Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
drunkenmaxx

Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open?

Post by drunkenmaxx »

well, you know the question folks.me, i could care less.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Kari

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (drunkenvibe)

Post by Kari »

Nope can't say I would...
GenVibe Global Moderator
drunkenmaxx

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (Kari)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

actually, im being serious here! i was wondering if anyone actually uses it. i cant think of many uses for it, unless maybe sticking some 2x4's out of it.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Kari

Post by Kari »

The only thing I've ever used mine for is to check and make sure that nothing had shifted before I opened the whole hatch door after I hauled a bunch of stuff to Ohio for my upcoming move...other than that, I've never raised it other than to clean it.
GenVibe Global Moderator
Mavrik

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (Kari)

Post by Mavrik »

I've never used it... um... yeah so could care less if it opened. But I bet if it didn't open, I'd wanna use it. But its to small load the trunk from.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
iinan

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (Mavrik)

Post by iinan »

use it all the time, its easier to put groceries in with just the glass hatch being open, if I open the full hatch they would fall out
2004 GTMagnaflow/Cosmo CAI/TRD Strut brace/Hotchkis springs20-15 tint/Unichip/18 Konig "trouble" wheelshttp://members.cardomain.com/iinan
ShadowRuleZ

Post by ShadowRuleZ »

Yes, since i have had things stick out of it before. It was also a selling point for me since none of the others had one.
drunkenmaxx

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (iinan)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

i dont have much use for the storage area. if i put groceries back there, they would be pounded to sheet by my subs by the time i got home...maybe i should have made this a poll...
drunkenmaxx

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (silverawd26)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

did you bring your badge deputy?
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

I use to use it alot for groceries. It was very handy for that. But now that I'm hauling the kiddo around in a carseat, I keep the tonneau (sp?) cover across to keep stuff from flying around if I got in a wreck. Which makes using the glass hatch kindof a pain.If I had some kind of retractible, easy-to-use cover instead of the relatively crappy one that comes with the Vibe, I'd start using it again.So, yes I'm glad it opens, I;ve used it a lot, but with the standard cargo cover it's kinda useless.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
Mavrik

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (iinan)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by iinan »use it all the time, its easier to put groceries in with just the glass hatch being open, if I open the full hatch they would fall out I always have that cargo cover on so can't load through the window. Plus I like testing my reaction time by opening the trunk and catching everything that starts falling out.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
GMJAP

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (silverawd26)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by silverawd26 »Great thread! 500 pts for drunken.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
Mase

Post by Mase »

I've never used it for anything practical. I actually forgot that I had it until I was playing around with my FOB one day.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Yes, I have used it many times: 2x4's, roll of carpeting, listen to exhaust while driving when it was first installed, groceries, etc...It's great while shopping to use the remote to just pop it, drop it and shut it.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
drunkenmaxx

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (GMJAP)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »500 pts for drunken.can i just have 500 more posts added to my name to move me up closer to ultimate coolness?
Kari

Post by Kari »

*looks around, confused*Thought I heard a Hoover in here...*shrugs*
GenVibe Global Moderator
joatmon

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open?

Post by joatmon »

I use it to load stuff up at the store so it doesn't spill out, and also at home to unload it, because my dog loves to ride in the car, and if I open the hatch up all the way he is likely to overpower me and jump in, climbing over the groceries on the way. He won't try to jump in if I just open the glass. Quote, originally posted by drunkenvibe »me, i could care less.That means that you do care some. If you had said "I couldn't care less" that would mean that you cared at the absolute minimum possible level, but since you could care less, you care at an unspecified level not equal to the absolute minimum possible level. It can be inferred that you do in fact care some, because you initiated this thread. If in fact you couldn't care less about whether genvibers would give a crap if the hatch glass didn't open, it would be odd of you to ask a question that you were not interested in the answer, unless you felt the need to post something and could come up with nothing to post that you actually did care about some amount. I guess to be techincally accurate, as what this post is turning into, my answer would be no, if for some reason the hatch glass on my Vibe didn't open, I would not defecate, nor would I donate excrement. However, if you transposed two letters in the subject of the thread, then there is a possible hypothetical situation, where, say I was holding a goldfish in my hand and the hatch glass wouldn't open so I couldn't get to the water in the back of the vibe, I might pass the fish on to someone else to hydrate, in which case I would give a carp if the hatch glass didn't open. Thinking about it, if I was somehow trapped in the back of the Vibe and egress through the doors was completely blocked, my only avenue of escape being the hatch glass, but being in no immediate peril and having adeqaute supplies of air, food and water, I suppose that enough time could elapse that I would give a crap, however, an argument could be made that I had given a crap as a result of the prior intake of food, and not directly reelated to the hatch glass not opening, that the crap would have been given eventually even if the hatch did open, so I guess that hypothetical situation, although unpleasant, does not result in a situation where having the hatch glass not open would cause me to give a crap.
drunkenmaxx

