Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
gregoire

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by gregoire »

My Vibe is almost 3 yrs old, and have never used the hatch windowcome to think about it, I've never used the 2 prong ac outlet either!!
Gwar'03 Base, Auto, Salsa Monotone, Power Package, Moons & Tunes + 6 CD Changer, Anti-Theft'05 Base, Auto, Abyss Monotone, Power Package, Moons & Tunes + Monsoon, Tint 50% front, 20% rear and back
Mase

Re: (gregoire)

Post by Mase »

Quote, originally posted by gregoire »come to think about it, I've never used the 2 prong ac outlet either!! I've given up on my outlet. It's poorly positioned to plug a cell charger in. The little cover and the shifter gets in the way as well. It would have been better to design the outlet into the side of the shifter console next to the lower compartment. Better yet, right above the cell phone slot on the center console! hmm...sounds like a good DIY post...
kep427

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (drunkenvibe)

Post by kep427 »

I considered this a plus when I purchased the car and am glad I have this feature. I routinely use it instead of the entire hatch door to put in and retrieve items from the back of the car. I can't stand the way the license plate shakes when I use the whole door (I'm thinking of drilling some holes in the bottom of the license plate bracket so it's more secure). Also, closing the glass hatch takes much less energy than the entire door.
Happy owner of a '04 base Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

These kinds of threads make me nervous. A couple of years ago there was one that asked if anybody actually used their roof racks, and look what happend to them in the 2005 model year. Now, maybe bcause of this thread, the 2008 model year will come with hatch glass that doesn't open independently of the hatch, and we'll have bunch of new members asking if anyone has a whole hatch for sale in order to get the openable glass
goodvibrations

Re: (Pick)

Post by goodvibrations »

For me that was one of its selling features. I've only had the car a week but I find it great being able to open just the glass and load things in. add the cargo net accessory and you can't beat it on a grocery run. It will also be very handy on those tracks to the lumber yard. I had a VW Golf and it did not have a separate window. I sure could have used it, just makes the vechicle that much more useful. It is always better to have and not need than to need and not have.
2005 Neptune Vibe automatic,, power group.
Faultline

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (Mr. Poopypants)

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by Mr. Poopypants »I have used it once and it was because my buddy pressed the button because he thought it opened the hatch and since it was open, I just used it instead of opening the hatch. So I wouldn't care if it didn't open.This is me. I can't remember which way to turn the key, and so I am always opening the glass 1st. Then i open the hatch, and close the glass while the hatch is lifting up. I have issues.
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
BOZACK

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (Faultline)

Post by BOZACK »

I used it alot while camping. It came in handy as we kept the food and other equipment in the car at night. I have also used the tie down straps to keep the load tied down while traveling.
Monotone Neptune, pow pac, 17" stock rims, K&N air filter, bumper guard, custom pedels, brake light cover, billet oil cap
binary

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (BOZACK)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by BOZACK »I used it alot while camping. It came in handy as we kept the food and other equipment in the car at night. I have also used the tie down straps to keep the load tied down while traveling.Me too - didn't feel like feeding the local nature thieves (aka racoons). It came in very handy.
Pick

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (JohnC)

Post by Pick »

Quote, originally posted by JohnC » I have driven with the Vibe rear window up, you can get up to about 35mph before it slams closed...ooops. I got to just over 40mph twice and it didn't close on me.
Eric05 Vibe
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

I found out this weekend that I really like my hatch glass opening seperately.
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
O_Positive

Post by O_Positive »

What a neat question...and such thoughtful replies.Darned skippy I'd care if the hatch glass didn't open. While I could do without it (the '81 Honda Civic was SWEET in this regard), having the hatch glass open means:--I can still transport something 10 feet long and secure it inside the car;--If there is something too close to the car to open the hatch (like a tree, and I plan to be there), the glass will open in a smaller space.--All those previously posted "yes" votes about stuff falling out. I would also add less snow/rain getting in the car in bad weather.This car is just too danged versatile. Dad always said, "If they made the '81 Civic six inches taller, it could do it all." Well, they did. And I don't mean the overpriced CRV, either.
2003 Base Vibe 5-speedMoonroofFactory stereo upgradeHappiness started 9-19-2005
Toolman

