What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
MadBill

What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes?

Post by MadBill »

Bdaz1 mentioned on Scott's post re the Tarrytown repair facility that he'd love to provide some comments to the GM Engineers. Well, Scott said they monitor this site, even though they aren't allowed to post, so let's tell them! [Unfortunately, we'll probably get carried away with picayune (errr.. minor) details as well as impractical ones like "Twice the power and half the price", but they should be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.] I hope they can keep in mind that we wouldn't bother with this constructive critisism if we didn't think the Vibe was basically a fantastic car... Herewith, in descending order of importance, my wish list re my base 5 speed:1. Hatch opening: On the diagonal, it's an agonizing 1-1/2" shy of accepting a 4'x8' sheet of plywood! A little work with the trim panels might do it. 2.Idle speed: Too high, too much of the time. Is 2,000 RPM really necessary for emissions compliance or whatever? 3. Decel fuel cut-off/in is abrupt, erratic and unsettling. I think some calibration Engineer stopped work just shy of "good enough". 4. Too tall/imperfectly spaced gear ratios: my base engine/5 speed can easily reach 120 KPH (75 MPH) in 3rd! 4th and 5th could be described as "upwind cruise" and "downwind cruise" gears, they're so close together (only a 600 RPM drop at 120 KPH). 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th should be progressively shorter (i.e., shorten 4th the most) and 5th is just fine. 5. (Speaking of picayune, starting to reach a little now) I find the clutch take up too soft. Especially shifting to reverse, and to some extent on downshifts, it has to be depressed ~3/4 of the way to fully disengage. Either I have some air in my hydraulics, or the marcel (wavy spring) in the clutch disc is way too wavy! 6. The console lower compartment is admirably large, but I would like the lid 2" lower and 3" longer. 7. The antenna gets in the way of roof rack loads. How about a GM-style glass-embedded one? 8. Why can't the remote be actuated to "preset" for locking the doors when they are open, instead of having to wait 'till they're all closed before hitting the button? It works this way on my other GM vehicles.That's it! Otherwise the car is perfect! (Oh wait: one more: One reason I didn't go for the GT was that I found the 6,000 RPM cut in of the big cams REALLY irritating! It felt to me like Marketing told the Engineers to delay the shift about 1,000 RPM from where the torque curves would have blended smoothly, just so the customer could "feel the technology working"I know change is not easy, but thanks for listening, GM!
robodog61

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (MadBill)

Post by robodog61 »

I would make the interior lights come on as soon as the ignition is turned off.
esjones

Post by esjones »

I really wished that OnStar was available when I ordered. I know it is coming, but that doesn't do me any good.- Earl
- Earl Earl Jones, Sales and MarketingHorizon Systems LLChttp://www.horizonsystems.com/ Skype ID: esjonesMy Vibe: '03 Base, 5-speed, ABS, Alum. Wheels, Power Pkg, DVD Nav., Security, Neptune/Graphite
esjones

Post by esjones »

Hey, GM... I have an opinion on everything automotive, and have never owned anything but GM vehicles. (The Honda 750 motorcycle doesn't count.)Send me an e-mail (earl_s_jones (at) yahoo.com) if you organize any marketing focus groups!! I'd love to participate. - Earl
- Earl Earl Jones, Sales and MarketingHorizon Systems LLChttp://www.horizonsystems.com/ Skype ID: esjonesMy Vibe: '03 Base, 5-speed, ABS, Alum. Wheels, Power Pkg, DVD Nav., Security, Neptune/Graphite
Vibe Rater

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (esjones)

Post by Vibe Rater »

Make the car 'available' in Canada.
Vibe

Post by Vibe »

My pet and only peeve---that "fagot sounding horn!!!" James
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes?

Post by NSimkins »

There are a couple other huge threads related to this topic as well if you wish to view them: Pet Peeve?http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=263 Suggestions to Pontiac to improve the Vibe http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=839
NovaResource

