and would rather see them improve that in the base.

306040=10867-slants.JPG
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »yeah, but then you'll have wheel hop/tq steer. I have wheel hop now! (in the rain)A little more HP would be a great thing, but the more power they add the more gas the car will drink. I hopue they don't add too mch weight to it. If the Next Base Vibe is rated 140HP, with about 30/35 gas millage estamets, and not look too much like the Aztec, it will be winner.
drunkenmaxx

Re: Left Lane News: Spied: Redesigned 2008 Pontiac Vibe (Jeremy96gase)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

not necessarily, i have 200hp and 220ft/lbs yet i get 30 mpg on the highway.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Generally speaking more HP means greater fuel consumption.