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (joatmon)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »That means that you do care some. If you had said "I couldn't care less" that would mean that you cared at the absolute minimum possible level, but since you could care less, you care at an unspecified level not equal to the absolute minimum possible level. yeah, i know, but around here, that is actually what people say.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I say pee pee on that damn window! I'm not 7'16" with really long arms, so it's completely useless for me. Sure I could possibly try to throw crap in there but I can't get anything out through that opening, the floor is too far away from the opening.I've actually ran out of places on the dash for switches, so the stupid glass release switch is going bye-bye if I need to wire something else up. The only time I *ever* open the glass is to do cleaning around there and check for rust. lol
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
tangerine

Post by tangerine »

I would care since in my old car I had it setup where I could open it all the way and close it while setting in my seat (just could not latch it till I got out) so if someone was being *****y about my sound system I'd pull up beside their window and flip the glass open and give'm something to whine about.
04 Fusion Orange Base Vibe auto Now no longer with us thanks to ignorant drivers...
iinan

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (Mavrik)

Post by iinan »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »I always have that cargo cover on so can't load through the window. Plus I like testing my reaction time by opening the trunk and catching everything that starts falling out. LOL -- so silly
2004 GTMagnaflow/Cosmo CAI/TRD Strut brace/Hotchkis springs20-15 tint/Unichip/18 Konig "trouble" wheelshttp://members.cardomain.com/iinan
Psychobroker

Post by Psychobroker »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenvibe »well, you know the question folks.me, i could care less.I would give a huge crap (well, not literally!) !! I find it way too convenient to just pop the hatch glass vs. having to open the entire trunk. Esp when getting/grabbing groceries or any other misc. items. EDIT: (removed) Joatmon!EDIT 2: Quote »It's great while shopping to use the remote to just pop it, drop it and shut it.Exactly, BC knows what's up
jwalcik

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (BlueCrush)

Post by jwalcik »

i use mine quite a bit. if i'm carrying something else and just need to either drop it in (say, a 40lb bag of dog food), it's nice to have my keys in my hand and be able to unlock it without having to fumble with opening the entire hatch.
2005 vibe gt
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »That means that you do care some. If you had said "I couldn't care less" that would mean that you cared at the absolute minimum possible level, but since you could care less, you care at an unspecified level not equal to the absolute minimum possible level. It can be inferred that you do in fact care some, because you initiated this thread. If in fact you couldn't care less about whether genvibers would give a crap if the hatch glass didn't open, it would be odd of you to ask a question that you were not interested in the answer, unless you felt the need to post something and could come up with nothing to post that you actually did care about some amount. I guess to be techincally accurate, as what this post is turning into, my answer would be no, if for some reason the hatch glass on my Vibe didn't open, I would not defecate, nor would I donate excrement. However, if you transposed two letters in the subject of the thread, then there is a possible hypothetical situation, where, say I was holding a goldfish in my hand and the hatch glass wouldn't open so I couldn't get to the water in the back of the vibe, I might pass the fish on to someone else to hydrate, in which case I would give a carp if the hatch glass didn't open. Thinking about it, if I was somehow trapped in the back of the Vibe and egress through the doors was completely blocked, my only avenue of escape being the hatch glass, but being in no immediate peril and having adeqaute supplies of air, food and water, I suppose that enough time could elapse that I would give a crap, however, an argument could be made that I had given a crap as a result of the prior intake of food, and not directly reelated to the hatch glass not opening, that the crap would have been given eventually even if the hatch did open, so I guess that hypothetical situation, although unpleasant, does not result in a situation where having the hatch glass not open would cause me to give a crap.
Mase

Post by Mase »

You know what? I retract my previous statement of implied uselessness of the rear hatch glass. I have indeed used it a few times to load my gym bag.I have learned to put my gym back up in front with me though. That way I don't forget to take it out!
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »Hilarious!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Pick

Post by Pick »