Post by Toolman »

I use it all the time, I am 6 foot 4 inches and my short wife 5 foot 2 inches can not reach to load it.
http:/theeulogy.wirefire.com2003 Neptune Blue Moon and Tunes4 Speed AutoBluetooth Install(Wifes)2004 Torrid Red GTO Tinted WindowsBluetooth Install0-60mph in 5.2 seconds0-130mph in 22.5 seconds(Mine)
mcgusto82

Re: (Toolman)

Post by mcgusto82 »

i would like it better if it rolled down and not open out. could be used on a hot summer day. like the 4runner guys did. the only times i've ver opened it was to clean behind the weather strip.
angelkisses

Re: (Toolman)

Post by angelkisses »

I'm the wife & I'm only 5 foot 1 (with shoes on??) ha ha ha, this is a consant argument with us, he uses it all the time & have never once used it, my arms aren't long enough to comfortably reach down there, and as far as groceries I'm sure they would be easier to load like that but I never think of it, but I really liked the post that said something about testing their reflexes to see how fast they can catch the things falling out by not using the hatch window ha ha ha, that is too funny!!!! I like the little handle to put your hand in when you close the trunk so you don't get dusty fingerprints on the back of the Vibe, that is an AWESOME feature to me. I go for the cosmetic features ha ha ha.
Toolman's Little Angel http://theeulogy.wirefire.com
JenniRedd

Post by JenniRedd »

and here is another thing i didn't know i had until i got out my handy owner's manual. Ok ya know it's starting to dawn on me that maybe my salesperson wasn't the brightest crayon in the box, but once I found out it opened I just wanted to open it all the dang time to show people. I don't know why I just thought it was so neat!!
Later, Jenni ReddJenni Redds 2005 Vibe: Silver with black interior. The seat covers and air freshner have the dragon surrounding the yin-yang. Besides that everything is all factory!! I will eventually do some customizing.
slvrvibes

Post by slvrvibes »

I use mine all the time. Easier to get groceries in.
genvibe garage
cieglo

Post by cieglo »

I use it about monthly when i get involved in a home project i half-finish. 2x4's, pvc pipe, stuff like that...i like it!
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
4azdmunky

Post by 4azdmunky »

I would have to say no, in fact i bet my wife doesnt even know it opens.I use it to make sure the stuff back there doesnt fall out when opening the back, like dead hookers and such.
binary

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (Pick)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by Pick »I got to just over 40mph twice and it didn't close on me.Depends on the ambient tempurature - the colder the compressed gas in the hatch struts - the weaker they are.The hatch on my car doesn't fully raise when it's below 30 degrees. The glass struts are plenty strong though. For those of us over 6' tall - using the glass to load the back of our vibe's is easier on our skulls. I don't know how many times I've smacked my head on the hatch... especially when it's colder out.I'd probably remember - if I hadn't hit my head so many times.
PopeyeFAFL

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

I used it all the time for grocery bags (one or two bags, I never do a big grocery, several small ones).I used a bungy cord, in fact a four legs bungy with a central ring, look like an octopus. So those four "J" hooks are grabbing the four anchors at the end of the cargo compartment.After I lift the hatch, I just expand these bungy to squeeze the grocery bags.
JenniRedd

Post by JenniRedd »

yeah i know about hitting the head even though i'm short. When i had my sister with me a few months ago, her 5'10' self went to close the hatch with me standing 5'2" beside her and she hit my head. You tall people just don't understand our grief. LOL! Then another day we were traveling with her dogs and I was driving. One of them was being unruly and would not sit down and he got behind my seat and some how swung his head around and hit me in the back of the head pretty dang hard. I was about 2 seconds from pulling over and letting them all out. it was mad crazy!!
Later, Jenni ReddJenni Redds 2005 Vibe: Silver with black interior. The seat covers and air freshner have the dragon surrounding the yin-yang. Besides that everything is all factory!! I will eventually do some customizing.
coldmm803

Re: (JenniRedd)

Post by coldmm803 »

i used it once or twice but when i got my viper alarm sys i lost the ability to open it using remote and stopped
Vibr8tr

