Surfs Up! Vibe GT show car spotted!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Jethro

Surfs Up! Vibe GT show car spotted!

Post by Jethro »

Spotted a nice looking Lava Vibe GT with custom paint this morning on my way to work. It was on a transporter dropping off some cars at a local salvage yard. The driver said he was hauling the Vibe and a custom GMC Envoy to Chicago for a car show (he didn't know any details of the show). I waited around while he unloaded it and snapped a few pix. Was rather late for work but what the heck!It had Suspension Techniques plastered on the windshield and license plates and was looking good sitting very low! I really liked the surfboard and FOUR red Sparco bucket seats too! Other than the seats it appeared to have some amps and speakers in the back but the stereo itself and the rest of the interior appeared stock from the quick look I got.I also snapped a picture of the rear suspension just before he started unloading it.I'll attach one picture here and additional pictures if you're interested (yeah, I thought so) will be here for a short while: http://www.cityofquincy.com/vibe/

Attached files
Stang2Vibe

Re: Surfs Up! Vibe GT show car spotted! (Jethro)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Nice find there, Jethro. Man, somebody really spent a few bucks on their Vibe, huh? I noticed the slotted and cross-drilled rotors on the front. I wonder where they got them.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
biggdogg173

Post by biggdogg173 »

They were probably bringing it to the World of Wheels show that is coming up at McCormick Place in Chicago from Jan 31st to Feb 2nd.
Won't you please be...my neighbor?Hello neighborKevin
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Now thats a sweet ride!! The body graphic looks good, too. Goes with the car.
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
Triton

Re: Surfs Up! Vibe GT show car spotted! (DopeVibeGT)

Post by Triton »

Great find Jethro! Good pics too. A little loud for my tastes, but a lot of work on the car and the graphics do look good on that color.
***SOLD***2003 Vibe GT Monotone Neptune - Inaugural October 2004 Vibe of the Month***SOLD***

Now the proud owner of Titanium Silver 2012 Kia Optima SX
MA-VIBE-FAN

Post by MA-VIBE-FAN »

Good to get a better look at the car. Link was posted to it when it appeared at the SEMA show. It was under one of the "find the car in the picture" threads. WARNING: the car is not the main subject in the picture. http://www.autoextremist.com/SEMA02/Peo ... de.jpgSEMA first, world of wheels would make sense.
savedbyzero

Re: Surfs Up! Vibe GT show car spotted! (MA-VIBE-FAN)

Post by savedbyzero »

umm, yuck...i just don't get it...
THIS IS WHAT I DO...http://www.studiothisis.com
DopeVibeGT

Re: Surfs Up! Vibe GT show car spotted! (savedbyzero)

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Ummm...what don't you get?
DopeVibeGT

Re: Surfs Up! Vibe GT show car spotted! (VibeBabe)

Post by DopeVibeGT »

I must have got up on the wrong side of bed. LoL I'm confused. Now, whats so 'rude' about a Video game girl in a bikini?? If you want one with a man in it, find a video game with one in it, make an Animated GIF, and there ya go.
NY Pete

Re: Surfs Up! Vibe GT show car spotted! (Stang2Vibe)

Post by NY Pete »

Racing Hart wheels, Sparco seats, AEM big brake kit... this guy's stealing all my ideas!
'02 Jetta 1.8T Silver Arrow/Black Leathuh - Neuspeed turbo inlet pipe, 17" VW Exor wheels, euro Bora tails, Neuspeed Sofsport Springs, Bilstein HD's, Da'lan hitch'03 20thAE GTI #3494 Imola Yellow/Black Recaros - Omori/AWE boost gauge, HPA Motorsports Short shifter, Neuspeed 28mm rear sway, REVO programming, Neuspeed turbo inlet pipe, FK Badgeless grille, Kamei eyelids and one big fat grin
snowbeast

Post by snowbeast »

great pics, jethro! you've got some good eyes. btw, would that frosty monotone vibe in the background of pic3 be yours by chance?
susanfrosty two-toned/auto/power/cargo box, nets, mat/seatback storage & first-aid/bumper protector/steel exhaust tip/pinstripe
Jethro

Re: Surfs Up! Vibe GT show car spotted! (snowbeast)