Post by NovaResource »

quote:1. Hatch opening: On the diagonal, it's an agonizing 1-1/2" shy of accepting a 4'x8' sheet of plywood! A little work with the trim panels might do it.The Vibe isn't designed to fit 4'x8' sheets of plywood. GM has other vehicles that can do that. The Vibe is designed to carry stuff yet be small and sporty. Anyway, even if the 4' end could fit diagonally, you can't get the 8' length all the way in the car. Only the passenger side will allow 8' length stuff with the seat folded.quote:2.Idle speed: Too high, too much of the time. Is 2,000 RPM really necessary for emissions compliance or whatever?I disagree, the high idle is fine. And yes, it is necessary for emissions.quote:3. Decel fuel cut-off/in is abrupt, erratic and unsettling. I think some calibration Engineer stopped work just shy of "good enough".I disagree also. My Vibe doesn't have this problem. Maybe you should have you Vibe looked at.quote:4. Too tall/imperfectly spaced gear ratios: my base engine/5 speed can easily reach 120 KPH (75 MPH) in 3rd! 4th and 5th could be described as "upwind cruise" and "downwind cruise" gears, they're so close together (only a 600 RPM drop at 120 KPH). 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th should be progressively shorter (i.e., shorten 4th the most) and 5th is just fine.Just because you can do 75 in 3rd doesn't mean you should drive that way. That spins the motor too much and wastes fuel. The gears are fine in my opinion.quote:5. (Speaking of picayune, starting to reach a little now) I find the clutch take up too soft. Especially shifting to reverse, and to some extent on downshifts, it has to be depressed ~3/4 of the way to fully disengage. Either I have some air in my hydraulics, or the marcel (wavy spring) in the clutch disc is way too wavy!I don't know, mine is an auto.quote:6. The console lower compartment is admirably large, but I would like the lid 2" lower and 3" longer.I disagree. The height is perfect and the same as the arm rest on the door panel. Try raising your seat (the round dial on the side) if you feel the console is too high. And if you made it 3" longer you would have to move the brake handle up 3" and that could cause interferrence with the shifter and the compartment under the shifter.quote:7. The antenna gets in the way of roof rack loads. How about a GM-style glass-embedded one?I agree. I like glass antenna however, they aren't always as powerful.quote:8. Why can't the remote be actuated to "preset" for locking the doors when they are open, instead of having to wait 'till they're all closed before hitting the button? It works this way on my other GM vehicles.I agree but I know why: the locking system is Toyotas, not GM's. Toyota said no to the change. The GM system is programmable to allow you to pick and choose what features you want. I'd like it to lock the doors when you move the shifter into drive.
KSNeptune

Post by KSNeptune »

Better, deeper sounding horn. With new digital technology, maybe we could record our own "WATCH OUT!" and have it play loudly when the horn button is pressed. Perhaps a choice of phrases could be played, depending on the situation.More low end torque from the base engine.Additional tie-down tracks 90 degrees from the existing ones in the rear cargo area.Bump auto shifter closer to driver and farther from climate dials.Put another 120v AC plug in the rear cargo area, accessible when the gate is open.A better cargo cover. Existing one too hard to install/remove, and floppy.Add telescoping to the steering column.Make the rear bumper protector standard.Enlarge the fuel tank. 20 gallons would be nice.Make the cargo floor "stickier", so things don't slide so easily on it.Move the front cup holders a bit farther from the parking break, or move the parking break altogether.Put a rain sensor switch on the sunroof so it will close itself if it detects rain.Perhaps make a Gas/Electric hybrid version.Make the paint impervious to any damage, ever.Add auto-open to the tailgate/keyfob.Have all CD player options play MP3 files on CD-Rs.Don't touch the external styling one bit.Include an 1/8" stereo mini jack auxiliary input for the stereo system.Don't touch the external styling one bit.KSNeptune.
E-Man

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (KSNeptune)

Post by E-Man »

I would start with windnoise -- on the highway today it was very loud -- maybe a more absorbant dash mat is needed or some baffles in the A-pillars or maybe some thicker windshield glass.Second I have to agree with the horn, I used it the other day and boy did I feel embarrased by the sound!Most of all, it would be all the little rattles and "itches" I hear the interior doing with only 1300 miles on the Odometer.thats it for now.Ed
Monotone Salsa Vibe
E-Man

Post by E-Man »

Oh yes! Only two more things -- I would have to second the improvement of the center console armrest -- a little bit longer both fore and aft as well as a little padding. And speaking of padding, the small little door armrests have a complete lack of padding on them (the fabric itself does not count).the last thing would be a telescoping steering wheel that could come towards the driver.thats itEd
Monotone Salsa Vibe
Sub-Zero

Post by Sub-Zero »

i think pontiac should offer:1) sport package at no extra cost 2) full time AWD3) a worked over 2ZZ with stronger bottom end/new internals with factory installed supercharger at least at 7-10psi (low compression internals)4) tinted headlights, and HIDs (if those aren't already an option...didn't think they were)5) manual transmission mated to the above, or a SMT like in toyota's MR2 Spyder
Voitek