Re: (coldmm803)

Post by Vibr8tr »

I see it like the AUX power, I never use it, and it really would not change my life much if it wasn't there. However those one or two times I used it, it was the best thing in the world. Just for things like when I have something in my hands, and I can just kinda hit the button and the glass opens, instead of juggling things trying to reach the handle. nothing major, but that one or two times I used it it was great.
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

In my opinion, they could get rid of it and knock a couple bucks off the price of the car, or apply that cost towards standard cruise control. I find it strange that Pontiac can make power mirrors and a digital thermometer standard, but can't throw a $65.00 switch (dealer parts counter price) on the steering wheel to give us criuse.Just my little rant for the day.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
trtlflwrs

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by trtlflwrs »

yup yup, i like it...usually for UN-loading groceries after they've all danced around in the trunk on the way home. although the most action it's seen was during the first week i owned the vibe. i thought it was cool that i had an "SUV feature" on my little vibe so i showed it off to all my friends and fam.P.S. for those of you who hate the finger marks in the dirt on your big hatch door: use the handle to pull the hatch down then push it closed using the license plate as a place to put your fingers. no marks in the dirt! (well, just the "WASH ME" written by a twerp)
2007 sun & sound, preferred pack, 5-speed, mono Abyss with metallic blue pins... oooh aaaah
Tubaryan12

Post by Tubaryan12 »

I use mine all the time. In fact, it's one of the reasons I wouldn't buy a Dodge Caliber.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
Vibr8tr

Post by Vibr8tr »

The Caliber doesn't have one that opens? That sucks.... I just figured it did, and I wanted one.
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
mcgusto82

Re: (Vibr8tr)

Post by mcgusto82 »

i went 2 years with the vibe and i can count in one hand how many times i used that feature. if it was a roll down like the 4Runner, it would get more usage, i think.
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Only use it when cleaning the inside of the glass. LOL
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
Tubaryan12

Re: (trtlflwrs)

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Quote, originally posted by trtlflwrs »P.S. for those of you who hate the finger marks in the dirt on your big hatch door: use the handle to pull the hatch down then push it closed using the license plate as a place to put your fingers. If you pull it down just hard enough it will shut softly on its own.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

i almost never use that glass hatchand for the big hatch- i just use the handle and throw it down like the big wheel on the price is right
CAN-AWD-VIBE03 Neptune AWDInjen CAI, Hotchkis springs, custom magnaflow exhaust w/4" tip, tint, window deflectors, stubby antenna, 3pc Mr. Grille, foglight conversion mod, Grafxwerks front & steering wheels overlays, Injen oil cap, strut tower brace, P225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 17" ADR Sokudos
chemrebel

Re: (CAN-AWD-VIBE)

Post by chemrebel »

we've actually had use for it once when hauling home a playground kit for my kid and some of the components had to hang out. it's one of those features that until you have a use for it you kinda scratch your head wondering why it's there. but boy is it handy when you do need it.BUT...the crazy thing is on my s**t list. somehow i managed to bump the button for it without realizing it and for like 3 days was wondering why my "door ajar" button was on and my dome light wouldn't shut off by itself.and yes i am blonde...
Chemrebelproud owner of The Coolest Mom-Mobile Ever! 2005 Vibe Base Lava MonotoneCustom Mom-Mods: Installation of Cosco Scenara and Graco Snugride car seats
sk8r78

Post by sk8r78 »

I guess I would miss it, although it doesn't get used as much as the main hatch. its a nice convienence to have even if it doesn't get used alot. The new model of Matrix is rumored to have a fixed glass hatch so thats will be the end of it.
slvrvibes

Re: (sk8r78)

Post by slvrvibes »

It has come in handy a few times. Occassionally I use it when I just have a few grocery bags.
genvibe garage
trtlflwrs

Re: (CAN-AWD-VIBE)

Post by trtlflwrs »

Quote, originally posted by CAN-AWD-VIBE »and for the big hatch- i just use the handle and throw it down like the big wheel on the price is rightthat's awesome! made me laugh picturing you doing that, and i do tend to do that too... after backing out of the garage with the hatch up on my old civic, i had to slam that hatch... it's hard to break that habit on the vibe!
2007 sun & sound, preferred pack, 5-speed, mono Abyss with metallic blue pins... oooh aaaah
MrDoopey

