Manhattan

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
BOZACK

Manhattan

Post by BOZACK »

Last Saturday I did what I swore I would not do. I drove into Manhattan. It takes some talent and skill to drive in the city. Not that other places are not difficult but there are a number of people I know won't drive there. You have to be defensive an offensive in your driving if you don't want yellow paint on your car. Taxis are yellow and don't mind bumping you out of the way. I am also glad I did not lower my car. I deffinately would have scraped bottom. The pot holes are never really filled, just smoothed out. I swear I hit more and deeper dips than a parking lot with speed bumps every five feet.But in the end the Vibe handle sweetly. Stopped quickly and sped foward when asked. It turned and darted between cars precisely.No bumps or scratches. This was the ultimate test of the Vibes drivability.
Monotone Neptune, pow pac, 17" stock rims, K&N air filter, bumper guard, custom pedels, brake light cover, billet oil cap
mcgusto82

Re: Manhattan (BOZACK)

Post by mcgusto82 »

i always drive to manhattan. i don't think it's as bad as everybody else says it is. ofcourse it isn't a walk in the park neither. PARKING is my issue. trafic delays me and i'm forced to park at those rent-a-spot. those guys are basically park sharks. 30$ for a parking garage hour??? no way!!. i'm just not used to taking the train and bus. why should i? i have a car for it.what were you doing there anyways?
BOZACK

Re: Manhattan (mcgusto82)

Post by BOZACK »

Went to the New York Custom Knife Show. I used to collect knives before I was married. Now, six years divorced, I am starting to get back into it.
Monotone Neptune, pow pac, 17" stock rims, K&N air filter, bumper guard, custom pedels, brake light cover, billet oil cap
Kari

Re: Manhattan (mcgusto82)

Post by Kari »

Quote, originally posted by mcgusto82 »i'm just not used to taking the train and bus. why should i?So you don't have to pay $30 for a parking spot or search forever to find one, that's why.
GenVibe Global Moderator
BOZACK

Re: Manhattan (Kari)

Post by BOZACK »

If your good at parallel parking and don't mind walking a few blocks you can park on the streets. That is if it is a weekend day. You also have to put up with the possibility of pedestrians, cars, garbage, and other stuff scratching the car.
gargoyle

Post by gargoyle »

Quote, originally posted by BOZACK »Went to the New York Custom Knife Show. I used to collect knives before I was married. Now, six years divorced, I am starting to get back into it.Sorry, but that just sounds funny. Makes for a catchy phrase...knives and wives don't mix.
Kari

Post by Kari »

Quote, originally posted by BOZACK »If your good at parallel parking and don't mind walking a few blocks you can park on the streets. That is if it is a weekend day. You also have to put up with the possibility of pedestrians, cars, garbage, and other stuff scratching the car.That's precisely why I won't even parallel park here in the burgeoning metropolis of Oxford...heh. I have to say you couldn't pay me enough to drive in Manhattan...I'd take the commuter train and then the subway.
GenVibe Global Moderator
mcgusto82

Post by mcgusto82 »

i'm just used to driving everywhere and finding ample parking. aww, how miss VA.
BOZACK

Post by BOZACK »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »That's precisely why I won't even parallel park here in the burgeoning metropolis of Oxford...heh. I have to say you couldn't pay me enough to drive in Manhattan...I'd take the commuter train and then the subway.If you do ever visit Manhattan, take a taxi. A better ride can't be found in an amusement park.
Kari

Post by Kari »

I have visited...four times...and I'm afraid of the taxies. LOL No thanks I'll wait for the subway
GenVibe Global Moderator
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

i drove to NYC from Toronto in my parents' car back at the naive age of 20....drove right down through times square at about 4pm on a weekday during a light rainstorm!!i just remember all the yellow around me...and the almost 'out of car' experience of visualizing my beige volkswagon in the sea of yellow cabs!i got through it alright and even had to do a few 'offence' type moves too! i may have just been lucky!
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
BOZACK

Re: (Atomb)

Post by BOZACK »

I drove a car as a courier in the city for eight months. In that time I had two accidents, was hit by three bike messengers and four pedestrians. The good part is that everyone is so busy they don't have time to hang around for police. LOL. And yes, they all hit me. Never any damage though. The best one was a bike messenger that flew over my hood when he was cut off by a taxi. His head hit the car next to me. But he sprang up, bleeding from the elbow, and checked his bike then sped off.
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

i was a bike courier in my younger days...had to be THE best job i've ever had....sorry for change of topic...
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
Viben' round

Re: (Atomb)

Post by Viben' round »

Driving in the City isn't too bad. The FDR Drive is probably the worst though, with the potholes and such. Definately a back breaker if you have a bad back and lousy suspension! You just have to learn quicly how to be aggressive. Other wise you WILL get crushed and have every other car honking at you. Just rmember that Pedestrians have the right of way and don't block the box. Oh and honking is actually an offense! You could get a ticket fot it. Happy driving!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/485204 Mods: Lowes Mat in the trunk area, 6 1/2"Rockford Fosgate Fanatic P in the front, Pioneer 6 1/2" 3 ways in the back, JVC KD-LH810, Grafxwerks stuff, Chrome Lugs, Yakima Roof Rack, LandShark, LoadWarior, Bedmount Bike Rack (fits nicely in tracks) and BarrCrafter Snowboard racks