Post by Voitek »

Fog lights indicator please!
NovaResource

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (Voitek)

Post by NovaResource »

quote:Fog lights indicator please!There is one. Look at the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel. If the headlights are on (green bulb in the instrument cluster) and the fog light switch is on the on position, the fog lights are on. Simple, huh?
rubberman

Post by rubberman »

How about backliting all the switchs windows,locks,power mirrior buttons more bottom end in the motor maybe change the gearing to help get it off the line better thats were the 6 spd from the gt would help the base car.Dont change the outside of the car!
Car&Bike Pics http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2355922/1New Kumho712(summer225/50/16)195/65/15 Dunlops(winter)03 Vibe 49,000kms gone!!!!!New Battery/window rubber pass doorTwo seats fixed(coming apart at the seams)Transmission?,Tires that sound like mudders on a truck(Contis) 18,000kms done/noisey A/C Compreser/poor paintRadio(no am)2 days old ,door speaker replaced
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Hmm, my GT idles fine. On the cold morning, it idles at about 1600, then once its warm, it happily idles at 800.Now, few things to change:1. Hood seal! I dont want water on my engine, damn it! My GA doesnt have this problem!2. I agree. Some nice horns, instead of the Japanese sounding ones.3. Roof rack should be optional.4.DRL! Lose them. I hate those things. I would ride around with my driving lights on anyway.5.Have the driving lights come on without the headlights being on.6. Better seats. Lose the mini van looking seats, and get some nice sporty buckets. 7. Smoother shifting 6 speed. Current one is great, but a little notchy.
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
robodog61

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (DopeVibeGT)

Post by robodog61 »

In reading these suggestions, it is occurring to me that people are making unrealistic wish lists. I mean, why not just say that I want my Vibe to get 100 mpg, have thrusters to fly above the traffic and come with deluxe *** scratchers. Come on, you bought a small station wagon! Just kidding. I do like to read the suggested improvements but I think people go to far.
KSNeptune

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (robodog61)

Post by KSNeptune »

Not too far. Too far would be expecting GM/Pontiac to make the '04 Vibe with all the above suggested improvements, then let us trade our '03s in even-steven trade for an '04.In my experience it never hurts to set your desires/wishes/goal higher than the common would expect. Mankind only succeeds in redefining/expanding the limits when he makes that the goal.So yes, I WOULD like some future version of the Vibe to get 100mpg, fly over older traffic still confined to the ground, use solar power, never rust or wear out, and be happy to see me when I get in it.But I'll settle for the supercharger. KSNeptune
DopeVibeGT

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (KSNeptune)

Post by DopeVibeGT »

If the Vibe got 100 MPG, it would have 50 HP and be half electric. 0-60 times would be something in the tomorrow range. LoL I'll stick with my 25 MPG GT.
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
ragingfish

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (DopeVibeGT)

Post by ragingfish »

XM RADIO!!! I was really frustrated this wasn't an option. That was the biggest reason I struggled between the Sunfire and Vibe. PROGRAMMABLE AUTO LOCKS --> If toyota says no, then mayeb it's time GM step up to the plate and put more influence into tis car. I'm disappointed tat there is SO much toyotoa and like no pontiac other than a little here and htere...the horn, enough said. The sunroof--what's this close halfway and stop thing? Makes no sense. Liked the sunroof on my sunfire -- push open once, it vents, depress open again, it auto rolls open all the way. Then just hold close and it closes the whole way. The interior courtesy lights are pathetic. They really don't light the car at all. Very disapponting. Need floor-directed lighting, more lighting in the front seat, and brighter lights. Also, it woul be awesome if you had your choice of colors for the dash -- I know Pontiac is known for the warm red background, but i htink a blue or green would be cool too. And how come NONE of the door-based controls are backlit? It's hard to find the lock or window controls after dark. The Twilight sentinel is a disaster. Tweak it or toss it. And I would definitely like to see a more powerful engine -- this car is allegedly being designed for the younger generation. Well, young or not, people like power. Yeah, the engine is good...but it needs to be better. And a smoother more responsive auto tranny would be nice. It seems to kinda lag. But I could just not be driving right. As for the antenna, I like it. It removes easily, is resistant to snags, bending, and breaking, and is kinda cute. LOL! But my parents have the glass-based antenna on their GP, and it SUCKS! No worth it IMHO. Anyway, these are my thouhts. As everyone has said already, I have simple little things I think that would make the car better. But overall, I still love it, and it's still my fave!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Mayberry