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (BOZACK)

Post by MrDoopey »

Quote, originally posted by BOZACK »I used it alot while camping. It came in handy as we kept the food and other equipment in the car at night. I have also used the tie down straps to keep the load tied down while traveling.I have done the same.We load our car to the top with camping gear, and I find it handy to open the whole hatch, load the big stuff as much as I can, and then shut the hatch, and stuff the little things through that window. It really allows you to completely fill up the back!
MrDoopey 2003 base model, two-tone abyss, automatic, with power package, 6 speaker package
bh357

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (MrDoopey)

Post by bh357 »

I use mine quite often.I have a hitch mounted bike carrier, and although the carrier does tilt, I like the convienence of being able to open the glass without having to monkey with the bike and carrier.
waveresponder

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (4azdmunky)

Post by waveresponder »

Quote, originally posted by 4azdmunky »I use it to make sure the stuff back there doesnt fall out when opening the back, like dead hookers and such.(removed)!
tribalman

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (binary)

Post by tribalman »

Quote, originally posted by binary »The glass struts are plenty strong though. For those of us over 6' tall - using the glass to load the back of our vibe's is easier on our skulls. I don't know how many times I've smacked my head on the hatch... especially when it's colder out.I'd probably remember - if I hadn't hit my head so many times. yeah... 6'4" here also. at my house i park on a slight incline, whenever i have to put stuff into the back and i open the whole hatch. bonk. i usually use the glass to put stuff into the back. but they aren't groceries like everyone else says! yay for being the odd one out. as for the closing of the whole hatch, i use the inside handle to lower it enough to grab it by the outside handle and close it that way.
None. Vibe is gone.
lovemyraffe

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open?

Post by lovemyraffe »

I don't use the glass very often, I could get by without it but do like it on rare occasions.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

hmmm.... i've actually started using it more since i read this thread!!
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
02csnow

Re: (ramenboy...)

Post by 02csnow »

I am happy that our cars have the hatch glass. I use it very frequently. Yesterday to be exact. Went shopping with the wife and it is alot easier to open that and throw the bags in the back rather than lifting the whole gate open.
Bye Bye Vibe.............
futureviber

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (BlueCrush)

Post by futureviber »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Yes, I have used it many times: 2x4's, roll of carpeting, listen to exhaust while driving when it was first installed, groceries, etc...It's great while shopping to use the remote to just pop it, drop it and shut it.Crap, I think I've been driving with my window opened... it always sounds like its opened, but i couldnt figure it out (honestly, I never tried) i have hit that button before on accident but didnt think about it.... I will have to check it in the morning... haha, wow... its been a long day. I know what you are thinking, and my hair is brown, thank you very much!Oh, and I use that handle thing to shut it, but it took me like a month to realize that it was there (pay attention much?) and i just get it going enough that i dont have to touch the back. My friend has a caliber and we went somewhere in my vibe, she slammed my hatch hard core one day I was like geesh! does your hatch not shut or something!!
futureviber

Post by futureviber »

so the bf and i both tried to get the hatch window opened with the remote and we couldnt get it. am i stupid or could something be not working?
Burn

Post by Burn »

You have to keep pushing on the button for like 3 or 4 seconds
lovemyraffe

Re: (futureviber)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I don't have to hold the button on the remote, but sometimes it does take a few pushes to get it to open.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
jhoward

Re: Would you give a crap if your hatch glass didn't open? (drunkenmaxx)

Post by jhoward »

I love the window that opens. It was an important feature in my purchase. I have put litterally tons of lumber in my Vibe. 2X4's to big 4X12 beams and lengths up to 16 feet!Christmas trees, surf boards, furniture kits, U name it I've put it in my Vibe. This is a the greatest car to have if you can't have a truck!Don't take away my window hatch please!
futureviber

Re: (Burn)

Post by futureviber »

Woohoo I got it opened! i just had to hold down the button for like 2 seconds adn it popped opened!! yay! Thank you!