too cold to start 09 Vibe

Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan
farmerboy71

too cold to start 09 Vibe

Post by farmerboy71 »

One night after Church I went out and everyone's vehicle started but my 09 Vibe 1.8liter. It was -30some . The car started and ran for about 2 or 3 seconds and then quit. I tried to start it again and it would fire and quit and then finally it wouldn't even fire. I left it over night and went back in the morning (even colder) and it fired right up. I think the chipped key must not have been recognized or something but the dealer couldn't find a code. Anyone else have this trouble or hear of it?
jOkErSvIbE

Re: too cold to start 09 Vibe (farmerboy71)

Post by jOkErSvIbE »

Came into a similar sounding issue, temperature was much warmer though, around 4 degC.Engine was cold, tried starting it, it fired and stalled, then sounded like it was whining (like the starter was just turning). then nothing for a few more minutes (thought the fuel injection might have flooded the engine). the next time I tried it it chugged a bit then gave it some gas and it started no problem.Did you ever get this diagnosed?
goochsmooch

Re: too cold to start 09 Vibe (farmerboy71)

Post by goochsmooch »

Hey guys,I drove my '09 throughout last winter and I never had any troubles with starting. The first time it hit -30-ish the Tire Pressure Monitoring light came on because the cold air shrunk the tires, but that was the only issue with the cold.I have a manual transmission and I do notice that if I don't have the clutch FULLY engaged, it does a sort of false start.Hopefully it isn't anything serious.
2009 1.8L Vibe - Manual
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

The '09 1.8's have a fully automated starting system. I believe it will continue to crank for up to 30 seconds at a time if necessary to get it to start!If it doesn't seem to be working properly, I'd just try removing the key for a couple of minutes (and keep it away from the ignition switch), then try again and see what happens. Mine's a 2.4, so I can't experiment at all. It took me a while to get used to having to crank it so long to get it to start - compared to my old Sunfire. I think the coil on plug ignition must require a couple of full revolutions of the engine before applying spark/fuel or something. The Sunfire had the older coil pack waste-spark system, which always started very quickly. I suspect that the tougher emission requirements made the new system mandatory.There was one day I wished the 2.4 had the same automated system as the 1.8. I had briefly stopped to check something on my boat trailer, and when I got back in I forgot that it was already running (too quiet apparently), and tried to start it again! I'm glad I didn't really hear the nasty noises that I'm sure I generated - but it actually shut itself off after that - requiring another restart. I'd never done that before on any car - and hopefully never again! The 1.8 wouldn't have let that happen.John
farmerboy1971

Re: too cold to start 09 Vibe

Post by farmerboy1971 »

It did the same thing to me this past winter in almost the same place! I think it was something to do with the key/chip which is real weird. I switched with the other key and away it went. If it happens again I'm going to look to see if the security light is on.
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

farmerboy1971 wrote:It did the same thing to me this past winter in almost the same place! I think it was something to do with the key/chip which is real weird. I switched with the other key and away it went. If it happens again I'm going to look to see if the security light is on.
Vibes don't have transponders in the keys.
farmerboy1971

Post by farmerboy1971 »

pretty sure mine does.
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

I had a couple of keys made at a hardware store and they work just fine in my '10 2.4, so no chips. Did some Vibes have remote start or remote auto-unlock that needed chips?
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'm assuming Canada based on the forum. :)

The Canadian-spec Vibes from 2008-on probably would have the transponder... They had a law passed sometime around 2007 which made immobilizers mandatory standard equipment on cars. It starts mentioning the presence of the immobilizer in the 2008 owner's manual.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

ColonelPanic wrote:The Canadian-spec Vibes from 2008-on probably would have the transponder... They had a law passed sometime around 2007 which made immobilizers mandatory standard equipment on cars. It starts mentioning the presence of the immobilizer in the 2008 owner's manual.
Yep, I have read on here many times that the 2009-2010 Canadian Vibes had the engine immobilizer standard which would mean they all have the transponder keys.

FWIW, both our Vibes have the engine immobilizer (theft-deterrent alarm system) and we've never had any problems with them not starting, etc.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

vibenvy wrote:
ColonelPanic wrote:The Canadian-spec Vibes from 2008-on probably would have the transponder... They had a law passed sometime around 2007 which made immobilizers mandatory standard equipment on cars. It starts mentioning the presence of the immobilizer in the 2008 owner's manual.
FWIW, both our Vibes have the engine immobilizer (theft-deterrent alarm system) and we've never had any problems with them not starting, etc.
How can one quickly tell if they have the theft deterrent alarm system option on the 2nd gen?

FWIW, I've noticed this car seems to take a little bit longer to crank over than I'm use to, both old cars and more recent models.....
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

If your 2009-2010 Vibe is equipped with the Theft-Deterrent Alarm System (engine immobilizer), there will be a "button (you can't push it in or anything)" next to the Traction Control button that says "SECURITY". The passenger airbag "screen" will have the word "SECURITY" on the bottom of it with a little red light that will flash whenever the engine's not running. Lastly, the ignition (the part the key goes into) will be metal
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

farmerboy1971 wrote:pretty sure mine does.
Oop, disregard. Learned something new. :)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

vibenvy wrote:If your 2009-2010 Vibe is equipped with the Theft-Deterrent Alarm System (engine immobilizer), there will be a "button (you can't push it in or anything)" next to the Traction Control button that says "SECURITY". The passenger airbag "screen" will have the word "SECURITY" on the bottom of it with a little red light that will flash whenever the engine's not running. Lastly, the ignition (the part the key goes into) will be metal.
I forgot to mention that the RPO code for the Theft-Deterrent Alarm System is UA6. So, you could also check the RPO code sticker in the glovebox to see whether or not your Vibe is equipped with the Theft-Deterrent Alarm System.
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

vibenvy wrote:If your 2009-2010 Vibe is equipped with the Theft-Deterrent Alarm System (engine immobilizer), there will be a "button (you can't push it in or anything)" next to the Traction Control button that says "SECURITY". The passenger airbag "screen" will have the word "SECURITY" on the bottom of it with a little red light that will flash whenever the engine's not running. Lastly, the ignition (the part the key goes into) will be metal
Yepper, that is what I have. Hence I was wondering if it was just all for show, or something halfway legit.
Was wanting to get another key and figured I need a transponder chip for the immobilizer in order to start the car