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (ragingfish)

Post by Mayberry »

In agreement with KSNeptune... have Mp3 compatability (at least in the navigation option)... I mean, if it can read a DVD format, how hard would it be to add a reader ??And a really picky change.... why does the 120v AC light up green and all other lighting is red ?? and i don't mean when it is on.. why wasn't it made red ??thats all.. fun ride otherwise.. oh, and the twilight sensor is waaay too sensitive.. my lights are always on it seems.. and I don't live in Alaska..
wheeee....
305fan

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (Mayberry)

Post by 305fan »

Well I don't own a Vibe and have never even driven one--but I checked it out at the car show last year and seemed to like it.Pretty sporty---and this is coming froma guy who has owned 7- Fbodies and Mustang---plus many more 2 door cars.I'd like to see a larger displacement motor--1.8L is pretty small.GM's 2.2 Eco-tech comes to mind--it has gotten excellent reviews butthat seems unlikely.A 2.0 140hp Toyota engine could do--and that 2.4L 164hp (?) for the GT. I'd rather have a little bit less hp for a lot more torque.Those auto 1.8L have to be quite gutless eh?
scruz86

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (305fan)

Post by scruz86 »

I think it will be nice that is the GT model that has 180 HP, it should have 5 SPEED AUTOMATIC, also 6 SPEED MANUAL, I really like the Yellow color, maybe they should have a V6 engine, and 18 inch wheels.
Flip-Side

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (scruz86)

Post by Flip-Side »

quote:maybe they should have a V6 engine, and 18 inch wheels.Funny how the layout in the engine bay has so much extra room. As if engineers wanted to put a 6 cylinder in it. If they put the 3.8L v6 in the Vibe with the 6-speed, I would sell my soul.....
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
KSNeptune

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (Flip-Side)

Post by KSNeptune »

I'd settle for a supercharger and 220hp with the base 4 banger. Then an LCD programmable display to hang in the passenger window saying "Honk once if you want to race!". KSNeptune.
Voitek

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (NovaResource)

Post by Voitek »

Not really. I meant the dedicated fog light ondicator. Other cars have it and I am pretty sure GM/Toyota just forgot it. Whenewer you switch anything in the car you should have an appropriate indicator light so you do not have to check the position of the switch. For some reason the only thing in the Vibe that does not have ths feature are the fog lights.
Xteife

Post by Xteife »

I've owned my Vibe GT for 4 days now and have the following wishlist:1. Lose the annoying beep when in reverse. Isn't the resistance enough between R and the rest of the gears?2. Put the rearview mirror with the L and R map lights in all of the cars, not just the ones without the sunroof. Try driving at night with the single front dome light on. Might as well have someone driving toward you with their brights on.3. Add more sporty colors to the lineup. Why does GM always drop the cool and different individualized colors? At least add a dark green.4. Put the temperature display somewhere where at least the front passenger can see it.5. Add the auto-dimming rearview mirror like in the trucks. Hey, why not put the temp display there too (see above)?6. Allow the wheel to tilt toward the driver more. I think the car would be a little more driveable if the wheel was more perpendicular to the floor.7. Add a foglight indicator. Even if it's just a little light on the dash. No fancy iconic idiot light is necessary.8. Better FM reception (this may just be a problem with my car though. Still have to have them look at it.)9. More passenger seat adjustability.10. Lose the annoying beeps when buttons are pushed on the 6 disc stereo.11. Add another AC plug in the rear.12. More manly horn.13. Lumbar adjustment for at least the driver's seat.14. Larger or telescoping visors. At least for the driver.That's about it for now...- G
baltimore17

Post by baltimore17 »

I love my Vibe and don't want to change anything that would make it difficult for NUMMI to build the flawless car that they built for me, but if you'd asked me 18 months ago...Light the console's auto transmission selector display immediately, along with the dash gauges.Traction control option.Relocate the parking brake handle so that single jointed people could easily yank it.Red warning lights on a red-lit gauge face is a bad idea. At least blink the lights, at most change the background color.Fabric trim on the rear doors (like Matrix).Slots in the rear cargo area carpet to match the cargo tracks.High output engine with good low end torque available with base model and automatic.Keep the twilight sentinel but relocate the sensor away from the A-pillar shadows and recalibrate so that overpasses don't trigger it.Change the material atop the dash board so that it doesn't mark up when anything touches it.Fix the frequency response on the base radio: when I want bass boost, I can dial it in.Light the volume and select knobs on the base radio.Light the power door lock switch and power window buttons on the driver's door.Retractable roller shade version of the cargo cover.Medium blue metallic paint color option.Light neutral (tan) interior color option.Do something about the 16" alloy wheels: so far, two snow storms, two times driving with unbalanced wheels from snow collected when parked (never experienced this with other alloy wheels).
Cubanpete