I use mine quite frequently and was thrilled to see it had one when i bought it. Very handy for putting smaller things in and out of the back without having to open the entire door, it's simply much easier to open and close than the whole hatch.
Eric05 Vibe
B18B

Re: (Pick)

Post by B18B »

We have a rear-mounted bike carrier that attaches to the towing hitch at the rear end of the Vibe. When it is hooked up to the car, it is not possible to open the rear tailgate without hitting the carrier, making the hatch glass the only way of accessing the cargo area from the rear. I think its quite a convenient and thoughtful feature of the car.
Viben' round

Re: (B18B)

Post by Viben' round »

well even though, I don't use my hatch glass opening. I lkie to know it is operable. I also clean between the glass and the hatch whenever I clean my car, keeps the dirt buildup down to a minimum.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/485204 Mods: Lowes Mat in the trunk area, 6 1/2"Rockford Fosgate Fanatic P in the front, Pioneer 6 1/2" 3 ways in the back, JVC KD-LH810, Grafxwerks stuff, Chrome Lugs, Yakima Roof Rack, LandShark, LoadWarior, Bedmount Bike Rack (fits nicely in tracks) and BarrCrafter Snowboard racks
redlava

Re: (Viben' round)

Post by redlava »

I use it some. Most of the time I have the cargo cover hooked up, but I have probably used that access maybe 20 times since I have had the car. Doesn't really matter all that much to me if it is there, but it is an ok convience tool.
McVibe

Post by McVibe »

I use mine every weekday when I throw my bookbag in it when I'm leaving school. Also, it was kinda funny b/c when I first got my Vibe I didn't pay attention and when I thought I was poping my trunk, I was poping the liftglass so I rode around like that for like 2 weeks before i realized what was going on .
2004 Vibe Base Cosmo Racing CAI (Orange) Eurolite Xenon Headlights, foglights, reverse light, Licence Plate Lights and Dome Lights:star: JVC KD-DV5100 Headunit 7" Sharp LCD 2 12" Legacy 500w Subwoofers 400w Legacy Amp Custom Bult Sub box 3 Pillar pod Gauges Painted Engine Cover Jom Billet Aluminum Stubby Anntena
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon » in which case I would give a carp if the hatch glass didn't open. Thinking about it, if I was somehow trapped in the back of the Vibe and egress through the doors was completely blocked, my only avenue of escape being the hatch glass, but being in no immediate peril and having adeqaute supplies of air, food and water, I suppose that enough time could elapse that I would give a crap, however, an argument could be made that I had given a crap as a result of the prior intake of food, and not directly reelated to the hatch glass not opening, that the crap would have been given eventually even if the hatch did open, so I guess that hypothetical situation, although unpleasant, does not result in a situation where having the hatch glass not open would cause me to give a crap.Firstly: CARP! heheheSecondly:I don't think you can open the hatch if you are in the back w/out the remote, but a well-placed foot would probably solve that particular dilemma quite handily.Thirdly:What the CRAP are you doing stuck back there anyway?Results of a Fraternity prank?BTW, just today me and the kid stuffed some groceries back there, through the window.Quite handy actually.
05 Base Vibe, Abyss (also known as Black to un-Vibers)Auto, Power Pkg, 16" alu, 20% tint all around, Black powder coated roof rails (the anodizing didn't last in the sun)Member of S.A.V.E. (Secret Association of Vibe Enthusisasts)
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Great when taking the lawnmower to the service shop. Handle sticks out the window so you don't have to leave the back hatch open.However it would not surprised me if this were the next "decontenting" of the Vibe.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
MadBill

Post by MadBill »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »..., I keep the tonneau (sp?) cover across to keep stuff from flying around if I got in a wreck....The tonneau cover! You know, I had totally forgotten I had one! I rolled it up in that weird little hatch at the forward edge of the floor about a month after I got my Vibe almost 3 years ago and haven't thought of it since...
kiribeth

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (McVibe)

Post by kiribeth »

Quote, originally posted by McVibe »..., it was kinda funny b/c when I first got my Vibe I didn't pay attention and when I thought I was poping my trunk, I was poping the liftglass so I rode around like that for like 2 weeks before i realized what was going on .Same deal, but maybe only for two *days* then I read the manual and said "hey cool," and proceeed to show every member of my family. None of them seemed as thrilled as I was, but I think it's a great deal to open it from the passenger seat. I just pull into the garage, pop the liftglass, walk around to the back to get the groceries, then close the liftglass and the garage door. Works great. I'd definitely care if it didn't open!
2003 Base Satellite Two-toneMoon and TunesTinted WindowsPinstripesCreative Zen Touch Mp3 Belkin TuneCast IIGrafxWerks decals: Gonzaga Blue and White
ZubenElGenubi