Post by Jethro »

quote:great pics, jethro! you've got some good eyes. btw, would that frosty monotone vibe in the background of pic3 be yours by chance?Yes, that's mine! You've got some pretty good eyes yourself - I didn't realize it was even in the picture.There wasn't room beside the transport (and I WAS getting later and later for work!) or I'd have tried to get a side-by-side shot to really show how low this Vibe sat.
Big_Red

Post by Big_Red »

Interesting, but I think the flames is a little too much.
2003 Pontiac VibeSalsaPower PackageSports PackageK&N Air Filter
Jethro

Re: Surfs Up! Vibe GT show car spotted! (Big_Red)

Post by Jethro »

quote:Interesting, but I think the flames is a little too much.Actually they are more like ribbons than flames. What impressed me is that it's actually paint, not vinyl graphics like it seems everybody is using these days.
ragingfish

Re: Surfs Up! Vibe GT show car spotted! (silverawd26)

Post by ragingfish »

the paint job rocks!i can't even paint-by-number decently! ROFL!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
CrazyJ-GT

Re: Surfs Up! Vibe GT show car spotted! (ragingfish)

Post by CrazyJ-GT »

Looking at the "underneath" pic...any guesses as to what exhaust is on that Vibe?
----------------JustinAbyss Vibe GT - Monotone, Moon & Tunes, 16" Wheels, & Power PackageMods: TRD Cold Air Intake, MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust, and Hotchkis Lowering Springs.
bodyman1968

Re: Surfs Up! Vibe GT show car spotted!

Post by bodyman1968 »

trying to find pictures of this vibe
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

WAH! I tried to open the link and it just tries to sell me the City of Quincy site. Is there another way to get to these pictures?
2003 Base Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

KingKrab65 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:21 am WAH! I tried to open the link and it just tries to sell me the City of Quincy site. Is there another way to get to these pictures?
Try the Wayback Machine at archive.org for that date range?
bodyman1968

Post by bodyman1968 »

i know there are a lot of pictures of this car out there...its been a long time...going to be tough to track them down
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Really funny. The Google image search still shows the car image, but when you go to the forum, it's missing. I guess they don't update to _remove_ images.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8
bodyman1968

Post by bodyman1968 »

thanks for the help....i'm trying to put that car back into show quality(far from it right now)...seeing the old pictures of it are giving me some of what i need to finish it..
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Oh, wow. Could you post up some 'before' pictures (as in what it looks like before you really get into restoring it)?
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

bodyman1968 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:56 pm i know there are a lot of pictures of this car out there...its been a long time...going to be tough to track them down
If the car is yours, did you grant permission for Kimballstock to sell pictures?

If nothing else, they may have more photos that you can use.

https://www.kimballstock.com/preview.as ... +RK0111+04

https://www.kimballstock.com/results.asp?txtkeys1=vibe
bodyman1968

Post by bodyman1968 »

after sema rhe car toured the country for a bit....it was then sold at a gm dealership that i work at ..it was wrecked the day after it was sold...sat in the parking lot for a while.i bought it fixed it and drove it for quite a while..started doing the body over,had some engine problem and lost interest....back on it now....so i didn't own it until after all pics were taken...here it is now
20190122_114926 (1).jpg
20190122_114926 (1).jpg (97.78 KiB) Viewed 5019 times
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Thanks! That's quite a difference from the bright red, flames, and surfboard of the original look.

I hope you manage to get it to look the way you want.

One possibility for detailed photos, inside and out, would be to try to contact the marketing group from that time period. They'd probably have a ton of archived photos of every step.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

bodyman1968 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:06 pm after sema rhe car toured the country for a bit....it was then sold at a gm dealership that i work at ..it was wrecked the day after it was sold...sat in the parking lot for a while.i bought it fixed it and drove it for quite a while..started doing the body over,had some engine problem and lost interest....back on it now....so i didn't own it until after all pics were taken...
Awesome! Great to see you've jumped back into fixing it up! You should start a thread in the GenVibe Garage Forum to document the revival ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
bodyman1968

Post by bodyman1968 »

thanks so much for the encouraging words ..between you and "Bookworm" the positive feedback is awesome ...thank you so much !!!