Post by Cubanpete »

The Vibe should have the Following fixes1) Better Horn2)The Vibe GT Should be available with an Optional V6 (240 HP)3)The Vibe GT should be offered as an Automatic4)AWD Model is way overpriced5)The Dash Display should be White Backround and Blue or read markings, Making it Visible in the Daytime without the use of LED's6)The Windows in the Front should have a better sun shade!7)I would make the DRL switchable via Switch and can be turned on Via Drivers Prefrence.8)The Factory Alarm should chirp when engaged.9)Rear View Mirror should be just a Tad Larger!10) Should offer and Alpine or Kenwood Higher End Radiobetter then the crappy Delco!11) Traction Control Option12) The 6 Speed GT, Should have the Gears Streched out a bit morethey are very good but somewhat tight!13)The Should offer the Manual Auto Tranny with a V6 on the GT Model like the MR2 or Murano.........14)Never Change the shape to match the Matrix, the Vibe Exterioris one of the best attractions that made me buy this car.15)The aztec looking front shoud be changed. It resembles thataztec too much, and that sucks.16) A bigger Gas Tank would also HelpI hope GM really looks here and tries to Implement these ChangesI think it would make the Vibe on of the best selling cars that GM will be popping out!
tumbleweed

Post by tumbleweed »

Move the steering wheel 1/2" further away from dash, do something to improve the readability of the odometer !!!! for us middle-age people, the combination of red lighting and small size numbers makes it unreadable for me, louder horn.
KSNeptune

Post by KSNeptune »

Have the lift glass open itself up once unlocked by the key fob.KSNeptune
Voitek

Post by Voitek »

A dash mounted Engine Start button would be nice (as an option)
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

you mean no key, just a pushbutton ignition?
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
R@@MPID

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (silverawd26)

Post by R@@MPID »

I love my Vibe.I have children and living in Canada winter brings on the night quite quickly. I would like to have reading lights for the outside rear passengers....My daughter loves her magnadoodle and her Leappad.thats it!
ragingfish

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (R@@MPID)

Post by ragingfish »

agreed. reading lights in the rear, and map lights in the front, are amazingly rare these days...hard to find...but that goes along with my concern about an interior that's way too dark...more lights i say!

2009 PONTIAC G8
coratz

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (silverawd26)

Post by coratz »

fix that freaken dead pedal for those who have wide feet, have a longer delay on the wipers, make the gas tank pump click when the tank is completly full(not so you cant still put in 5 bucks) have lights on the vanity mirrors(both with covers) make the steering wheel heated, and god o mighty make the doors some how not cake the freaken interior of the car with snow when you open them when they are snow covered!!!!!!!!this one really ticks me off
ragingfish

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (coratz)

Post by ragingfish »

quote:god o mighty make the doors some how not cake the freaken interior of the car with snow when you open them when they are snow covered!!!!!!!!this one really ticks me offdude! that so happened to me today! i tried to brush off as much as I could, but when i opened the door, a pile more ended up on my seat. very frustrating. i guess they can't make the car come in so much at the top. got me though, i don't know how the engineering of this stuff works.

2009 PONTIAC G8
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

quote:god o mighty make the doors some how not cake the freaken interior of the car with snow when you open them when they are snow covered!!!!!!!!this one really ticks me offdude! that so happened to me today! i tried to brush off as much as I could, but when i opened the door, a pile more ended up on my seat. very frustrating. i guess they can't make the car come in so much at the top. got me though, i don't know how the engineering of this stuff works.This hasn't happened to me, but then I brush my car off before opening the doors. I open the hatch to get the brush.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

So far I'd say the most irritating things are :1. Key fob does not work if door is open. 2. Park brake handle to console clearance. 3. 6th gear could be slightly taller. After they fixed those, the least they could do is :Stop wussing out - the PT Cruiser offers 215 hp, so should the Vibe. If Ford and Honda power up the Focus and Civic Si by '05, the Vibe will be pathetic. Run Flat tires with a serious subwoofer package and MP3/DVD player would probably be more popular than the NAV system is today.Leather seats and more sound insulation would broaden the appeal of this car and make even the base models seem more expensive. Any of these options could push the price over $25K, but I think that I would still want one. Options can be left out by the thrifty...
My old Abyss GT - Power, Moon and Tunes, Monochrome Mods - Installed , then removed, Sylvannia Silverstars (Headlamp only)Future mods - ?
ragingfish

