New Member - Advice on engine swap!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
1Vibefrom2

New Member - Advice on engine swap!

Post by 1Vibefrom2 »

Hi all, I have 2 AWD vibes with issues and I'm hoping to combine them and end up with one good runner. Would lke your advice before I dig in next week, so here goes:

#1 2004 black AWD- blown engine at over 300k, but everything else good. Wife lost the serpentine belt on the highway and didn't notice until it overheated... cranks with zero compression. No rust on subframe, no leaks in transfer case or rear diff, used tranny with @120k. Ran and drove great until last summer.

#2 2006 red AWD- great running engine with 196k, well maintained by previous first owner with Mobil 1 synthetic. Left rear axle just rusted out and wheel is at severe angle. Right rear axle shot through with rust. Front wheel bearing needs replacement. Rear diff seal on left side leaking. Body damage on both front fenders and badly dented radiator and a/c grille from minor accidents though no leaks.

So I'm thinking an engine swap from 06 red to 04 black would be the best idea, save the 06 red for parts/tranny.
Or would it be better to replace the rear subframe and wheel bearing on 06 red?
I've watched a couple engine replacements on YouTube and looks very simple going out the top. Those are fwd, am I missing something that would make the awd a bigger challenge? Have a cherry picker on loan soon to do the job...

Please help with your sage advice, and links any other posts/Resources which would help with the particulars in the repair. Also if I pull the negine what else should I do at the same time to prolong the life of the car?
zbyers

Re: New Member - Advice on engine swap!

Post by zbyers »

Welcome to the best group on the internet!

I think it is always better to put an engine in a cleaner car, than to put clean parts on a shoddy car.

Engine swap on the AWD isn't toooo much different than the FWD. I think the biggest variation would come in on removing the drive shaft or front diff. otherwise, pull it all out as an assembly, and reinstall the same way.

What's your location? You may be near some members who can stop by and supervise. :lol:
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

zbyers wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:05 am Welcome to the best group on the internet!

I think it is always better to put an engine in a cleaner car, than to put clean parts on a shoddy car.

Engine swap on the AWD isn't toooo much different than the FWD. I think the biggest variation would come in on removing the drive shaft or front diff. otherwise, pull it all out as an assembly, and reinstall the same way.

What's your location? You may be near some members who can stop by and supervise. :lol:
You're just hoping for free beer.
1Vibefrom2

Post by 1Vibefrom2 »

I'm in southwestern Wisconsin near Hillsboro, plenty of beer on hand if anyone wants to come help!

Everything disconnected except the engine mounts and one bell housing bolt... can you confirm there are 6 on awd? Hoping I can get to it without Removing the exhaust manifold, going in from the top due to the front differential.

Removed 2 bolts from the front differential that go into a support bracket on the engine, hopefully there's enough room for the bracket to sneak past the diff do it can stay in place.

Any other tips or things to look out for? Please help, this is my first engine removal ever!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I have no idea how many there are on an AWD. I haven't actually pulled an engine myself on these, just the trans on a 6 speed.

So long as you disconnect the diff and related components, you should be able to pull everything else up from the top.

1Vibefrom2

Post by 1Vibefrom2 »

Well, the engine is out of the red 2006! :D

Turns out there were 8 bell housing bolts plus another support bracket on the top of the front differential.
I'm halfway to getting the blown engine out of the black 2004 and it should be on the ground by tomorrow night.

This handy tip from Toyota Nation:
2005-2008 Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe engine in a 2003-2004 Corolla/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe:

Almost direct swap - If the engine has an intake manifold it will need to be swapped with the original manifold from the 2003-2004 engine. Also the sensor in the exhaust manifold is not the same and will need to be swapped from the 2003-2004 if it is used. The wiring harness is also different and the original will also need to be swapped if the engine came with one.

They also recommend replacing a long list of items on the engine but I will forego that seeing as how this engine came out of a well maintained car (not a junkyard swap).
Let me know if you think that's a bad idea!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

There are a few things that are worth doing if you have the engine pulled _anyway_. Mostly gaskets and seals. Maybe timing chain tensioner and water pump. Basically, the things you'd need to be doing at some point, no matter what, but you have easy access to them - so a 5 hour job will be an hour, or less.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bookworm wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:10 pm There are a few things that are worth doing if you have the engine pulled _anyway_. Mostly gaskets and seals. Maybe timing chain tensioner and water pump. Basically, the things you'd need to be doing at some point, no matter what, but you have easy access to them - so a 5 hour job will be an hour, or less.
Agreed. I wouldn't worry about other things they suggest replacing, but I would reseal everything that you can... valve cover, timing cover, front main, crank seal, timing chain tensioner o-ring, etc. And because you'd be removing water pump to do the timing cover gasket, might as well do the water pump too. You will eventually leak from those places, so you might as well fix it before it happens.

1Vibefrom2

Post by 1Vibefrom2 »

Bad engine is out of the black 2004! Piece of cake after the first one! :P

Thanks so much for the backup! Ordering an Aisin water punp from RockAuto tonight. Would you go ACDelco 180F on the thermostat or Toyota? Do you agree Toyota is best for the gaskets and seals?

Had a friend over and since the engine overheated in the black 2004 he said I MUST do the following, what do you think? Anything else to consider so all my work doesn't go up in smoke?

- Replace radiator - duh! Nasty gunk in there...
- Flush heater box (hot water necessary?)
- Replace tranny fluid (not burnt but doesn't look good and may be metal shavings in there)
- Clean and reseal tranny pan
- New tranny filter if it's in there
- Blow tranny lines out with air
- Run for 50 miles and drain/fill tranny again.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Aisin is the OEM thermostat for the vibe. Buy it from the toyota side. Oddly enough, Rockauto doesn't seem to know that it's for the Vibe.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Oh - don't blow the transmission lines out with air. That's as bad, or worse, as doing a power flush. It can force pieces into places from which they won't come out.

if you want to flush it out completely, use one of the cut the cooling lines tutorials on here.