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (kiribeth)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

FOA...I nominate joatman's analysis for Post of the Week! L'dMAO...Second, the only time I use the glass hatch is to clean under the glass, which really reveals how useless it is for me. I rarely would use it as an access point because I almost always have the cargo cover on.
Pick

Post by Pick »

Plus my dog loves sticking his head out of it when he's riding back there.
Eric05 Vibe
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

I think having the rear glass able to open is great. we use it all the time. It would be even better if it lowered down into the hatch like my old Jeep Wagoneer or the wife's Ford Sport Trac. Lowering the rear window a little bit allows you to drive with the side windows open and not have the air pressure pulsations cycling your eardrums. I have driven with the Vibe rear window up, you can get up to about 35mph before it slams closed...ooops.
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

nope.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
vibe owner

Post by vibe owner »

Hardly ever use it, and it makes the rear a pain to clean.
Pick

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (vibe owner)

Post by Pick »

Quote, originally posted by vibe owner » it makes the rear a pain to clean.Alrighty then lol
Eric05 Vibe
rAERRK

Post by rAERRK »

The only time I've ever had to open mine was when it was being tinted...Was going to use it when hauling a lawn mower, til I figured out the handlebars on the lawn mower folded
binary

Post by binary »

Like many posts here - I like that I have it, but don't use it often. I keep the cargo cover on, so I can't easily load things in and out of the window. When I get the windows tinted I'll be stowing the cover. I'll probably be using the glass much more because I hate the prints I leave on the edge of the gate when I close it.
gargoyle

Post by gargoyle »

It seems like an ok feature, although I haven't really used it much... just for some groceries a time or two. I'm afraid it's gonna break slamming it or if I accidentally pop the button and then drive with it open. [semi-hijack]Anyone have their back window break? from slamming it? riding with it open? or other reason?[/end hijack]
jmf2

Post by jmf2 »

Nope, never use it, actaully i wish it wasn't there, i open it by mistake sometimes. I really wish i knew how to change the tiny little wiper blade on the hatch, i've played with it a bit, but can't figure out how to get it off. i never got around to changing it on our first vibe before my son took care of the problem.
Current car: 2011 Red Hyundai Elantra. Last Vibe: 2005 Fusion Vibe A/T, power group, moon and tunes, ABS, alloy wheels, window tinting, stone/bug shield. First Vibe: 2003 Salsa Two Tone, A/T, power group, totaled by my son in a rollover accident, 7-8-2004
esjones

Post by esjones »

The hatch came in really handy.... no, essential, when I had to rent a lawn de-thatcher a while back. The handle stuck out of the hatch window very nicely as I transported the thing to and from the rental yard.
- Earl Earl Jones, Sales and MarketingHorizon Systems LLChttp://www.horizonsystems.com/ Skype ID: esjonesMy Vibe: '03 Base, 5-speed, ABS, Alum. Wheels, Power Pkg, DVD Nav., Security, Neptune/Graphite
Mr. Poopypants

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

I have used it once and it was because my buddy pressed the button because he thought it opened the hatch and since it was open, I just used it instead of opening the hatch. So I wouldn't care if it didn't open.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
Chris_W

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, I use mine often for groceries. Also it comes in handy when the Vibe is really loaded for camping and I only need to get something from the top of the pile.

Attached files
Chris W.2003 Vibe GT -- Six-Speed, Salsa, and Slate
soldierguy

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (Chris_W)

Post by soldierguy »

I don't have a Vibe (but I'm still thinking about one as a second vehicle). But my Grand Cherokee has the flip-up glass...I like it and use it a lot.At first I didn't think that I would, but it comes in handy for pulling out groceries. Because my parking garage is tiny, I can't open the full hatch on my Jeep if I'm backed into my parking spot, so the glass opening is perfect for getting groceries out. I can open it from the key fob or using a button on the hatch...totally handy.
soldierguyCurrent Vehicles:2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited: HEMI, Quadra-Drive II, rear-seat DVD entertainment, 6-disc in-dash Boston Acoustics sound system...I LOVE THIS VEHICLE!!! But I also still like hanging here at GenVibe!2000 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Club Cab 4.7L V8 - SOLDhttp://www.cardomain.com/id/soldierguy
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

yep!I like my rear window...