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (Yoda)

Post by ragingfish »

Those are all good thoughts Yoda...but keep in mind, the Vibe is being geared and marketed towards Yuppies (I writhe at using the term, but it seemed appropriate) and college students -- a big goal of the vehicle's success is keeping it affordable. I think they might consider making all your thoughts options on the current models, but I think they should still make a well equipped base model that is affordable. I was just barely able to afford the Base model with power package, moon & tunes, and abs...but it wasn't priced too bad...had it been any higher, I probably would have gone to another Sunfire, or possibly out of the brand.

2009 PONTIAC G8
Xteife

Post by Xteife »

That's happened to me too, even if I brush it off before opening the door. When it happens, it looks like the snow doesn't actually just fall into the car, but gets sucked in by the slight vacuum created when the door is opened. My 2001 GMC 1500 does the same thing...
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Damn vacuums. First they blow my bulb (reference thread Bizarre Burnout ) and now they snow the inside of my car. DOH!

2009 PONTIAC G8
redtrdmatrix

Post by redtrdmatrix »

I would have to say the noisy dash and the low quality stereo(replaced twice and lets just say there won't be a 3rd time now that it has been replaced with an alpine).
03 Radiant Red Matrix XR 5speed with sport package and factory 17'sMods:TRD Sport MufflerTRD Strut Tower BarTRD GrilleInjen CAIMOMO Tomahawk shift knobTEIN springsSilverstar lows, highs and fogsAlpine CDA 7892 headunitInfinity Reference 625i speakers
Voitek

Post by Voitek »

quote:you mean no key, just a pushbutton ignition?Yes, that's the one. Something like the one in Honda 2000.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

never seen it before. wouldn't that kinda defeat the security of having a key ignition though?couldn't anyone just hop in, push the button, and go?

2009 PONTIAC G8
NovaResource

Post by NovaResource »

quote:never seen it before. wouldn't that kinda defeat the security of having a key ignition though? couldn't anyone just hop in, push the button, and go?No, you would still need the key to unlock the column and power the car. Right now the key has 4 positions: Lock Unlocked Run StartWhen you turn the key you go from lock to start and after the car starts and you let off the key it rotates back to run. In a car with a push-button start, the key would only have 3 positions: Lock Unlocked RunTo start the car you turn the key to run an let go. Then press the button to start.To me, it's a total gimmick and a waste. The key works fine to start the car and it only takes one step insted of two.
ragingfish

Re: What would You Have GM Change on Future Vibes? (NovaResource)

Post by ragingfish »

Sounds fun...but not sure if it's really necessary...it's not like my snowblower where a pull cord is involved and I've thrown out my back three times...that justifies a push button start...but I've never struggled to start a car.

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Make the tray table on the passenger seatback about another 1 - 1.5 inches taller (top to bottom of seat). My laptop is just a little too large to sit flat on it, so I can' t use my original idea of velcro to hold it in place when I'm moving (I have navigation software on it).It would be nice if there was an option to have some sorta laptop mounting system there too...but the 1 - 1.5 inches is more than enough to appease me.

2009 PONTIAC G8
Voitek

Post by Voitek »

quote:never seen it before. wouldn't that kinda defeat the security of having a key ignition though?couldn't anyone just hop in, push the button, and go?that's how it looks And here is some more info and few more pictures http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/steve/luc ... 000.htmNow, as the security is concerned there is no problem. In less expensive cars (say Vibe) you still need a key to release locks, alarms and power-up the ignition system. Then you start the engine (give or take extra 0.5 sec.) And this is as close as anyone can get to Formula 1. More expensive cars (say Renault Clio which by the way is not an "expensive" car in Europe) have something called a "hands free card" (micro chip size of a credit card). And now is when it becomes really cool. As you approach your car, the card remotely (from your wallet in your back pocket!) unlocks the doors, alarms, and adjusts seats and mirrors to your personal setup. You jump into the car and just press the button to start the engine. Is this a gimmick? To some extend. Do we need gimmicks? SURE! Besides, I would prefer to have this thing on my dash bringing back sweet driving memories, rather than an emergency light switch right up my face just to remind me that my car may fail anytime soon. And now Gentlemen and Ladies, start your engines!
Voitek

Post by Voitek »